Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there guys ,anyone using a Toyota Yaris as a tow car ? If so what are your thoughts please ?,good or bad.
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Am I too assume that the Toyota Yaris is not a good tow car:LOL:
Brian & Jo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cant speak about a Yaris.......... But the Toyota Aygo takes some beating,,, especially the 5 door.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Sorry too bump this thread,just keen to find someone with a Yaris toad(y)
Brian & Jo

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Brian and Jo, can't help with the toad part but I drive a Yaris and love it. They are quite weighty though.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Hi Brian and Jo, can't help with the toad part but I drive a Yaris and love it. They are quite weighty though.
Hi mousy that's good to know thx.according too stats it weighs in at 1040kgs which I think will be fine behind the tag axle Arto.
Brian & Jo

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yaris is heavier that the Aygo.

Aygo is just under 900 Kg and the Yaris is 1000 Kg . The company's that fit the Aframe towing equipment tend to develop the kit for popular cars. Aygo , Smart , Panda and the IQ like we have just bought. Not yet seen a Yaris but I bet it can be done . Toyotas are brilliant cars so why not !

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Just been on armitage trailers web site and they do frames for the Yaris so it can be done.

Liz

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi mousy that's good to know thx.according too stats it weighs in at 1040kgs which I think will be fine behind the tag axle Arto.
Brian & Jo
Hi Brian & Jo, when I was looking for a small car to tow I quite fancied the Yaris due to size, versatility to use as general day to day car too. I was at a dealership just having had a test drive when I got a call from my brother-in-law who is a AA patrol/recovery driver he had just discovered that the AA had instruction on their systems that the Toyota Yaris should not be recovered by use of a flat tow under any circumstances but no further details.
I therefore contacted the local Toyota dealership to query what the problem was with regards to this. They had never heard of such a thing, they even checked with their head mechanic and he had never heard of this. The person I dealt with was good enough to take my number and was going to enquire with Toyota Technical department. He came back to me 30 minutes later and confined they should NOT be flat towed by use of A-bar, apparently the chassis is not constructed to withstand this.
Sorry for going round the bushes with this but I wanted to show this is not something readily put out there, even the Toyota dealership and service engineer had no knowledge.
As one of the above posts suggests one of the A-frame suppliers provides the bar kit for a Yaris, this doesn't mean it will be safe. I was happy to take the word of AA and Toyota UK Technical who had given the warning to the AA.
As a result of this, the next cars I decided fitted the needs I required, I first checked relevant manufacturer technical departments. I actually ended up with a Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 5 door, loads of leg/head room, back seats drop down for increased boot space which is bigger than you'd expect.
Got the tow kit for it from Car-A-Tow and fitted myself quite easily.
I hope this is of assistance.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There are various companies who fit these towing devices.
Only one gives certification that the set up is completely legal and meets all requirements . They hand the user comprehensive certification when the job is completed.
Same company will refuse to fit kit to any car they consider not suitable for ANY reason .

With respect there is more BS talked on this forum by people who either have no idea what they are talking about or just want to stir things up it really is disappointing.

Look at the popular cars we see being used and try to pick one of those.

I contacted Toyota GB before buying a car and they confirmed the Aygo and the IQ are suitable for towing using an approved A frame set up and that there would be NO warranty implications by the use of.

Speak to those that supply the equipment and fit. Those that also provide documentation to say it's all legal and above board. It is they whose arse is in the sling if issues arise.

Sits back and waits for incoming :D

Last edited:

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We tow a Fiat 500 on a frame at the moment and have for the last 3 years we are looking to change car so this thread has been informative will stay away from the Yaris but I have seen plenty of iQ's and Aygo's being toad so will look again at these, also the Mitsubishi that @Wickolad mentioned.

Liz

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Hi Brian & Jo, when I was looking for a small car to tow I quite fancied the Yaris due to size, versatility to use as general day to day car too. I was at a dealership just having had a test drive when I got a call from my brother-in-law who is a AA patrol/recovery driver he had just discovered that the AA had instruction on their systems that the Toyota Yaris should not be recovered by use of a flat tow under any circumstances but no further details.
I therefore contacted the local Toyota dealership to query what the problem was with regards to this. They had never heard of such a thing, they even checked with their head mechanic and he had never heard of this. The person I dealt with was good enough to take my number and was going to enquire with Toyota Technical department. He came back to me 30 minutes later and confined they should NOT be flat towed by use of A-bar, apparently the chassis is not constructed to withstand this.
Sorry for going round the bushes with this but I wanted to show this is not something readily put out there, even the Toyota dealership and service engineer had no knowledge.
As one of the above posts suggests one of the A-frame suppliers provides the bar kit for a Yaris, this doesn't mean it will be safe. I was happy to take the word of AA and Toyota UK Technical who had given the warning to the AA.
As a result of this, the next cars I decided fitted the needs I required, I first checked relevant manufacturer technical departments. I actually ended up with a Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 5 door, loads of leg/head room, back seats drop down for increased boot space which is bigger than you'd expect.
Got the tow kit for it from Car-A-Tow and fitted myself quite easily.
I hope this is of assistance.
Hi there and thanks for your input.the company that i am dealing with are saying that there was issues with the earlier Yaris but the later ones,the one we are looking at is 2013 model and they are assuring me that they are now fine after toyota have altered the chassis.
Brian and Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
forgot to mention that the car we are looking at already has an electronically braked a-frame fitted by Towbars 2 towcars.so one would assume that if they have fitted it then the car must be suitable or am i missing something.
Brian & Jo

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I wrote to Toyota in 2003. ref; the Yaris. The reply advised use of a "Dolly". However in the absence of same "Put the gearbox into neutral and ensure Neutral IS engaged by moving the vehicle, prior to Towing". The implication being that it would be OK. I suspect they where "a88e Covering!". to a certain extent. (as they are all wont to do!).

Pete

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
forgot to mention that the car we are looking at already has an electronically braked a-frame fitted by Towbars 2 towcars.so one would assume that if they have fitted it then the car must be suitable or am i missing something.
Brian & Jo

If your kit has been fitted by tow bars to towcars you have no worries . They are the company I alluded to above. They would not fit the kit of the car was not strong enough or suitable. If you had mentioned this above it may have prevented those commenting that the car was not strong enough .

I am going to that company to have the kit fitted to the IQ I've just bought .

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
If you had mentioned this
i was going too but didnt want to start using names in case anything untoward came out.but im sure that if they have fitted the frame to the car that all will be well.(y)
Brian & Jo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Jo drives..!!!!!!!

Save your money buy one of these...
Tow Rope 3 Ton, Silverline
£8.50 from 10+ shops
upload_2016-2-1_16-6-39.jpeg

That will cost you one bottle of White Wine....

I`m good to you...... :giggler:

:*

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Yaris is heavier that the Aygo.

Aygo is just under 900 Kg and the Yaris is 1000 Kg . The company's that fit the Aframe towing equipment tend to develop the kit for popular cars. Aygo , Smart , Panda and the IQ like we have just bought. Not yet seen a Yaris but I bet it can be done . Toyotas are brilliant cars so why not !
i use a iq as a toad and find it suits the job just no complaints.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
i was going too but didnt want to start using names in case anything untoward came out.but im sure that if they have fitted the frame to the car that all will be well.(y)
Brian & Jo

I have looked long and hard at these devices and researched the various companies that supply and fit them . I have spoken at length to the guys at T 2 T several times.

The set up they do is IMHO the best out there at the moment. The way the braking system works is brilliant and despite what the nay Sayers say meets current legislation and is entirely legal . My daughter is a lawyer and says no way could a company supply the guarantees that come with the installation unless they are sure it complies .

The A frame itself is the lightest one on the market and it's easy to install . It goes easily into its storage bag and stores in the boot easily even in the smallest of the wee cars we choose.

If your car has come ready equipped you may have saved a lot of money. The cost of supply and installation is 2000 quid.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
With respect there is more BS talked on this forum by people who either have no idea what they are talking about or just want to stir things up it really is disappointing.
I wouldn't have said the information I put up was bullshit and in no way added to 'stir things up'.
I put on the information so that the OP didn't buy a car that wasn't suitable as I very nearly did. I made no mention of the Aygo or IQ as they are a popular choice of toad and obviously suitable for flat towing. So what part of my input are you suggesting is bullshit? As for having superior knowledge of A frames and suitable toads, I never said I was an expert, but merely passed on information given to me by the experts (Toyota Technical) at the time I enquired about a 2012 vehicle, so I quite obviously knew 'Something' about it.
Instead of just spewing insults at people that are trying to give helpful input, try putting the same effort into something constructive.
There's another post running on this forum, "What Pissed You Off This Week?"
Well, your negative comments pretty much did it for me, thank you :*

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi there and thanks for your input.the company that i am dealing with are saying that there was issues with the earlier Yaris but the later ones,the one we are looking at is 2013 model and they are assuring me that they are now fine after toyota have altered the chassis.
Brian and Jo
Thanks for that Brian, I was beginning to think the information I had been given was rubbish. The car I very nearly bought was a 2012, just under 2 years old, I was gutted as I really liked the car. My concern at the time was that having been told it wasn't suitable by Toyota Technical but going ahead with the towing kit that I was told at the time by a company was available for that car, any mishaps wouldn't be covered with insurance. It's good to hear they've now sorted the chassis to enable it to be used as a toad. That information wasn't passed to me at the time. (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I wouldn't have said the information I put up was bullshit and in no way added to 'stir things up'.
I put on the information so that the OP didn't buy a car that wasn't suitable as I very nearly did. I made no mention of the Aygo or IQ as they are a popular choice of toad and obviously suitable for flat towing. So what part of my input are you suggesting is bullshit? As for having superior knowledge of A frames and suitable toads, I never said I was an expert, but merely passed on information given to me by the experts (Toyota Technical) at the time I enquired about a 2012 vehicle, so I quite obviously knew 'Something' about it.
Instead of just spewing insults at people that are trying to give helpful input, try putting the same effort into something constructive.
There's another post running on this forum, "What Pissed You Off This Week?"
Well, your negative comments pretty much did it for me, thank you :*

As it happens I did not name you... I did not name you for a reason. That reason was simply put I was not having a go at OR referring to you. Trust me if I was I would have said so .

My comments were made as a generalisation. Why ? Well because there is more bull $hit talked on the A frame topic than just about anything on this forum or any other forum for that matter .

People will opine on the subject when often they have done no research whatsoever on the subject. I often think these people are either just against A frames for what reason I have no idea. OR they just do not understand the reasons some choose to use them OR are just having fun at the expense of those looking for advice. IE stirring things up.

I apologise if you think I was having a go at you but be assured that was not the case.

Perhaps you should read more carefully before going off on one . That was a go at you by the way .

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Can someone point me in the right direction for the uk legislation on towing toads in the uk?
i tow a toad (renault clio) so would like to see the legalities of towing a toad.

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Can some point me in the right direction for the uk legislation on towing toads in the uk?
i tow a toad (renault clio) so would like to see the legalities of towing a toad.

If you ring Towbars 2 towcars they will pop you an information pack in the post. It will refer of course to how their equipment works and how it conforms to legislation. But from that it will inform you fully and hopefully answer your questions .

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
If you ring Towbars 2 towcars they will pop you an information pack in the post. It will refer of course to how their equipment works and how it conforms to legislation. But from that it will inform you fully and hopefully answer your questions .
no! i want to see the legislation in black and white on the government website.
also how does the brakeaway cable work on these systems,if it operates the A frame handbrake its illegal ,it must operate the car handbrake because if the car brakes away from the A frame it will become un-braked.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
no! i want to see the legislation in black and white on the government website.
also how does the brakeaway cable work on these systems,if it operates the A frame handbrake its illegal ,it must operate the car handbrake because if the car brakes away from the A frame it will become un-braked.

Was trying to help.... Go find it yourself .

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I apologise if you think I was having a go at you but be assured that was not the case.

Perhaps you should read more carefully before going off on one . That was a go at you by the way .

Hey up Charlie, none needed and last comment rightly deserved. I think I'm getting over sensitive as I get older, totally misunderstood what you'd put. I too tow a toad if and when we decide we may need it and think the A frames are a great bit of kit. Only drawback I have is the weight of mine. Having re read the comment I now know exactly what you in fact meant. I hold my hand up to getting total wrong end of the stick, I'll have to start reading more carefully. Apologies to you for the misguided rant, if you're at Newark show I owe you a drink.(y)
I should start a new thread.....
How did you make a prat of yourself this week? Hahaa.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hey up Charlie, none needed and last comment rightly deserved. I think I'm getting over sensitive as I get older, totally misunderstood what you'd put. I too tow a toad if and when we decide we may need it and think the A frames are a great bit of kit. Only drawback I have is the weight of mine. Having re read the comment I now know exactly what you in fact meant. I hold my hand up to getting total wrong end of the stick, I'll have to start reading more carefully. Apologies to you for the misguided rant, if you're at Newark show I owe you a drink.(y)
I should start a new thread.....
How did you make a prat of yourself this week? Hahaa.

No worries mate ... Cyber hand shake ?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Was trying to help.... Go find it yourself .
no need to find it! i have read the legislation many times and its a gray area,how any company can say they cover the legislation when truly there is none amazes me.
if someone wants to prove me wrong ,crack on im listening.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
how does the brakeaway cable work on these systems,if it operates the A frame handbrake its illegal ,it must operate the car handbrake because if the car brakes away from the A frame it will become un-braked.

Chris...... In answer to your above question...

In the photo, you can see a little ring, which is lightly held in place on the front of the car...

A break-away cable fixes to this then to the motorhome...

If the car comes detached.... the ring is pulled and thus applies the handbrake on the car.. (y)

PS..... The car is on a trailer because we were just leaving for Spain....... I may be wrong.... But........

I THINK "A" Frames possibly might be illegal in Spain.....

But don`t quote me..... :wink:

How are you.... I miss you... :lips: ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• P1040412 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1040412 (600 x 450).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.