toyota rav4 - aframe ???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by robinmclaren, Nov 14, 2009.

1. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

does any one know if you can a-frame tow a rav 4 without causing car any problems

thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as far as i know these are permanant 4wd so shouldnt be towed unless they have freewheeling/unlocking front hubs.

could be wrong but i think the smaller petrol ones can be front 2wd only which will be ok to tow.

3. robinmclaren

have tried toyota and unless buying new do not want to know ( strange as when buying company vehicles are my best mates , will remember this ), towtal and armitage quoted for frame but have not confirmed car ok to tow and armitage sugests cobtacting manufacturer, i understand it is total freewheeling and electronics contol the 4x4 side , will call towtal monday to confirm as they seem to be the most experinced in a frame compatability
    just seeing if anyone on here have had one

4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Ive seen lots of them towed behind RVs in the USA.

Does the transfer box have a neutral position?? If so it should be able to be towed with it in neutral.

We towed out automatic Jeep Cherokee behind our RV using this method. :thumb:

5. robinmclaren

no transfer box

the toyota has no transfer box it is a standard 5 speed , 4x4 is electronic as are the diff locks

6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

If you check the link below and then go to Dinghy Guide you can see a list of towable vehicles. Also a link to Remco towing sytems which is very usefull.

MotorHome Magazine: Making your RV travels easier
    Home | Remco Towing

We hired a RAV 4 in the states as we intended to use one as a toad but were told by BlueOX and Remco it was not suitable in standard form, it was an auto. We could have had a system fitted by Remco I think which disconnected a driveshaft but decided against it and bought something else.

Hope this helps

7. robinmclaren

towtal advised me to freewheel the car in reverse and listen for any noises or resistance and if non it will be fine to tow
    the freesport appears to be fine so will look at getting a frame fitted later this year