toyota rav4 - aframe ??? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as i know these are permanant 4wd so shouldnt be towed unless they have freewheeling/unlocking front hubs.

could be wrong but i think the smaller petrol ones can be front 2wd only which will be ok to tow.

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
have tried toyota and unless buying new do not want to know ( strange as when buying company vehicles are my best mates , will remember this ), towtal and armitage quoted for frame but have not confirmed car ok to tow and armitage sugests cobtacting manufacturer, i understand it is total freewheeling and electronics contol the 4x4 side , will call towtal monday to confirm as they seem to be the most experinced in a frame compatability
just seeing if anyone on here have had one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive seen lots of them towed behind RVs in the USA.

Does the transfer box have a neutral position?? If so it should be able to be towed with it in neutral.

We towed out automatic Jeep Cherokee behind our RV using this method. :thumb:

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
no transfer box

the toyota has no transfer box it is a standard 5 speed , 4x4 is electronic as are the diff locks

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you check the link below and then go to Dinghy Guide you can see a list of towable vehicles. Also a link to Remco towing sytems which is very usefull.

MotorHome Magazine: Making your RV travels easier
Link Removed

We hired a RAV 4 in the states as we intended to use one as a toad but were told by BlueOX and Remco it was not suitable in standard form, it was an auto. We could have had a system fitted by Remco I think which disconnected a driveshaft but decided against it and bought something else.

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
towtal advised me to freewheel the car in reverse and listen for any noises or resistance and if non it will be fine to tow
the freesport appears to be fine so will look at getting a frame fitted later this year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back