Toyota Hiace 2.8 Upgrade to 3LTR ? (1 Viewer)

Dee123

Free Member
Jan 24, 2011
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Toyota AM Craft
Exp
I,m a newbie
I'm a newbie,so don't pick on me :).....I'm picking up my first campervan this week.An AM Craft Toyota Hiace conversion.Its got a 2.8 engine.Which should be fine,but just say I wanted a 3 ltr turbo engine put in at a later stage.Is that possible ? and what would that cost me ?....thanks ...and hello :)

OP
OP
D

Dee123

Free Member
Jan 24, 2011
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Toyota AM Craft
Exp
I,m a newbie
I should add,the vehicle is year 1998 japan import

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I think we probably need a bit more detail.

Petrol? Diesel? Toyota engine or Porsche....?

The pissibolities are endless............................:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dee123

Free Member
Jan 24, 2011
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Toyota AM Craft
Exp
I,m a newbie
sorry,...its a diesel, 2.8 toyota engine "aspirated" whatever that means...just wondered if it is possible to change to a 3ltr turbo diesel.....at a later stage,if it were required

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
sorry,...its a diesel, 2.8 toyota engine "aspirated" whatever that means...just wondered if it is possible to change to a 3ltr turbo diesel.....at a later stage,if it were required

"Normally aspirated" means non-turbocharged.

Do you know that a 3ltr turbo engine will fit in the space available? Or are you wishing it will? Turbo engines normally need a lot more in the way of room for the extra mechanical bits-n-pieces, and for the associated electronics. Then there's the question of will it fit the gearbox etc etc.

I don't know much about these, but a good friend had a LiteAce, and they were a bu&&er to work on, with the engine in between the front seats.

I think the old motor racing tuning adage works well here - "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go.....?"

OP
OP
D

Dee123

Free Member
Jan 24, 2011
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Toyota AM Craft
Exp
I,m a newbie
Thanks wivvy,

OP
OP
D

Dee123

Free Member
Jan 24, 2011
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Toyota AM Craft
Exp
I,m a newbie
well I got a similar answer by a mechanic friend of mine,but that was about my present vehicle (2.3 Nissan Vannette Cargo)...Its not so much about the speed,rather the pulling power (no not women :)....i.e. trailer....but I.m hoping changing vehicles from a Nissan Vannette 2.3 to a toyota 2.8 will be enough to make a few hills a bit easier.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the m/h / camper van is based on the hi-ace panel van - like bongo's etc.Why would you want to go to the expense/hassle of changing engines?Surely it would be better to have a good run in it before buying just to see if it pulls well. :thumb:If not then buy the bigger engined model to start with.I know you said you are buying it this week but buying a unsuitable van is one of the biggest mistakes people make :cry: loosing lots of money :Sad: CHOOSE wisely in the first place :thumb:As to will the engine fit ? they fit in the newer models :thumb: so will fit in yours,(no change in van shape ) as to how much you will need to do to fit the turbo engine I do not know
BTW WELCOME :thumb:
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The 2.8 n/a (normally aspirated) will give you many years of trouble free service and better fuel returns. I would stick with that and be happy with it.

There are fine vehicles and go on forever - I had an imported van, when imports first started - the stuff that used to be loaded into that, and a trailer on the back to the brim - never complained once. I used it very occasionally, and it never failed to start and I never worried where I took it.

Column shift gear change (if manual) is better when you get used to it! Few days will have you at masterclass.

2.8 will be fantastic. Drive around the world as many times as you wish and fear not!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back