TowTal .. A report on my tow bar (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was never going to say anything but after what I have found recently...........

Just a straight forward factual report.

When it was fitted I asked for it to be any shape except the big 3 x 3 box section

Request ignored and 3 x 3 box section used

On the way home from having it fitted I started getting flashed by a car behind.
Stopped and found the wiring loom for the rear lights had been unclipped and was left dangling. I ended up having to repair the damage caused by it scrapping on the floor

When I looked underneath I found it had been painted and then handled with greasy hands while the paint was still wet

All of the above is sort of 'oh well' doodoo happens' type stuff, and I have just accepted it

But then..........................

Due to the pretty hopeless paint job on it I decided to take it off and get it powder coated.

Started to undo it and it was then I discovered the most forward mounting bolts had been drilled through a box section made from 12 gauge plate ( just an extension piece of chassis supporting the garage ) and then simply bolted up, resulting in the thin plate box section chassis member being crushed in.

At no point does the tow bar connect in any way shape or form to the van chassis, only the thin alko type chassis members and up through the garage floor

It was at that point I thought it worth mentioning the workmanship on here.
It would seem you do not get an awful lot for £495.00.

Oh, DesNdonna also went there.. The paint on their bar was so bad it just cracked up and started to flake off within 4 months.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
bugger, they were on my shortlist, back to the phone book:Doh:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
towtal

i can honestly say i have never had a problem with towtal at stoke.i have used them over a few years,i have had four cars fitted with a frames and one car towbar.i am sure if you have a word with them they will sort everything for you.i have no connections with them i just found them very proffesional from the first a frame.muz

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We moved from a Towtal rig to tb2tc and never looked back.
Our old Towtal frame is sitting rusting in our lean-to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
i can honestly say i have never had a problem with towtal at stoke.i have used them over a few years,i have had four cars fitted with a frames and one car towbar.i am sure if you have a word with them they will sort everything for you.i have no connections with them i just found them very proffesional from the first a frame.muz

I tried to speak to Bill about the wiring hanging down.. Got short shrift so doubt VERY much it was worth pursuing the more serious issue of the chassis damage or the abysmal paint job.. I have absolutely NO doubt at all he would poo poo it or simply deny it

But that is purely conjecture and I wished to keep the post factual, so please do not take this post as anything more than a personal guess

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sorry to hear this as our experience has been completely the opposite. They did a superb job on our towbar and our A frame - both still in perfect order 4 years, nearly 5, down the line. Bill was really helpful and we have no paint problems or indeed any other issues with the towbar or the Smart's A frame conversion.......

Perhaps the business has just grown too big and the fitters who did yours were useless......its a shame, either way, as I really liked their towbar and A frame, it was much nicer (only an opinion of course) than the Chris Cox one we had seen. :Sad::Sad:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I tried to speak to Bill about the wiring hanging down.. Got short shrift so doubt VERY much it was worth pursuing the more serious issue of the chassis damage or the abysmal paint job.. I have absolutely NO doubt at all he would poo poo it or simply deny it

But that is purely conjecture and I wished to keep the post factual, so please do not take this post as anything more than a personal guess

I don't understand how someone can publish a damning and personal comment such as this and then try and then try and justify it by writing that it is 'purely conjecture' and the readers - and it IS a public forum so there are potentially thousands - should 'not take this post as anything more than a personal guess' !

If you have a complaint to make then it should be made to the company concerned and they should have at least the opportunity to comment if not put the matter right for the complainant. It is simply not good enough to say that your complaint wouldn't have been appropriately dealt with HAD you complained.

Usual disclaimer that I have no connection with Towtal - not even as a customer - but that I am appalled by the injustice and damage caused to a business by ill considered posts.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Towtal

I totally agree with the sentiments of SQUIRE I frequently have used them for towbars,A-frames,Scootracks etc. and have always had a good experience with them and of course both Bill's are stars. I read the initial thread and actually sent an e-mail to Towtal warning them of "public character assassination" , i do remember when i first joined the forum that public slagging off is not allowed ...... legal consequences!!!

Alan

Spannerman007

Free Member
Oct 1, 2011
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
36 years
Towtal

I am sorry that you had such a bad time with Towtal.When I had my towbar fitted by them they made a superb job. It was powder coated and was securely bolted to the chassis. They even incorporated a carrier to mount the spare wheel into it.

Spannerman007

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I don't understand how someone can publish a damning and personal comment such as this and then try and then try and justify it by writing that it is 'purely conjecture' and the readers - and it IS a public forum so there are potentially thousands - should 'not take this post as anything more than a personal guess' !

If you have a complaint to make then it should be made to the company concerned and they should have at least the opportunity to comment if not put the matter right for the complainant. It is simply not good enough to say that your complaint wouldn't have been appropriately dealt with HAD you complained.

Usual disclaimer that I have no connection with Towtal - not even as a customer - but that I am appalled by the injustice and damage caused to a business by ill considered posts.

Woha!
What's going on here
I certainly appreciate service reports and as this thread shows there seems to be more happy customers than unhappy ones
No reason to suspect what has been reported is anything other than factual
the only conjecture and guesswork here is the anticipated response to complaints, and even that is based on an attempt to discuss the problem
Its seems to me
Shoddy paintwork-----Fact
Electric cables damaged by being left unsecured ---Fact
Tow Bar mounts fitted without proper anti crush tubes ---|Fact
Shoddy workmanship to say the least and Dangerous mounting practise (Basic Engineering practices ignored)
Reason for complaint I'd say so
I'll finish by saying I regard Towtal as one of the better companies, I dont know what went wrong here But Jaws is entitled to his comments:thumb:
Geo

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Something clearly went wrong here. I had one of the first A frames they made, fitted to a 1991 Fiat Panda. Its as good today as when it was first fitted.
A friend had a purpose made towbar fitted to his old S class Hymer and after it was fitted I examined the workmanship and can honestly say I was impressed, May I add am not impressed easily. Something has obviously gone amiss in this instance and I think it only fair that Tow-Tal be informed and given the chance to put things right. Am just in the process of making enquiries regarding a custom made towbar myself,so will watch the outcome of this thread.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We still have freedom of speach the last time I looked

We still have freedom of speech the last time I looked.

Jaws report is fair comment. if he is stating facts and I have no reason to suspect he is not then his remarks are fair comment and legal.

It only becomes an issue of liable or slander (if spoken) if the facts are untrue or made up. The law fully protect fair comment.

We need reports when things go wrong as much as praise when it is good.

I will always protect freedom of speech. Jim has no fears on this one. Jaws has not said anything he needs to worry about.

I would suggest he puts his complaint in writing and ask how they would like to deal with the issues. If he does not get any luck.. then he can p.m. me and I will advise him of his legal rights and how to proceed.

There is a little thing called Sale of Goods Act and if it is not fit for purpose then Jaws may have a legal case. He does not have to give the company the right to repair or amend it. He can reject it within reasonable time and get his money back. If he allows them to repair it then he can seek his reasonable out of pocket expenses from the company.

I have had no dealings with this company and know nothing about them. But the law is very clear on faulty goods or bad workmanship.

I have read many posts by Jaws, I do not always agree with his views, but I do beleive he is being factual in his post.

Bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am happy to accept that I was merely unlucky on my three issue.
My son in law, Des, had his fitted there too and the fitting is perfectly acceptable, only the paint job was poor on his..

I can further accept that a 'drive in and drive out in one day service' does bring about issues with paint and accept that it would actually be pretty much impossible to powder coat a towbar on a one day fitting service.

I will also say that in the interests of fairness I have spoken to several folk in the past year and would say there are many happy customers as well as some not so happy.

I have made no mention of anyones character and will not. Nor, as mentioned elsewhere have I stated any untruths.

My van is sitting outside my house and ANYONE is most welcome to inspect the work at any time. The damage to the chassis is pretty much unrepairable without major works so will not be changed or altered in any way.
I have made up a couple of tube spacers for the forward mounting point now as quite obviously it was not safe to leave as was..... But the chassis is still bent in for all to see.

As a by the by, I do seem to remember when I mentioned the wiring issue to Bill, he said that someone who had only just recently started with him had done the job on my van...

It is certainly possible that I fell foul of someone with little experience and who had done the job unsupervised.. Again, this is merely conjecture and not in any way presented as factual

I thought long and hard about this report.
It was not done lightly......................

Squire, if you would like to PM me I will be very happy to explain exactly why I did not speak further to the company

And no matter what, bottom line is I have reported only on the job done on my own van and my son in laws van.

There is no guessing about those facts.. not at all....

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
I know this is a old thread but i was thinking of having a tow bar and solar panel fitted at towtal,but i'm not sure after reading the above posts !!!!!!
Anybody had any recent dealing with them ???

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've had two fitted by Watlings. The second was a referral from another tow bar fitter as they weren't confident about doing a good job with the lightweight chassis extensions. Pleased with both jobs.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I am very glad that I am still able to build my own tow bars motorcycle frames for our vans. There was me thinking £39 for steel to build tow bar and £ 7 for welding rods was expensive. Also upgraded my welder to an inverter welder. B&Q selling off shop soiled one for £45 and used my 10% card to get another £4.50 off. Now in the process of converting it to motorcycle carry frame. Steel gone up £52 this time. By what I have read I am on a winner.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hope you get it fixed John. there is always .a know it all around some where.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This may be down to ONE sloppy worker, and we know most firms have one or two of those. The boss should however be prepared to at least check it out and rectify the shortfall in the workmanship.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is an 4 year old thread.:LOL:

I am very glad that I am still able to build my own tow bars motorcycle frames for our vans. There was me thinking £39 for steel to build tow bar and £ 7 for welding rods was expensive. Also upgraded my welder to an inverter welder. B&Q selling off shop soiled one for £45 and used my 10% card to get another £4.50 off. Now in the process of converting it to motorcycle carry frame. Steel gone up £52 this time. By what I have read I am on a winner.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan

Unless it is pre 1998 then you can't legally.

they have to be "EU type approved " complete with id plate.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/towing-equipment

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Towbars-and...-of-the-regulations-/10000000001097928/g.html
& as from October 2012 trailers are more or less the same.

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm

Broken Link Removed

You can't build anything that isn't submitted for testing/inspection.:(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is an 4 year old thread.:LOL:

Unless it is pre 1998 then you can't legally.

they have to be "EU type approved " complete with id plate.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/towing-equipment

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Towbars-and...-of-the-regulations-/10000000001097928/g.html
& as from October 2012 trailers are more or less the same.

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm

Broken Link Removed

You can't build anything that isn't submitted for testing/inspection.:(
Sorry, but type approval only came into force for motorhomes in, i believe, 2012.
the first link you point to is for passenger cars, not multipurpose vehicles.

European type approval 94/20/EC
Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles * and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars;

* the base vehicle of a motorhome

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Testing my tow bar / bike rack just before our trip to the IOM last year
Custom made by a mate and me, but from proper size box section and fitted to the proper chassis mountings.
Bike weighs 140 Kg - we weigh 180Kg. It has never moved an inch.

DSC00437.jpg

Does that shirt make me look fat?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry, but type approval only came into force for motorhomes in, i believe, 2012.
the first link you point to is for passenger cars, not multipurpose vehicles.

European type approval 94/20/EC
Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles * and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars;

* the base vehicle of a motorhome

As far as I'm concerned a motorhome , motorcaravan or campervan come under M1 special vehicles Category 2;
" A special purpose M1 category vehcile constructed to include accommodation space."

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Woha!
What's going on here
I certainly appreciate service reports and as this thread shows there seems to be more happy customers than unhappy ones
No reason to suspect what has been reported is anything other than factual
the only conjecture and guesswork here is the anticipated response to complaints, and even that is based on an attempt to discuss the problem
Its seems to me
Shoddy paintwork-----Fact
Electric cables damaged by being left unsecured ---Fact
Tow Bar mounts fitted without proper anti crush tubes ---|Fact
Shoddy workmanship to say the least and Dangerous mounting practise (Basic Engineering practices ignored)
Reason for complaint I'd say so
I'll finish by saying I regard Towtal as one of the better companies, I dont know what went wrong here But Jaws is entitled to his comments:thumb:
Geo

He absolutely is entitled to his comments, sounds like Towtal did an abysmal job on this occasion.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had a towbar fitted by them in 2005 to an Autocruise Wentworth . The paint was off before I got home and they had just painted on top of the rust. The worrying thing was that three mounting bolts were just finger tight. I thought they may have improved but sadly still cowboys. One thing is they have stayed consistent. Bad workmanship for over 9 years.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All I can add we have three vans here between us , all got towtal tow bars , all fine, ours is 2007 and still the paint looks like new.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is worth pointing out this thread was started about 4 years ago and actually refers to the tow bar fitted on the Miller.
The current van ( Autotrail Chieftain ) had the tow bar fitted by someone in Harrogate and is very well done indeed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back