Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting take on the idea ..however

I tow a car on an A frame but importantly, not all the time. I only take the toad if I know I will need it, which really is just in the UK. This is because UK sites/cl's are usually in the middle of nowhere and parking a largish motorhome in most UK towns/villages is a real problem. I have never needed a toad in France as it's easy to pitch near towns you want to visit and parking is easy.
Like others I could not store a trailer, but if most of my touring was in the UK I would go for a caravan rather than a motorhome, we're not geared up for motorhomes here. In fact if I had room for a trailer I would use the space for a caravan as I think it would be more useful, and I have a suitable 4x4 to tow one. Motor home AND caravan would be the best of both worlds and I suppose if we needed extra accomadation we could tow the caravan behind the motorhome (but where could we put the toad :Doh:)

While you have a 'personal' view of what might best suit you that may not fit everyone's needs. I have owned a fair size caravan in the past and pulled it with American Day Van 5.2 ltr engine.. pulled it no problems. However the caravan is not a patch on my RV I have now or have had in the past, hence got rid of the caravan.

I use a trailer to take my car to sites and shows.. why? disabled and need to get in to towns... an example at Stratford on Avon show, there is a kissing gate from the site to the town (nearest point) a wheelchair or a scooter cannot get through it.. the long way round (which is the only other way round) is 2.8 miles round trip without being in the town. So I haul a trailer behind my RV with the car on it. Even in France I have the car as often sites or Aires are just that to far from the town for those with a disability or that cannot ride a bike.

But I look at the issue wider as every person have there own way of dealing with the issues of getting about. My way is easier for me, not for a lot of other people. So while you think you have the answer.. it may not be a fit all answer.

Perhaps returning to the drawing board and add in a few other complications and you will see that thinking outside the box is needed at times. Do I enjoy being 45' overall long? no... but given I have a small RV by normal sizes at 24'5" then the trailer is a pain, but overall it allows me more freedom.. I weighed up the issues before I spent a lot of money on a trailer.. it may work for me, and not for someone else. As bikes work for others.. horses for courses..worth perhaps considering that.

Bob:Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
As i have said before on other posts if you need to have a large car or 4x4 for any other reason than "i want one " note the key word here is Need one then a caravan is probably the most sensible way to go.

if you don't need a large car / 4x4 and can manage with a small car like a nissan micra / smart etc. then a motorhome & trailer or A-frame depending on where you wish to travel could be the option for you.

i say this as the running costs of the larger vehicles are getting higher, the road tax for my motorhome is £165 per year and the smart is £30 per year so i'm saving over a 4x4. The insurance is comparable with a 4x4 and caravan combination so no big looser there.
fuel consumption with the smart i get around 45mpg and the motorhome more like 21mpg so again comparable between the two of a 4x4 towing a caravan but solo there aren't many 4x4's that can match the daily running costs of the smart.

For some of the places in this country a large car or 4x4 can be too big for exploring the smaller roads and don't forget that cars are all getting bigger than they used to be hence why there are so many with busted mirrors especially on the country lanes.

also many wheelchair capable vehicles like the renault kangoo and others with a rear ramp you cant tow a caravan.

but as Bob said there is no one suits all answer:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I absolutely agree, no two people will have the same solution as there are many variables. I have a 4x4 which I have had since new, it is now 8 years old and its resale value is practically zilch :Sad:, so I keep it even though the road tax is high, because it comes in handy sometimes. Likewise I don't find it a problem walking a couple of miles to town, in fact a pleasure, but can appreciate that someone with a disability could find that impossible.

I was not trying to suggest that what I do would suit everyone (or indeed anyone else)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back