Towing with an A-Frame is Illegal in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Jim, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Towing a car on an A-Frame with your motorhome is illegal in Spain. Of that there is no doubt. Read it on our own Governments web site https://www.gov.uk/living-in-spain

Given all that, I heard an A Frame manufacturer lie to potential customers on a number of occasions at a recent motorhome show. :doh::doh: Paraphrased....

"Don't worry about that, it's like them gassing stories. It's just people sat on sites with nothing better to do and gossiping; making stuff up. It's always happened to friends of friends, its a myth. No one gets stopped in Spain using A-Frames, just like no one is gassed and robbed"

aframe.png

• Like Like x 12
  2. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

I wouldn't take my "A" framed car out of the Country nowadays. I have in the past taken it to France and Spain.

Normally only bother now when we go to the NEC and we are there for nine days or so

3. Mel

Mel Funster

We have a law in Belgium that uf you tow on a motorway you must leave at the first exit.
    So A frames where/are ilegal.
    But we are starting to see a few Belgium registerd MH with toads.
    I spoke to one who goes often to Spain he has never had a problem.
    Is it possible its only UK registerd MH's that get stopped?

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

All the more reason to get a nice little scooter or motorbike and so much more fun than boring cars. :):)(y)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Speve

Speve Funster

Glad we decided on a trailer there has always been so many conflicting opinions it's just not worth it and this has now clarified the situation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

In some parts of Spain the Guardia, are stopping anyone with an A-Frame and in others they seem to have better things to do with their time.
    If you decide to go with an A-Frame, it is a Lottery, so do have a plan B just in case.

:cooler:

7. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

It seems to me, illegal is just that, illegal so why do it.

I do wonder sometimes just how many motorhome owners report to the insurance company that they have modified the Motorhome by putting a tow bar on, and how many tell them that they are towing a car on an A frame. Also what happens in the event of a serious accident, when the insurance company find out that you broke the law of the country that you had tha accident in.

Of course, I guess most owners do in fact tell the insurance company..........don't they?:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. maxine and jo

maxine and jo Read Only Funster

Hear in spain you can be asked for the registration and paperwork for all trailers , which must show an identity plate that matches the paper work ,it there law.

max

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Q. Given the straightforward advice given in Jim's OP, what type of idiot is going to ignore it and need a plan B?
    A. The type of idiot that deserves all the fines he gets.
    :LOL:

• Like Like x 6
  10. big map

big map Funster Life Member

We were stopped and fined in Germany for towing a car on an a frame. (Car not motor functional) 23 (^) StVO fine 25 euros.

Fine.jpg

The Police officer told us "that like Spain it was illegal to tow a car using an a frame in Germany". They told us to cross the border into The Netherlands where it OK and lots of motor-homers use them. So we un-hitched and I drove the car to the border and we then reconnected.

Our Insurers are aware that we have a tow-bar on the motor-home and are aware that we tow a car on an a frame.

The car insurers are also aware that it has been adapted for use on an a frame.

11. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I agree, but plenty still do it, even though it's been illegal in Spain for a few years, though rarely enforced until a couple of years ago.
    I can guarantee, that I will see quite a few A-Frames in the coming winter season in Spain.
    Plan B can save you having to leave the car where you are stopped, or paying for it to be recovered to storage.

:cooler:

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

More fool them then :) Much more sensible to avoid the need for plan B in the first place :D

13. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I knew there was a reason I always use a trailer, though I do understand many Motorhomes don't have the towing capacity for a trailer.

Like Jim I have heard so much rubbish spouted by dealers about both A frames and driving licenses in order to secure a sale the only thing to say is buyer beware.

14. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

This summer a friend was stopped in Spain with an "A" bar advised it is illegal and given the option to go buy a trailer and continue his journey .... OH and by the way, he and his MH and "toad" are all French registered. He returned to the Charente Maritime with a trailer and his "A" bar "MERDE"

15. Billycompo

Billycompo

What about the Vienna convention if it's legal in your home country then it's legal in all the EU countries this is a condition of EU law and I suggest hgv driving licences from Romania and other eastern EU members do not comply with most of EU members or is just a money grab by Spain

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

its not legal here either as has never been tested in court.

our law based on statute..theirs Napoleonic. have explained in the past and accused of sending everyone to sleep, so if you want to "know" read up on it:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  17. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ohh don't think I would want to argue that with a spanish "gendarme" "copper" sorry don' t know the Spanish version but for myself I speak, in front of numerous gibbering foreign types WITH GUNS I personally tend to say "yes sir" and leave political and international arguments to those better placed than I. My shoulders are wide ...... very wide ...... but only so they can more easily carry my yellow stripe

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed.....for Spanish nationals only.
    Even the Spanish realise we do not have compulsory trailer registration as they do and waive the law in that respect for visitors.
    You cannot have a trailer registration document if your countries authorities dont require one.

19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

1) Spanish law and 2) it rarely pays to argue with a foreign copper with a gun

• Like Like x 1
  20. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I stand to be corrected but, as I understand it, only trailer over 750Kg has to have a registration document, I guess that most trailers that are behind a MH are less than that, so no problem.