Towing with a Ducato 2.5turbo

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sanandreas, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sanandreas

sanandreas Read Only Funster

I am considering fitting a towbar to my 2.5TDS Ducato but I wonder how well it would perform towing a Renault Clio - weight 945kg?

Can anyone offer an example of their 2.5turbo motorhome and car performance.

Thanks Roy

2. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Probably not very well but neither did my 2 litre petrol Eldiss. Always got there though and didn't cause too much bother for other road users.

Go for it if it suits YOU!

3. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Roy
    I had a 2.3 Ducato, Towed a Smart Car & Trailer, No probs in general admittedly it faded on long climbs but we have done France last year 8 weks & 8 weeks in Spain this year without to much troubles. Pete:thumb:

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Roy, we use to tow a Fiat Cinquecento on an A Frame, with our old Kontiki 2.5 tdi, the only thing we found is the gap between 4th and 5th is large,:BigGrin: but if you got it rolling and did not try to stick to 45 / 50 it was OK. try and do 45 / 50 its hard work, up and down the gears all the time, but I think that was only 700kg.:RollEyes: But your van may be a bit better than ours was.:Smile: I know when we got our Mercedes 2.7 it never knew it was on there.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

your ducato has a 5500kg train weight, 2000kg towing limit, so at 945kg you're only half way there.
    should tow ok except as Bob said its a long legged jump from 4th to 5th and would be better at 60mph rather than 50mph and the longer hills are a speed killer.

my 2.8 ducato struggles towing the corsa (840kg) on the l-o-n-g motorway inclines but just slot in with the trucks and its not a problem.

the convenience of the toad far outweighs the inconvenience of lack of power.

BTW...the fuel consumption drops by around 1mpg when towing.

6. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Smile: We towed our Toad (Kia Picanto) with our Swift Suntor 2.8JTD and hardly noticed it was there. In fact, the only time we saw it was when we went around roundabouts. :Rofl1:

It WAS a little slower up the hills, but also FASTER down them.

7. des

des Read Only Funster

i towed a fiat punto (about 1000kgs) behind a 2.8 peugot/fiat. added a smart box to up the torque. no problem.

des