DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I've just 'acquired' a 2015 Fiat 500 which I'd like to tow with my SE620 Approach.
I've investigated a small trailer and so on but I'm concerned about the weight causing bottoming out - I've had issues on steep ramps for Gods sake...
Any thoughts on beefing up the rear suspension, anybody else doing similar things ?

The trailer is likely to be from smart-trailers.co.uk, but I'm holding off for the moment

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had fitted air assisted suspension on our Autotrail when we towed the motorbike. It was on a Fiat chassis with around 90" behind the rear wheels so used to ground the towbar.

It worked a treat and was much nicer the drive as well.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Yes we had it on our autocruse lifted up 4inc or more and the camper was a lot better to drive .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Thanks for the input guys - I've sort of gone ahead, had the towbar fitted and ordered the trailer.
Can't find anybody to do the air assist though. Dave Newell has advised that Dunlop don't do the kit anymore for the Al-ko chassis and that nice Mr Google seems to have drawn a blank too - lots of web sites, but most of them out of date or with broken links.
Still hoping for suggestions ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the trailers properly balanced with correct nose weight the van shouldn't bottom out.

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Thanks Icantremember, I'll give them a shout.
The thing that worries me Pappajohn is that with just a bike rack and back box, the front wheels seem very high and the steering is a bit on the light side. I'm concerned that even he correct nose weight on the trailer would make it handle like a hippo...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Icantremember, I'll give them a shout.
The thing that worries me Pappajohn is that with just a bike rack and back box, the front wheels seem very high and the steering is a bit on the light side. I'm concerned that even he correct nose weight on the trailer would make it handle like a hippo...
Just a thought ... I don't think air assistance on the rear will help your steering if you are badly overloaded on the back axle.
You need to checkout this on a weighbridge.

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Just a thought ... I don't think air assistance on the rear will help your steering if you are badly overloaded on the back axle.
You need to checkout this on a weighbridge.
I think you're probably right on this - I may be tilting at windmills here and seeing problems which aren't there and once the trailer is ready, it will handle like a dream. I'm just making sure I have an option if there is an issue. I'll get it to a weighbridge anyway just to make sure..
:smiley:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, but as a rule of thumb the nose weight should be a minimum of 7% of the loaded trailers actual weight.
The towbar or trailers plated downweight is a limit, not a target.
You could, of course, lose the back box and stash the contents in the car saving quite a bit of rear axle weight.

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Update to the trailing arse saga... just had air suspension fitted by AS in Warrington, and what a difference.
The rear is now much more solid and planted, considerably less body roll and now doesn't touch the ground over molehills.
Picked up a Phoenix Trailer the next day and even empty, the back end of the MH didn't drop at all - it used to sag badly with any weight applied to the back.
All in all, my favourite upgrades....
Big up both AS Suspension at Warrington and Phoenix Trailers at Deuxhills, can't recommend them enough.
:smiley:

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
AS Air Suspension in Warrington do systems for AlKo ... we are due to have our third Mh fitted there next month.
Thanks guys - they did the installation for me on Tuesday - what a difference, and what nice people too !

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks guys - they did the installation for me on Tuesday - what a difference, and what nice people too !
That's great, it's always good to know something you recommend works out well.

We had ours fitted three weeks ago and as usual very satisfied with the workmanship and the end result.(y)

At the same time they also fitted for me the HPC hydraulic levelling system which I have wanted for a long time ... I'm now completely skint but well worth it .... and very happy.:D

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@DigglyDog-we have a Bailey 620 SE. Can you say approximately what we can expect to pay of the air suspension?

OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I paid in the region of £1700 for the air suspension - expensive, but worth every penny..

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Too rich for me I'm afraid. Not that we've had any problem today. (he says touching wood).

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back