Towing with a 620 Approach

Discussion in 'Bailey Motorhomes' started by DigglyDog, Jul 28, 2016.

1. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

I've just 'acquired' a 2015 Fiat 500 which I'd like to tow with my SE620 Approach.
    I've investigated a small trailer and so on but I'm concerned about the weight causing bottoming out - I've had issues on steep ramps for Gods sake...
    Any thoughts on beefing up the rear suspension, anybody else doing similar things ?

The trailer is likely to be from smart-trailers.co.uk, but I'm holding off for the moment

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I had fitted air assisted suspension on our Autotrail when we towed the motorbike. It was on a Fiat chassis with around 90" behind the rear wheels so used to ground the towbar.

It worked a treat and was much nicer the drive as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BONZO

BONZO Funster

Yes we had it on our autocruse lifted up 4inc or more and the camper was a lot better to drive .

4. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Thanks for the input guys - I've sort of gone ahead, had the towbar fitted and ordered the trailer.
    Can't find anybody to do the air assist though. Dave Newell has advised that Dunlop don't do the kit anymore for the Al-ko chassis and that nice Mr Google seems to have drawn a blank too - lots of web sites, but most of them out of date or with broken links.
    Still hoping for suggestions ...

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

AS Air Suspension in Warrington do systems for AlKo ... we are due to have our third Mh fitted there next month.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If the trailers properly balanced with correct nose weight the van shouldn't bottom out.

7. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Thanks Icantremember, I'll give them a shout.
    The thing that worries me Pappajohn is that with just a bike rack and back box, the front wheels seem very high and the steering is a bit on the light side. I'm concerned that even he correct nose weight on the trailer would make it handle like a hippo...

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Just a thought ... I don't think air assistance on the rear will help your steering if you are badly overloaded on the back axle.
    You need to checkout this on a weighbridge.

9. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

I think you're probably right on this - I may be tilting at windmills here and seeing problems which aren't there and once the trailer is ready, it will handle like a dream. I'm just making sure I have an option if there is an issue. I'll get it to a weighbridge anyway just to make sure..
    :smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I agree, but as a rule of thumb the nose weight should be a minimum of 7% of the loaded trailers actual weight.
    The towbar or trailers plated downweight is a limit, not a target.
    You could, of course, lose the back box and stash the contents in the car saving quite a bit of rear axle weight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Update to the trailing arse saga... just had air suspension fitted by AS in Warrington, and what a difference.
    The rear is now much more solid and planted, considerably less body roll and now doesn't touch the ground over molehills.
    Picked up a Phoenix Trailer the next day and even empty, the back end of the MH didn't drop at all - it used to sag badly with any weight applied to the back.
    All in all, my favourite upgrades....
    Big up both AS Suspension at Warrington and Phoenix Trailers at Deuxhills, can't recommend them enough.
    :smiley:

• Like Like x 5
  12. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

Thanks guys - they did the installation for me on Tuesday - what a difference, and what nice people too !

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That's great, it's always good to know something you recommend works out well.

We had ours fitted three weeks ago and as usual very satisfied with the workmanship and the end result.(y)

At the same time they also fitted for me the HPC hydraulic levelling system which I have wanted for a long time ... I'm now completely skint but well worth it .... and very happy.:D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ingwe

Ingwe Funster

@DigglyDog-we have a Bailey 620 SE. Can you say approximately what we can expect to pay of the air suspension?

15. DigglyDog

DigglyDog Funster

I paid in the region of £1700 for the air suspension - expensive, but worth every penny..

16. Ingwe

Ingwe Funster

Too rich for me I'm afraid. Not that we've had any problem today. (he says touching wood).

Thanks