Free Member
Jun 23, 2016
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
Since 2016
What type of tow bar or towing equipment is needed to tow my Peugeot 107 behind my lunar newstar

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What type of tow bar or towing equipment is needed to tow my Peugeot 107 behind my lunar newstar
Welcome to Fun! I fear you have jumped in at the deep end as this is a controversial subject. :)

While waiting replies it might be worth search for "A frames" on the forum as this will give you a lot of background though I'm not sure if you can search until you are fully paid up.

However, you can get A-frames, which I think is what you are referring to, from reputable UK companies and they work fine - the issues can start if you want to go outside the UK, in particular Spain where they are considered illegal.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you really need is to sell the m,home and the car and get a fifth wheel set up. much better set up.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:. Consider superscribing to the forum , its well worth it if you need to ask questions. (y)
At least say Hello that goes a long way.
Think you will need an A frame .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just for clarity and anyone NOT familiar with A framing

A frames are not illegal in Spain! it might be better or easier to accept that
In SpainTowing any vehicle with another vehicle however is illegal
be it an A frame, Tow Rope, or straight tow bar, It would seam only recovery people are allowed to tow using "Proper suspended or loaded recovery equipment"

The A frames suggested to you are Motor Home specific A frames and are accepted as legal in the UK
I use one myself, very simple, safe , and convenient. I also have a trailer should I wish to go to Spain
Do NOT confuse these A frames with the £100 versions on e bay sold as Recovery A frames
or any other Recovery A frame
As these can only be legally used for Recovering broken down cars at very low speed limits. The same apllies to Towing Dollies

The difference between Recovery and a "Towing A Frame" is very easy to spot
Recovery A frames require NO modification or additions to the towed vehicle and use chains or ratchet straps to atatch the broken down vehicle
Proper Motor Home A frames ALWAYS DO need the towed vehicle to be modified to acept the towing A frame, simply put, some look better than others, it is often a personal choice based on authetices in my case, and then a choice of braking and break away methods that can be used, each Manufacture will claim his is better then others by and large they all work, if any are really better ? how do you know? unless you have treid them all, again its a personal preferance based on personal experiance or popularity and or price. in either case make sure your insurance is happy for you to tow using an A frame, and discus the value and amount of cover you need, simple trailer cover is not suffieciant in most cases. Insures expect to pay out 1 or 2 maybe 3 thousnd pounds at most for a damaged trailer certainly not 10K plus for a damaged car acting as a trailer
Having the car and Motor Home insured with the same Company has its benifts
G

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back