Towing (Non Commercial) with MPV - Tacho? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

I am back for some advice........

How are we all?.

I need some advice on towing please?.

I have a Mercedes 3 series Sprinter Traveliner. The registration document lists it as an "MPV" rather than a Van. I want to tow a large box trailer and maybe a caravan (not together !) behind it to Spain at some time in the future.

Some Facts:

Unladen weight of the Sprinter without the seats is around 2,400kG
Max permissible weight of Sprinter is 3,500kG
Max tow weight is 2,000kG
Max train weight is 5,500kG *

Questions:

Towing a trailer/Caravan not for commercial gain/use

Do I need a Tacho?
Do I need to have separate documents for a trailer in Spain?
Anything else I should be aware of?.

*We have another sprinter with a 3,500kG tow limit, 8,000kG Gross combination weight. But as a van, I think despite not towing goods for commercial use/gain. It may be an issue in Spain with the Police as it is listed as a van.

Trev

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
shouldnt be a problem at all. and no you dont require any paper work for the trailer . just use it as you would in uk. as vehicles go most dont look more commercial than mine . just drive same as uk . but dont race they do have lots of speed traps fixed and portable . have a good one .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
no problems I would think you are not using it for hire or rewards DONT put a taco sheet in no nead

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've just done my CPC to start driving again and you definitely do NOT need one as long as the goods are your personal property. If you carry goods for hire and reward you do need one and different insurance cover.(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Check your license allows you to tow over 750KG trailers though.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi,

I am back for some advice........

How are we all?.

I need some advice on towing please?.

I have a Mercedes 3 series Sprinter Traveliner. The registration document lists it as an "MPV" rather than a Van. I want to tow a large box trailer and maybe a caravan (not together !) behind it to Spain at some time in the future.

Some Facts:

Unladen weight of the Sprinter without the seats is around 2,400kG
Max permissible weight of Sprinter is 3,500kG
Max tow weight is 2,000kG
Max train weight is 5,500kG *

Questions:

Towing a trailer/Caravan not for commercial gain/use

Do I need a Tacho?
Do I need to have separate documents for a trailer in Spain?
Anything else I should be aware of?.

*We have another sprinter with a 3,500kG tow limit, 8,000kG Gross combination weight. But as a van, I think despite not towing goods for commercial use/gain. It may be an issue in Spain with the Police as it is listed as a van.

Trev
The * van would be a problem as it would also be restricted to 56mph the same as artics if it has no windows in the rear.

The only other thing is how many seats does the 'travelliner' have ? as that could be a problem here with a jobsworth .

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I've just done my CPC to start driving again and you definitely do NOT need one as long as the goods are your personal property. If you carry goods for hire and reward you do need one and different insurance cover.(y)

Just wondering like, where did you take your DCPC. I'm looking at this company
http://www.redrosetraining.co.uk/ looks like I've to go back to work:rolleyes: so may as well make use of the 7.5 tonne entitlement.:unsure:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just wondering like, where did you take your DCPC. I'm looking at this company
http://www.redrosetraining.co.uk/ looks like I've to go back to work:rolleyes: so may as well make use of the 7.5 tonne entitlement.:unsure:
That's the one I used, very good too but sooooooooooooooo bloody boring. Seven hours on a drivers walk round check. I kid you not.:mad: Then I did three days on ADR which was interesting then the last day on tacho law.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Wasn't wishing to highjack the thread but OP seems to be sorted now.
Thanks for the info @Badknee, was that training completed as a five day course or as individual days? and secondly does each section count towards your CPC.?
They seem a bit vague on their website.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The * van would be a problem as it would also be restricted to 56mph the same as artics if it has no windows in the rear.

The only other thing is how many seats does the 'travelliner' have ? as that could be a problem here with a jobsworth .

No van running at a gvw of 3.5 ton requires governing to 56 by law not even with a trailer on, some companies may restrict them but that's choice, if used private there is no requirement for a tacho to be fitted either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back