Towing in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by janandles, Feb 20, 2012.

1. janandles

janandles Read Only Funster

Hi were going to tow a little car on an "A" Frame the back of the motorhome this year in France. As it's our first time we are worried there are things to consider i.e. The Law regarding towing and what signs we need to put on the back of the car. We've been told its just red triangle reflectors but the only ones we can find are screw on. My car is an Toyota Aygo and it's body work is plastic so could do with something stick on but can't find them. Any ideas please. Jan

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hi Janandles.

a search of the forum will give you all the information you need on aframes and towing them.
    my rule is that in the UK I use it as I know I can get away with it, when on the continent I would stick to a trailer. People do use Aframes in France with out an issue, but others will tell you they have been stopped and fined for doing so.
    In Spain, it is definitely the case that many more people are being stopped and fined if you read the forum.
    Jim (site owner) was only commenting on how many were being pulled out by Santander the other day.

Good luck, what ever you decide.

3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

best advice? keep away from Spain

Best advice? use a trailer.. if you must use an A frame then keep clear of Spain.. there are some hefty fines being given out .... Plus suggest you get a sign to go in the front of the motorhome indicating you are towing.. we have one.. very useful when it is a case of needing to get someone to give way.. smaller vehicle gives way to larger in france.. but as you will not be able to reverse the toad (have to get out and disconnect it) you do not want to have to be put in the position of backing up to say a lorry or bus. Depending how long you are you need to consider the lorry length signs plus you need to have 90 klm sticker on the back as that is the max you can do on a motorway and less on other roads.

Suggest you make sure you have a back-up camera to see what the car is doing while under tow.

Bob

4. janandles

Thank you for that. I'll ckeck the other forum, I'm very new to this and still trying to find my way around the site. Jan

5. janandles

Thank you for that, unfortunately we only have the aframe so we'll have to be carefull and get the stickers. We were given from Towtal a letter in french when they fitted our tow hook and it's to be given to the police if we get pulled over, supposed to say that its now legal etc etc I don't know how much weight that would carry.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you could stick the screw type triangles on using strong sticky pads ..

or, as I did, made a board with two triangles and sit it on the rear parcel self ..

or use a trailer board (without the lights,) and tie to rear of car

7. slobadoberbob

I do not think a letter in French will help much

I do not think a letter in French will help a lot.. French police can be a bit tough on campers that do not meet the laws.. you could go a hundred times and get away with it, then you could go once and get caught.

The makers of the A frames are only interested in selling you the kit... some interesting stories on this forum, from A frames that have set light to cars as they were not correctly set up, to fines for using them. The only really safe way is to use a breaker trailer.

Good site, need to join by paying the £10 subs then you can join with the others at shows and get in to all the areas.. I have well and truly got my subs back this year alone.. Have belonged for best part of 3 years now and with an RV also belong to the sister site.. but MHF is a great place to share info.

Have fun

Bob

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have removed the screws from the reflectors and replaced them with suckers that then go on the inside of the rear window. Not sure where I got the suckers but bound to be some on ebay.

Do not, as I have seen once put 'on tow' on the car. The whole point of an A frame is that the car becomes a trailer and is not a towed car as in breakdown.

Bob suggest putting a 'towing' sign in the van windscreen and this is a good idea as it warns that your vehicle is longer than oncoming turning traffic expect. Preferably in the local language of course :Smile:

9. nomadic

nomadic Funster

If you contact Chris cox towing frames on 0121 681 6513, when we had our A frame, some years ago, it came complete with magnetic triangles, and they are still working well. I'm sure he would supply them individually.

10. janandles

Thankyou for that, we'll certainly get the towing word transfered and use that and the suckers idea is great. Cheers :BigGrin: Jan

11. janandles

Ooops....Maybe even translated :Laughing:

12. janandles

I'll be putting that number in my phone book. Thanks:BigGrin:

13. janandles

Love the board on the parcel shelf idea, thanks very much. Jan

14. slobadoberbob

the word nearest is REMORQUAGE

The word nearest is REMORQUAGE.. we had Halfords provide a yellow number plate and the letters to make up the word.... it is the nearest word to indicate you are towing something.. we attach it to little suckers on to the window screen.. It has worked for us.

Bob

15. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Used to attach triangles on bodywork of smart with Blutack - they never fell off.

16. janandles

Great idea cheers:thumb:

17. janandles

I just love this site. another great idea. :thumb: Jan

18. spitfire

spitfire Funster

It is not legal in France to tow on an A frame braked or not so do so at your peril :Eeek: I speak fluent french as I have lived there for 8 years but I would not like to argue with the gendarmes.

You might get away with it but is it worth running the gauntlet for your holidays. They might also as well as fining you they may insist on you unhooking the car or at worst confiscate it . And british plates do not mean they will ignore it.

e had a friend who said to the gendarme ' I am english ' to which the gendarme replied ' and I am French ' Please bear in mind they are a military force unlike the UK police.

• Like Like x 1
  19. janandles

Oh crumbs anyone got a tailer they want to hire out:Sad:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's not what was reported by Frankie on this thread.. she specifically asked the French police

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/40875-ask-away.html