Free Member
Sep 15, 2008
Ilfracombe, N. Devon
Funster No
MH
ford econoline
Exp
3 years
Hi All! We are hoping to be travelling to Spain just before xmas and want to tow a car on our motorhome, and cant find any rules for towing abroad. Can we tow on an A frame or does it need to be braked? :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Welcome to Fun

This is well covered on the forum but the short of it is -
In Spain you are not allowed to tow a vehicle unless all four wheels are off the ground - to risk it is to risk a few thousand euros on the spot fine.
Also dont forget if you trailer tow your car and the combination length is over 12mtrs you need boards on the back of your trailer, these can be got from HGV Direct - link to correct boards below
http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/pair-marker-boards-ece70-reg-565mm-200mm-p-500486.html

You are also risking a fine if the boards are requirred and you dont have them

OP
OP
B

bigmacs

Free Member
Sep 15, 2008
Ilfracombe, N. Devon
Funster No
MH
ford econoline
Exp
3 years
Thanks, that has helped loads, we will carry on looking for a trailer, and it solves the problem of shall we tow out Rav 4 on all fours and risk 'diff' problems....:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is 90 kph

Also dont forget that if you are towing in france you have to stick to the lower speed limits and we are supposed to display the speed limit stickers
link below

http://www.speedstickers.co.uk/index.asp?function=CART&ECD=512&productid=

having just ordered mine that is the page with the correct ones on for vehicles towing
:thumb:

In France you have to display the 90 kph roundal on the back of the trailer. If you exceed that it is a 90 euro fine on the spot.. in fact almost everything is a 90 euro fine.. make sure you have two not one warning triange in the front (not in a locker) and also your yellow jackets for each person in the veichle again to hand.. on the back of your seats or a door pocket so you can reach it and put on before getting out of the vehicle.

I will not go on about the problems of toads..said it many times... not legal unless you have all wheels brakes and can be reversed..

Put the car on a trailer and get those boards if you exceed the length.

Easy roads in CFrance to drive even with a trailer.. but I would suggest you get a sign made up in English and French saying you are towing so you can show it if you cannot get through due to on coming vehicles... reminds me need to ask Frankie what the word is now.

Good luck

Bob:thumb:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Welcome to Fun

This is well covered on the forum but the short of it is -
In Spain you are not allowed to tow a vehicle unless all four wheels are off the ground - to risk it is to risk a few thousand euros on the spot fine.
Also dont forget if you trailer tow your car and the combination length is over 12mtrs you need boards on the back of your trailer, these can be got from HGV Direct - link to correct boards below
http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/pair-marker-boards-ece70-reg-565mm-200mm-p-500486.html

You are also risking a fine if the boards are requirred and you dont have them
Chatter
I think that was an a exaggeration ( few thousand) I was fined €80 discounted to €40 for paying on the spot, and after 10,000 miles of towing in France and Spain worth taking the risk, they make you unhitch you drive to the next layby have lunch and rehitch.

Loddy:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
when you come back after lunch

Chatter
I think that was an a exaggeration ( few thousand) I was fined €80 discounted to €40 for paying on the spot, and after 10,000 miles of towing in France and Spain worth taking the risk, they make you unhitch you drive to the next layby have lunch and rehitch.

And when you come back after lunch it is gone:Blush:... or they are still doing road checks in the layby.. not the best way to enjoy a trip wondering if you are going to get pulled over or have to pay fines... they could have called a garage and had it impounded.. long lunch then:cry:

Bob:Eeek:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
And when you come back after lunch it is gone:Blush:... or they are still doing road checks in the layby.. not the best way to enjoy a trip wondering if you are going to get pulled over or have to pay fines... they could have called a garage and had it impounded.. long lunch then:cry:

Bob:Eeek:

No Bob I have a motorhome and have lunch in the same layby:Doh:, why should they impound the car ?? I think you are scaremongering:Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
No Bob I have a motorhome and have lunch in the same layby:Doh:, why should they impound the car ?? I think you are scaremongering:Eeek:

because they can it is within their power of authority just like the fine can be from a reletively small amount to a big amount and they can allow up to 50% discount for prompt roadside payment - more messing they have to do less discount you get, if you dont have access to enough funds for the fine(they will take you to the nearest bank if required- but not take you back to your vehicle) the vehicle gets impounded and you have the charges for that added to the fine which mount up on a daily charge, also have have a glass or two of a nice wine with your lunch and they stop you and it is above 0.5 milligrams per millilitre that can result in jail time tourist or not. In britain the limit is 0.8milligrams

not scarmongering at all but what can happen

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Sounds like you don't like the Spanish:Sad:. and you would have to be really stupid to argue with them or drink and drive :Doh:

Sounds like you could get yourself in the situation you describe

Loddy

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sounds like you don't like the Spanish:Sad:. and you would have to be really stupid to argue with them or drink and drive :Doh:

Sounds like you could get yourself in the situation you describe

Loddy

If i didn't like the spanish i would possibly find myself at odds and life hard seeing as i have quite a few spanish relatives, infact my family and I are on our way over at the end of this month as we have a family celebration to attend 2nd week in october :thumb:. One of my spanish nephews is having his 18th birthday

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back