towing cars

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by voyager 1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

To Tow or not to Tow That is the question ?

I personaly don`t see the point of it ,you might as well go back to tugging thats my view

would like to hear the views of other funsters bot
    h for and against.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

It depends what you tow. We sometimes tow and sometimes not, it depends where we are going. The thing is with a motorhome you have the choice, with a caravan you don't !!!.
    I tow a buggy and sometimes a boat, would be more than a little difficult with a caravan.

Attached Files:

3. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I tow because my wife is disabled therefore we need transport when we get to where we are going.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Sometimes we take bikes, sometimes we tow the car and on our winter trips to Spain etc we hire a car as we need it .
    All of the time we have the comfort of an RV and having done it would not repeat our caravan towing experience :Smile:

5. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

We sometimes take a car.......but have a choice......it depends where and for how long we are going for plus I can also have a choice of car I take :thumb:

6. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

We toad a car all the time, mopeds/motorbikes are no good to us because of my disability. We need transport to get out and about and go for shopping, as taking a 35' Rv into carparks is not suitable some times.
    But is is nice to leave your home on site and not having to pack everything away each time you want to go out.
    If we decided to downsize and get a more practicle sized veh for our travels then the toad may go.

But its to everyones own needs what they require.

• Like Like x 2
  7. aba

aba

8. alfandM

alfandM Funster

we've made our MH equip t for towing our trailer that is used on long haul's, as we don't like to bung our self's up in the MH, on short trip we don't need to take our trailer, + i like to take my motorcycle some times ,so having the towing purposes comes in very handy for us,:thumb:

9. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Be sure of what you can actually tow. My Sprinter has a manufacturer's stated towing limit of 2,800kg however the chassis extension fitted by the converter lengthens rear overhang thereby moving the towbar backwards putting more dynamic stresses on the vehcile chassis. There is a derating table in Mercs handbook; cannot recall from memory what the actual figure is but cannot tow my 2,500kg boat, could even be below 2,000kg max.

Conversions with Alko chassis or chassis extensions like mine will have a lower tow capacity than the original base vehicle. On new towbars, the fitter is required to attach a plate showing maximum weight; my conversion is just a little too old for this requirement.

Also be aware that the trailers 50-100kg noseweight will rob you of load capacity.

Then there is trailer and gross train limits of newer driving licenses; no idea what they are as they don't affect me :)

Cheers.

10. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Why tow a car?

Because we couldn't find a caravan that had a slideout and
    ...had loads of payload and
    ...had the comfort of a full size shower and
    ...could be filled with gadgets and toys and
    ...didn't need an awning to feel spacious and
    ...could seat 7 for dinner comfortably and
    ...had a queen size bed and
    ...could be moved about independently and
    ...could be used without taking the 'other' vehicle

I could go on :Smile:

Simply put it's horse for courses...caravaners choose caravans because it suits them. Motorhomers...the same

And because of my last two points above I don't think the two are as comparable as your post suggests.

What we do is drive a motorised apartment around and take another motorised vehicle for convenience...

Caravaners drive a motorised vehicle around dragging a shed on wheels with them :Tongue1::Laughing::Wink: