Free Member
Feb 3, 2009
Australia
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
motorhoming 3 years caravan 40 years
We would like to tow a small car behind our 6mtre motor home to europe this year =. fginding it hard to find legal requirements Hoping to go to france spain and portugal any information would be great

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We would like to tow a small car behind our 6mtre motor home to europe this year =. fginding it hard to find legal requirements Hoping to go to france spain and portugal any information would be great
Honest answer use a trailor :thumb:
Uk ignores A frames
France mostly ignores A frames
Spain does;nt like A frames
Massive grey areas involved no definitive answers were all waiting for one:Doh:
Geo

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its very hard to argue with a policeman with a gun!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Mengler
I agree with Geo, use a trailor at least you know you will be right:thumb:, I always do if we take the Smart. Pete :thumb::thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Full info for Spain with pictures

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looking at the stars me thinks its a forbidden link to another site
Its been auto blocked:thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Spot on use a trailer but work out what weight you can tow before going to the exspense, make syre you get the right one.

All the best Rick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When did a trailer become a trailor?.

Loddy:ROFLMAO:
Sorry meant to say
Use a traylaw:RollEyes:
Taking the P**S out of ererors is the lowest form of whhittt:Doh:
its not my folt im deslexik and i have wrights too u no:Angry:
I will reepu
rapou
Im tellin Jim:Cool:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
We've been towing a Smartie & a traelieior for a year now thru-out Europe & no-one takes a blind bit of notice. The police are far too busy with more important stuff. Especially in Italy. A lot of people worry unnecessarily about the pros/cons, rights/wrongs, legality/illegality of towing. Just do it if it suits you. A-frame or trailer - no matter.:Smile:

Billkce

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My sentiments entirely I use an A frame
But the poster needed an Honest answer
and the only 100% trouble free way is with one of those pully along things I cant spell:Doh:
Goe::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you really must tow a car in europe, then make sure you have a second, insured full licence holder with you.

if stopped you will probably be told to unhitch the toad....but be ready for an on the spot fine especially in spain.

to be sure you are legal, as others have said, use a trailer.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why would you need to tow a car with a 6m 'van? Its small enough to manage without a car, surely.
Are the perceived benefits of towing that car really worth the extra costs incurred, ie the cost of the trailer/a-frame, towbar, more expensive ferry ticket, extra fuel and insurance? Not to mention the hassle of security of your betrailered car whilst you are parked up!

I'm only trying to offer another point of view, and I apologise if I have missed the point and a mobility issue is making your choice for you.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, our vans only 6.72m, :Smile: and it depends where we go, when we go to Germany / France and moving on every couple of days we don't take it. When we go to Spain and staying on camp sites for a couple of months its well worth the extra cost.:thumb:
We toured Brittany for 2 months and took the car, and saw a lot more than we would have without it.::bigsmile:
When in the UK we like the THS with the C & C C then we like the car, this weekend we went to a meet at Chelmsford with the MCC and never took the car, but even though there was a bus stop outside the site its not cheap if you don't have a bus pass.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
In early December, just over a month ago, we were touring through Spain (Andalucia) with an Aussie couple who were towing a little red car (Peugot/Citroen/Renault/Aygo??) on an A-frame. We weren't travelling together...just seemed to be hitting the same spots and campsites doing the Grenada, Cordoba and Seville thing.

On the road to Seville we noticed a motorhome pulled over on the downramp to the highway. The Spanish police looked like they were taking photographs of the motorhome and toad. :whatthe:

At the Seville campsite we bumped into the Aussies again. It was them who'd been pulled over and the police were indeed taking photos.

"No worries", says the Aussie. He whipped out some paperwork/certificate (I think it was Towtal) gave him and gave a copy to the police. On request he showed them how the brakes worked and how the steering for the toad worked. And after a while he was waved on his way again.

He had nothing bad to say about the police. According to him they (apparantly) hadn't seen anything like it before so were "investigating".

Can't believe they'd never seen anything like it before. So, are they softening in their views toward A-frames? Were they gathering field information (photos etc)? One of the things the Aussie mentioned was that the police had even been kind enough to motion him off at a highway glide-off and had him stop at the glide-on, so he could easily be on his merry way again. ( wonder if this wan't so they could check the braking system, somehow?)

It would be great if the Aussie was a member here and could elaborate on the experience.

P.S. Both vehicles were GB-registered.

P.P.S. I really wish members wouldn't do the tsk-tsk, raised eye-brow, rolled-eyes :RollEyes: thing whenever a-frames are brought up. The subject may well have been covered in depth before but there are always new experiences, new developments and constructive comments us newbies would appreciate the low-down on (even if it's a link to a sticky or where it's all been said before) :secret:

OP
OP
M

mengler

Free Member
Feb 3, 2009
Australia
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Many thanks Goose We are cosidering a tow car as we want to stay in one place longer and explore Last year we were in Tuscanny and even with a 6 mt. camper it was hard to explore the hill towns We are going to the Peterburgh show so hopefully will get some advice there.

PS I know I can,t spell but please do not correct I think communication on any level is good

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
PS I know I can,t spell but please do not correct I think communication on any level is good

If you want one mengler you get one, What's the worst that could happen? I know loads that have towed all over Europe with no issues. I am yet to see a prison sentance handed out for the offence. But Geo is correct, the only absolute legal way is with a traylor.
I have an aframe for my little 100bhp panda and love the freedom it gives on occasions. We dont use it all the time, just when we think it will be useful.

As for the above comment, I forgot to say, Welcome to the site. One thing that is not tolerated on this site and has never ever been is criticism of people's spelling. As long as it is readable and communicative it's fine. In all my years as a member I have only ever seen one person given a ban (short) from using the site, and that was due to his need to consistently point out posters poor spelling.
us funsters dont like that, its what seperates us from others.

And goose, your correct, we do roll our eyes, and we shouldn't when subjects like this come up. The further down the line you go the more you forget what it was like to be new to something. So your right to point it out.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This thread is worth reading, near the end of page two there are pictures of documents and regulations as used by Spanish police. There in no ambiguity, they are not legal in Spain.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Why would you need to tow a car with a 6m 'van? Its small enough to manage without a car, surely.
Are the perceived benefits of towing that car really worth the extra costs incurred, ie the cost of the trailer/a-frame, towbar, more expensive ferry ticket, extra fuel and insurance? Not to mention the hassle of security of your betrailered car whilst you are parked up!

I'm only trying to offer another point of view, and I apologise if I have missed the point and a mobility issue is making your choice for you.

Good point, & I was all for getting rid of the car & trailer whilst in Italy when we were so near to civilisation - i.e. shops etc.

However, time has shown us that a car is invaluable - especially in less cental campsites or hilly areas. Shopping can be a bind without a car. Continuous treks to the Supersol.... Also, touristing is more difficult. Buses & trains are Ok but sometimes you just need to get something important done quickly & a small car is great for that.

Security is not an issue on campsites. If you wild camp then you take a chance. :Doh:

Just about everyone here at Cabopino has hired a car at some stage.

I've kept a record of car costs and even after buying the car & trailer & fuel & insurance & ferries etc we are £1600 UP in the first year. Thats what it has saved us in fares/taxis/hiring etc. Also, the convenience factor cannot be ignored. How do you hump 60L of vino from Lidls on the bus!!!!:ROFLMAO:

We use the car about once every 3 days. Trailing it makes little difference to fuel costs. About £120 this year. Driving with a trailer is straightforward but reversing is a challenge - for me anyway.

Hope this helps:Cool:

Billkce

OP
OP
M

mengler

Free Member
Feb 3, 2009
Australia
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks to all of you Being a newbie I did not know how to get to topics already discussed. Have now and yes we are a lot wiser.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you want one mengler you get one, What's the worst that could happen?

Two armed Spanish cops with no English and big guns issuing you with big fines and refusing to let you move.

If he has two drivers he could survive a lot poorer but if he is the single drive he would be stuffed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yet more scaremongering.
i wouldnt say Brian was scaremongering....being realistic, yes.

you get stopped by spanish plod, they dont speak english, you dont speak spanish.
your tone of voice or even your accent may sound agressive to them, even if it isnt, and you dont argue with spanish plod...remember, its not that long ago these were Franco's henchmen and a law unto themselves.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If the local spanish police have an instruction to fine people and stop them doing something do you really think a little thing like it not being an actual law will stop them? The op asked for advice and was told if you do not wish to have hassle in Spain it is best to use a trailer I see this as good advice

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Regulations and laws for motorhomes in Spain can be downloaded from our download section.

Link Removed

Extract:
About towing a car:

Have also made consultations on the possibility that a motor home traveling to tow a car, that possibility is prohibited by Article 9.3 of the General Rules of vehicles that will not allow movement of a motor vehicle dragging to another, except that this is damaged or injured and can not be dragged by another specifically intended for that purpose, in which case it is allowed to drag their town or village nearest where you can be detained without hindering the movement and provided they are not traveling by highway or freeway .

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the movement of a body composed of a motor vehicle and a trailer or semitrailer which is transported on another vehicle, is permitted if the package meets the conditions for driving on public roads and is approved according to Directives 70/156/EEC and 94/20/EC and also does not exceed the maximum allowable length for these sets is that of 18.75 meters to 16.50 meters for trailers and semitrailers.

What was made public for general knowledge.

Madrid, Jan. 28, 2008

THE DIRECTOR GENERAL

Pere Navarro Olivella

ALL UNITS OF THE AGENCY

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
My brother in law has been wildcamping in Spain since early December. He is on his own and tows a car on an A frame. He has not been stopped by the authorities. He does this every year and stays approx 4 months.
I go to Spain during the winter and tow a car using an A frame and not been stopped.

Has any funster actually been stopped and fined by the Spanish plod. Please do not include "I know a friend of a friend etc"

Ian

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hi Scotjimland, Yes I read that and it would appear that the fine was not for having an A Frame but that the combined length of the two vehicles was in excess of 12 metres.
I for one will continue to use my A Frame in Spain.
When I mentioned that my brother in law was stopped for using an A Frame, he asked for a receipt, the police did not fine him and told him to go on his way.

Ian

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I rest my case..as always

This thread is worth reading, near the end of page two there are pictures of documents and regulations as used by Spanish police. There in no ambiguity, they are not legal in Spain.

Link Removed

Would you jump a red light? Do you turn your lights on when it is dark? Do you put your seat belt on? ... So why is it you want to ignore the laws when you tow a car in Spain? Do you think it is OK because you are Englsh to take no notice? I take it those that ignore the Spannish law do not comply with the French law and yellow jackets, or warning triangles ? To my view.. If in Rome do as the Romans do... Simples.. Me I pull a trailer, why invite unwanted police attention...and the risk of a fine.. And if you do not comply with the law you are in effect operating an uninsured vehicle...

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back