Towing an Automatic car with 'A' Frame (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Greetings everyone. Having towed an Auto SMART car[disabled driver / auto only] with an 'A' frame for a couple of years now we are looking for any other AUTOMATIC cars being towed by the 'A' frame method.........Make & Model of your AUTO being towed will be very very helpful. There must be plenty out there??
Thanks very much....

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Jeep Grand Cherokee Auto on an imported USA A frame and Brake Buddy :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi davidallan

We are towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr 1.6 auto

Unsure whether the later models can be towed?.... ours is on a '51 plate

Cheers Brian

scotsy

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Funster No
auto?

I'm new to this game but surely ANY car that is front wheel drive and doesn't make the combined unit exceed it's 'train' weight etc could be towed on an A frame without other mods. :RollEyes:

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

HI, not all autos can be used on an A frame, it all depends on the oil feed to the gear box, many auto boxes lock the clutch plates when on the move and this will wreck the gearbox if used on an A frame, If you tow automactics you may over pressure the gearbox oil and blow the seals. this is why you saw many auto,s being towed with their rear wheels off the road or placed on a trailer.
michael

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Conventional torque converter automatic gearboxes are likely to be damaged by being towed. Our Citroen Pluriel uses their sensodrive paddleshift five-speed sequential gearbox. It's actually a manual gearbox with a conventional clutch so it's fine to tow.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
PLEASE keep these experiences coming........Citroen senso-drive OK... Thats about the size I need .., and more importantly i'm sure other members will be interested in the RESULTS & COMMENTS....
WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE IN 'TOWABLE' 'A' frame automatics..?????????????

Interesting results from a few main makes/dealers enquiries has resulted in a resounding NO YOU CANNOT TOW THEM !
Even the 'Smart Car ' Handbook says you cannot TOW it with all wheels on the ground.
Thank goodness we have such sites as this ;where direct experiences give straight forward answers..................MANY Thanks Davidallan

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi,

I know it's probably too big for you considering the comments you have made but just for information, the Jeep Commander Auto instruction book not only says you CAN tow it but also tells you what to do to tow it in a section called "Towing all wheels down e.g behind a motorhome"

HTH

Bryan

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
auto

hi,i have a mercedes vaneo 1.6 petrol with a manual gearchange but no clutch pedal so its just the same as an auto.i tow it on an a frame.i am also disabled and have a crane in the back of the vaneo so ive got the best of both towing and the camper,it does 35ish mpg,and its rearly nice to drive [and easy].hope this helps.muz

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi davidallan

We are towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr 1.6 auto

Unsure whether the later models can be towed?.... ours is on a '51 plate

Cheers Brian

Hi again

Just for the record ....... our Suzuki manual says - you can tow 4WD auto four wheels down and gives instructions under Recreational Towing.

Brian

Last edited:

scotsy

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Funster No
I told you i was new:ROFLMAO:

I thought an A frame was the dolly type thing where the front wheels are off the ground...

note to self.."read the post properly before diving in with a reply":RollEyes:

Sorry OP:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
You can tow any 4x4 as long as it has a neutral position in the transfer box (the 2nd gearstick with high and low range on it!!):thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,i have a mercedes vaneo 1.6 petrol with a manual gearchange but no clutch pedal so its just the same as an auto.i tow it on an a frame.i am also disabled and have a crane in the back of the vaneo so ive got the best of both towing and the camper,it does 35ish mpg,and its rearly nice to drive [and easy].hope this helps.muz

no it isnt Muz...you have an auto clutch which is totaly different to an auto box.

a manual box doesnt rely on oil pressure and electronics ...auto's do.

you select neutral on your car and the engine is completely disconnected from the output shaft to the drive wheels...

an auto relies on oil pressure from the input shaft and driving the gears, via the output shaft from the drive wheels when towing, will not produce any pressure.

no pressure...no lubrication....no gearbox :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can tow any 4x4 as long as it has a neutral position in the transfer box (the 2nd gearstick with high and low range on it!!):thumb:

or manual/auto disconnect front hubs...suzuki, toyota etc

landrover are permenant 4WD and cant be flat towed at all.

Piston Power

Free Member
Mar 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Transit
I was using an a frame and towed my 307 automatic 300miles, I just let the engine tick-over also Volvo V70 and again no damage as gear box is fully oiled.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Note to myself must look in handbook to see if my Mitsubushi PHEV can be towed. Not behind my van though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Note to myself must look in handbook to see if my Mitsubushi PHEV can be towed. Not behind my van though.
This thread is 12 years old.... I doubt the OP will be reading now. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back