Towing a trailer, a question for the knowledgeable.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Florencee, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Florencee

Florencee Funster

I will be 70 shortly having gained my full licence in 1975. I will then revert to a BE licence.
    I have a motorhome of 3500kg. Additionally, I would like to tow a trailer of less than 750kg. In articles I have read there seems to be some confusion as to whether the trailer weight is included in the 3500kg or whether it can be a 3500kg motorhome plus a trailer.

I would be grateful if anyone could clarify this.

Many thanks

Florence

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes you can pull any weight trailer as long as you dont break the trainweight of the towing vehicle .
    b+e aquired before 19-1-2013 . then licences got later its only a trailer upto 3.500kg . if the tow vehicle allows .
    your ok . with the right tow vehicle and a fifth wheel it could be 11-12 ton trainweight .

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

B licence allows a trailer up to 3500kg TOTAL COMBINED weight (trailer plus vehicle), depending on your vehicles train weight it could be less.
    B+E licence allows ANY weight trailer depending on your vehicles train weight limit.

750kg limit is for unbraked trailers only and is a maximum weight.
    Your vehicle may be plated at a lower weight for unbraked trailers, but nothing to do with licence category.

My Chrysler has a gross weight of 2.3 tons plus a braked trailer limit of 2 tons....but an unbraked trailer limit of just 450kg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. Florencee

Florencee Funster

Many thanks vwalan and pappajohn for your informative replies. Just looked at our train weight and it is 5500kgs so no problems there.

Best wishes

Florence

• Like Like x 1