Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've had two Kontiki 669's,my first one in 2010 could tow 2000kgs.I used
to tow a Renault modus on a trailer.
My second one in 2012 could only tow 1550kgs,so had to get a littler car
Kia Picanto,which I also towed on a trailer.
There is one difference between my Kontiki's they both had the 3 litre
engine with automatic gearbox,but a Swift Bolero 2.3 can tow 2000kgs.
using swifts figures below the 669 has maximum laden mass of 5000kg and a train weight of 6000kg. assuming you load the van within its margin you can only tow 1000kg. swifts quoted trailer weight relates to an empty van:thumb:
Maximum Technical Permissable Laden Mass 5000kg 98.4cwt
Mass in Running Order 4230kg 83.3cwt 4280kg 84.2cwt 4297kg 84.6cwt
Maximum User Payload 770kg 15.2cwt 720kg 14.2cwt 703kg 13.8cwt
Essential Habitation Equipment 9kg 0.2cwt
Maximum Recommended Trailer Weight 1600kg 31.5cwt Gross Train Weight 6000kg 118.1cwt

the 3 different weights are 2.3litre engine and 3.0litre and 3.0litre auto

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Fiat 500 kerb weights 865-980kg add 500 kg people and luggage allowance to that which puts it at around 1480kg + A frame takes you potentially over 1500kg

There are very few if any modern cars that have a gross plated weight of less than 1000 kg even a smart for 2 is over that these days.

That's the advantage of using a trailer provided the plated weight of the trailer is not going to take you over your gross train weight and of course you don't put more on the trailer than its plate allows.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Fiat 500 kerb weights 865-980kg add 500 kg people and luggage allowance to that which puts it at around 1480kg + A frame takes you potentially over 1500kg

There are very few if any modern cars that have a gross plated weight of less than 1000 kg even a smart for 2 is over that these days.

That's the advantage of using a trailer provided the plated weight of the trailer is not going to take you over your gross train weight and of course you don't put more on the trailer than its plate allows.

True but the actual weight of a car on a trailer is a lot greater than a car and an A frame. Our new toad (Suzuki Alto) is within the train weight of our motorhome, but would not be if it was on a trailer (unless you can get a 1 ton+ trailer that weighs less than 400kg.)

Just reread the above post. Could you get 500kg of people in a Fiat 500. This equates to nearly seven average people or five fat barstewards like me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Can I clear one thing up here, I don't use kerb weight as this excludes water batteries and crew, use the unladen weight as this excludes fuel crew and load, the difference between unladen weight and gross is the pay load then we have the train weight which includes any trailer. Manufacturers sometimes misuse the term kerb weight as do operators, as a previous post stated don't believe the manufacturers weight unladen they can be wrong as we all add things on even your awning may not be included in a Motorhomes unladen weight, if in any doubt weigh it, one reason I always have a RV the rev has a 3ton + payload and can tow 61/4ton :thumb: doubt I will overload it, but that said I tow 3ton plated at 3.5 ton and am aware I could still overload my back axle especially on a pusher :Eeek:

All the best Rick

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We`re always bemused by people towing a car behind their motorhome.

If you need a car when you get to your destination why not just use the family car to tow a caravan....OR do what we do, if we feel the need to get about sight seeing and don`t want to use the motorhome we just hire a car.

Looking at the cost of buying a Tow Car, running expenses, Tax, Ins etc. then cost of Trailor and Tow Bar we`re thinking you can hire a lot of cars for that, always have a new vehicle and don`t have the worry of towing it.:Doh:
Hmmm.. Tell me where I can hire a car in Spain for 10 weeks x the amount of years we have / will go down there and I might agree..
Or tell me where I can hire a car that will follow me around different outlandish locations in some remote parts of the Alps, then to Italy, then to Croatia, then Poland then Germany and I might agree !

Oh, and when I have no further use for the hire car will I be able to sell it and get a big chunk of the cost of the rental back ?
I suspect the rental company might get a bit miffed !

Yes, if you are not one of those folk who travel but use the MH very little or perhaps stay in the UK and do not tour ( staying in one place ) the car rental option is a darned good one.. but def not something that would work for me !! :Smile:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It does all get very confusing, I started the other thread a few days ago because I can not get my head round it all.
If I hook my tow car up with a A frame and go to a weigh bridge and it all weighs under 6000kg my max weight allowance, in my head it's not a problem as I am under weight. But if you looked at the plate on the tow car say a fiat 500 then that would say I am over my 6000kg because the max weight on the fiat is over the 1000kg I am allowed to tow. But I am not towing it fully loaded with peaple and luggage in, I am towing it empty so there for am within my 6000kg on the weighbridge.:Doh:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Dont quite agree with your logic i would much rather tow a small car than a heavy caravan,and you dont have to run two cars,most small cars now are zero rated for tax.I caravaned for the best part of 40yrs and would not go back to towing a caravan.:roflmto: JohnM

It`s not so much logic as our preference, we`re thinking all but the smallest of tow cars are going to be the same weight in not more than some of the new light weight caravans.

We used to tow a caravan also and since owning a motorhome certainly wouldn`t go back to towing.
As said taking into consideration the cost of buying a small tow car plus Tow bar, Trailor and running costs, we feel it`s a whole lot easier to just hire a car for those days you need a run around and when you don`t want one you haven`t got it to worry about.
God knows it difficult enough trying to park a motorhome without a trailor behind it when you are travelling around and want to stop for lunch or have a look at a place you are passing through
We see all the time tow cars on trailors not being used but people bring them because they have one.:Doh:

That`s what is so good about this lifestyle we are all different and one size certainly doesn`t fit all.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hmmm.. Tell me where I can hire a car in Spain for 10 weeks x the amount of years we have / will go down there and I might agree..
Or tell me where I can hire a car that will follow me around different outlandish locations in some remote parts of the Alps, then to Italy, then to Croatia, then Poland then Germany and I might agree !

Oh, and when I have no further use for the hire car will I be able to sell it and get a big chunk of the cost of the rental back ?
I suspect the rental company might get a bit miffed !

Yes, if you are not one of those folk who travel but use the MH very little or perhaps stay in the UK and do not tour ( staying in one place ) the car rental option is a darned good one.. but def not something that would work for me !! :Smile:

As said in a previous post, one size doesn`t fit everyone, as you have demonstrated in your post.
This is why we changed our tag axle for a smaller motorhome, we now find we can get into most places, easier to park etc etc.
The car hire option will and does work in certain situations though there will always be the time when it doesn`t, we don`t live in that perfect world, that`s what makes this all so interesting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back