Towing a Smart car (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi everyone , I thought I had every thing sorted for our first trip out towing our new (to us) smart car got the tow bar fitted yesterday , new number plate and was fairly convinced I knew what to do regarding how to set up the gearbox for towing but reading the hand book that came with the car says it should not be towed for more than 30 miles so my question is as I know lots of members on here tow smart cars and even the bloke I bought it of said he had towed it all over France , am I ok to tow it for longer than 30 miles ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is it automatic or manual? There's a huge difference when it comes to towing, for any car not just the Smart.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
It can be both auto and manual transmission but has no clutch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It can be both auto and manual transmission but has no clutch

That makes it semi-auto which for the purposes of this is the same as auto.

I don't know if there is something special you can do to a Smart but generally towing an auto with the drive wheels on the ground is a no no except in an emergency.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last edited:
OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I believe you have to have the key in the ignition and neutral selected. You may then be able to take the key out once you are sure it has genuinely selected neutral. Get it wrong you will need a new transmission. :)
Yes that what the previous owner told me so fingers crossed that will be ok(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Smarts are actually fitted with a manual gear box that is electronically controlled ( apart from the new breed which are all odd and different ! )
Make sure it is in neutral and thats about it really..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK that was a useful link and quite a lively thread I think (y)
It is a few years old though so I'm not sure sure if "best practice" advice has changed since then. Hopefully someone will come along soon to confirm or otherwise.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a Smart but put it on a trailer, had an old fiat on an a frame that was fine but not good in Spain.
@Reallyretired is the best person to ask because he blew a gearbox on his Smart, he could give you a few tips. :) Bob.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Howard, yes you can tow the Smart , MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS TO PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL AFTER SELECTING NEUTRAL {IGNITION ON) this completes the circuit and ensure neutral is actually selected. I know from bitter and expensive experience!!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks Dave,I will make sure I do that when I have done that do I turn the key back to the auxiliary position so the ignition lights go off but the key is not fully off ?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My Smart car handbook stated, 'do not tow wheels down for more than 30 miles at no more than 30 mph'. So it went on a trailer. Simple.

Craig

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Smart Cars can indeed be towed wheels down. However you do have to make doubly sure that you have selected neutral. I towed one for many miles until the gearbox and engine destroyed themselves!!!. To this day I contend that the ONLY way it could happen is for me to have miss selected even though the indicator WAS most definitely showing Neutral!!!. AND the foot brake had been selected. WE had had issues prior with the gearbox indicator showing a Neutral and with the engine not starting. But assumed it was unfamiliarity?.

Go to it and enjoy. But remember if you want to go to Spain etc; you need a trailer!!. The dumb continental barstewards cannot read the Treaty of Rome!!.

Pete

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks Dave,I will make sure I do that when I have done that do I turn the key back to the auxiliary position so the ignition lights go off but the key is not fully off ?
If I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if the key is in the ignition as they don't have a steering lock. But I stand to be corrected on that. I seem to remember that I took the key out and locked the car whilst being towed, stops the chance of anyone getting in if stationary, eg at traffic lights for instance.
Cheers, Dave

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Smart Cars can indeed be towed wheels down. However you do have to make doubly sure that you have selected neutral. I towed one for many miles until the gearbox and engine destroyed themselves!!!. To this day I contend that the ONLY way it could happen is for me to have miss selected even though the indicator WAS most definitely showing Neutral!!!. AND the foot brake had been selected. WE had had issues prior with the gearbox indicator showing a Neutral and with the engine not starting. But assumed it was unfamiliarity?.

Go to it and enjoy. But remember if you want to go to Spain etc; you need a trailer!!. The dumb continental barstewards cannot read the Treaty of Rome!!.

Pete
The Treaty of Rome has nothing to do with it otherwise we'd be able to drive on the left, obey our own speed limits, and point our headlamps wherever we wanted.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My Smart car handbook stated, 'do not tow wheels down for more than 30 miles at no more than 30 mph'. So it went on a trailer. Simple.

Craig
What year, model and gearbox type do you have ?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
What year, model and gearbox type do you have ?
I haven't got it now, sold it a few years ago but it was the Smart passion four 2, auto/man clutch less gearbox, and I think it was a 2004 model. Lovely little car, but I obeyed the book info, re towing.

Craig

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I haven't got it now, sold it a few years ago but it was the Smart passion four 2, auto/man clutch less gearbox, and I think it was a 2004 model. Lovely little car, but I obeyed the book info, re towing.

Craig
Towed mine all over the place ! No issues at all:)
That was actually my favorite Smarty.. and the one I modified most heavily.. Spent more than £3500 on mods and upgrades ( inc Tsunami turbo, a lot of head work, special cams, extractor zorst etc etc etc.. Oh, and a wrap that made it look like a shark.. complete with a fin ( BMW antenna ) on the roof !

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I am never a fan of towing wheels down, I prefer a trailer.

Craig

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
The answer seems to me to not buy a smart car, we have a pug 107 great little car and tows fine don't know it's on the back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back