Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Swinton Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Everyone and Hello
Does anyone here tow a Qpod behind their MH, I would like to hear your experiences, problems, how many miles towed. As a new Qpod owner I know what fun they are, just want to know what to expect on our regular jaunts away.

Thank you in advance Hymer494

Freespirit2011

Free Member
Jan 15, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
many years
Sorry not what you were probably looking for but thought it may be of interest. Ian

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 47
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We had a 54 reg funtech and initially towed it on the hitch provided as a extra. As you know this tows it on rear wheels only, which I understand is not strictly legal, any 'trailer' if fitted with brakes must be operational whilst being towed. I did make a special trailer to overcome this.
The other problem I experienced was with much of the weight thrown onto the rear wheels was on two occasions the rear wheel bearings shattered. The earlier models including mine were fitted with a single bearing on either side, later models double sets were fitted either side. Later models were also fitted with a lateral tie bar on the rear axles which prevented lateral strain on the inner drive shaft spline clamp.
If yours is a recent model should be ok, great in the summer with roof and doors off, have fun. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you do decied to suspend tow it,dont do as I once did and leave it in gear. Shredded the drive belt,and they are not easy to get or cheap.
Once saw a German with one crossways on a platform on the back of his motorhome,by far the best idea.
Do agree they are great fun,and much better than a scooter.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We had a 54 reg funtech and initially towed it on the hitch provided as a extra. As you know this tows it on rear wheels only, which I understand is not strictly legal, any 'trailer' if fitted with brakes must be operational whilst being towed. I did make a special trailer to overcome this.
The other problem I experienced was with much of the weight thrown onto the rear wheels was on two occasions the rear wheel bearings shattered. The earlier models including mine were fitted with a single bearing on either side, later models double sets were fitted either side. Later models were also fitted with a lateral tie bar on the rear axles which prevented lateral strain on the inner drive shaft spline clamp.
If yours is a recent model should be ok, great in the summer with roof and doors off, have fun. :thumb:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought brakes were not a requirement on a trailer under 750 Kg.
How heavy is a Qpod?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK everyone!

I should have read into the post more carefully!
Of course the Qpod rear axle would have brakes and they would have to work I suppose!

D'oh! Bloody laws!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought brakes were not a requirement on a trailer under 750 Kg.
How heavy is a Qpod?

Sorry for delay in response, you are right, on trailers under 750kg brakes are not required , but, if fitted they must be operational.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back