Towing a QPOD/Funtech

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hymer494, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hymer494

hymer494 Read Only Funster

Hi Everyone and Hello
    Does anyone here tow a Qpod behind their MH, I would like to hear your experiences, problems, how many miles towed. As a new Qpod owner I know what fun they are, just want to know what to expect on our regular jaunts away.

Thank you in advance Hymer494

2. Freespirit2011

Freespirit2011 Read Only Funster

Sorry not what you were probably looking for but thought it may be of interest. Ian

Attached Files:

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We had a 54 reg funtech and initially towed it on the hitch provided as a extra. As you know this tows it on rear wheels only, which I understand is not strictly legal, any 'trailer' if fitted with brakes must be operational whilst being towed. I did make a special trailer to overcome this.
    The other problem I experienced was with much of the weight thrown onto the rear wheels was on two occasions the rear wheel bearings shattered. The earlier models including mine were fitted with a single bearing on either side, later models double sets were fitted either side. Later models were also fitted with a lateral tie bar on the rear axles which prevented lateral strain on the inner drive shaft spline clamp.
    If yours is a recent model should be ok, great in the summer with roof and doors off, have fun. :thumb:

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If you do decied to suspend tow it,dont do as I once did and leave it in gear. Shredded the drive belt,and they are not easy to get or cheap.
    Once saw a German with one crossways on a platform on the back of his motorhome,by far the best idea.
    Do agree they are great fun,and much better than a scooter.

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought brakes were not a requirement on a trailer under 750 Kg.
    How heavy is a Qpod?

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

OK everyone!

I should have read into the post more carefully!
    Of course the Qpod rear axle would have brakes and they would have to work I suppose!

D'oh! Bloody laws!:BigGrin:

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Sorry for delay in response, you are right, on trailers under 750kg brakes are not required , but, if fitted they must be operational.