Towing a mini

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Nobby Clarke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Nobby Clarke

Nobby Clarke Read Only Funster

Does anyone have experience of towing a mini on a trailer behind their MH? My engine is the 2.3 l, 150bhp Fiat and the mini weighs 1260kg. My mini cannot be towed on an a-frame as it has a viscous differential.
    Any comments gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Paul

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ive towed lots of minis on trailers both road and race spec usually behind 2 litre transits fully loaded without any problems you need to check your maximum train weight which is on the plate attached to your vehicle somewhere

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I`m surprised you have not had an answer yet..

Plenty of Hymer owners in the club...

I should imagine a Mini on a single wheeled trailer would tow very nicely.... if... you are within your weight limits... for the vehicle and your driving license...

4. Nobby Clarke

Nobby Clarke Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies, I think I will rent a trailer and give it a go. Whilst I'm within the towing limits I'm cautious regarding the ability to tow the weight effectively.
    Regards
    Paul

5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It won't be fast, but will do the job. Average trailer weighs around a ton, so 2.3 ton would be the effective tow weight on the back.

You can reduce the strain on the engine, by keeping momentum going. To do this look ahead, crawl towards junctions and in traffic to prevent yourself having to stop. Weight is greater when moving from a standstill.

6. steevie

steevie Funster

just a bit heavy on that one for a modern trailer. Most two ton gross ones weigh around 500 kgs these days. trouble is here tho, the modern mini is a family saloon, and weighs nearly twice as much as the little cars usually towed behind motorhomes. A single axle one would be a bit of a hard thing to load and tow carrying a car of 1.25tons.

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2012A_MaxPrintreadyVer4_1.pdf

7. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I tow a TA BJ Amax trailer with a Kangoo Estate on it which weighs 1280kg, a mini would be too heavy for a single axle trailer