towing a frame help

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xjrchris, Jun 15, 2014.

1. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

that one is only for recovery work . it as no means of working a brake .
    very similer to my old one . i have used it for thousands of miles . i did recovery work. still use it but only for recovery . nod nod . wink wink.
    driven sensibly they work . but think its not ideal for you.
    sliding hitch and a bowden cable could fix it but really dont risk your licence,

3. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

As you seem to want to tow very occasionally why not look into hiring a car trailer it may work out cheaper in the long run.
    Also make sure you have the capacity to tow ie. The GVW and the GTW of your MH.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its honestly the wrong time to be buying an a frame, as the law is changing in the uk this autumn. what is now legal(ish) on the brakes is definitely not going to be come october.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

most of the aframe set ups now arent legal as a sliding hitch should put the brakes on when you reverse . thats why trailers have auto reverse brakes fitted . the electric operated ones are ok . and some others but a sliding hitch set up if fitted and working properly cant be .

6. Merle

Merle Funster

That sir is a sweeping statement that is not entirely true. Please don't generalise, it may give the wrong impression to the unwary

7. MrsBB

MrsBB Funster

Thought you would get grandfather rights . Going to be lots of unhappy a frame if not.

Having one fitted tomorrow!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. TheBig1

its always been very dodgy ground having a cable operated brake, as not all the brakes are working efficiently as designed. when the new rule comes in it will require all brakes to be power actuated, either by air or electric

nope, no grandfather rights as how can you prove when a car was adapted and it has nothing to do with the driving licence of the driver. anyone wanting to tow a car on an a frame will need to have a compliant brake system fitted. the same way it became illegal to use an unbraked frame except for genuine recovery at limited speed. yep, plenty of really peed off a-framers in the near future

9. Merle

Merle Funster

Thank you for highlighting the difference between the new type and old braking systems....but has there been any mention of retrospective law enforcement? Surely the new legislation will only apply to new manufacture, if not there will be an awful lot of folks out there with illegal trailers!!

10. keith

keith Funster

Where can one view this new legislation and all the new rules please.

11. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Thanks but after all the reply's all I can say is
    HELP :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    pmsl ,thanks for all the reply's I think I will by another bike as I understand bike trailers :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. TheBig1

info was from a mate down the pub:Wink:

oh forgot to mention he is a DVSA (was VOSA) inspector. will ask him for a link to the new rules that you can all see. this ruling wont affect normal centre axle trailers, only "vehicle derived trailers" and will as it stands be retrospective. so any currently cable operated braking systems will need to be upgraded apparently. was only part of a conversation and i got the impression that there was more to come but he cant really mention it yet.

legislation takes time to write and for a consultation process. i am sure there are people with more knowledge than me on this on the forum. perhaps they would care to comment

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is the current DfTdocument on “A”-Frames and Dollies.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_200824.pdf

it has links to EU directives.... useful for insomniacs...

info on the C&CC site.. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/towing/towing-with-a-motorhome/

For Information only .. I don't do A frame debates.. :Laughing:

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

an existing A frame will still be 'legal' but the over run braking system wont be legal.

You can still use the A frame but will need an electric/electric over hydraulic actuator for the brakes.

15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have just had fitted a new unbraked a frame and to go with it an RVi Brake 2
    www.rvibrake.com , I bought the RVi direct from the manufacturer in Colorado, just 48 hours from order to my door. :thumb:

16. Merle

Merle Funster

Are you saying that a retrospective law is to be applied then? if so then the new requirements for all trailers to have fog lights must surely be applied to old trailers.
    Sorry I think that should have been reversing lights