Burlstar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
Can anyone give me advice on towing a car and what kerb weight of a car i should not exceed.
I have a Dodge 461 V8 engine and its 33ft in length.

i use this useful link for kerb weights of most cars:

Link Removed

many thanks

Burleigh

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its not the weight of the car you need to worry about, its the maximum weight the RV can tow that matters.

If you find the weight information (usually inside a cupboard) of the RV it will tell you all you need to know.

We tow our Jeep Grand Cherokee (2 tonnes!!!) behind the Concord on an A frame (lets not got there shall we!!!:ROFLMAO:) and even when fully loaded are still well within the limits of the RV.

Are you planning on towing a car/trailer combo or 4 wheels down on an A frame??

Personally i wouldnt consider towing with a trailer as the Jeep towes effortlessly behind the RV and you really do forget its there. It follows the RV perfectly and wont cut corners like trailers tend to.

Cheers:thumb:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if your RV is under 7.5 tonnes and you have an ordinary licence passed before 1997 then the total train weight cannot exceed 8.25 tonnes, if you have a "C" licence and you RV is over 7.5tonnes then you cannot tow more than 750kg, if you have "C+E" you can tow to the limit of your hitch or max train weight.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
As already mentioned the limits on what you can tow are given on a sticker in the RV (our was on the inside of the wardrobe door) these are the figures to look out for:

Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is the maximum allowable weight that a road vehicle can tow in combination with its own Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). Deducting the GVWR from the GCWR will give you the vehicle's maximum towable weight limit.

The licensing and hitch situation has already been clarified

:Smile:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back