Towing a Car

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wessex wanderer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. wessex wanderer

wessex wanderer Read Only Funster

I keep thinking that a car would give us a wee bit more flexibility, would appreciate any comments and advice..

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Did you use a particular mathematical formula to arrive at your thinking or was it a Eureka moment:BigGrin:
    Yes you are right it does add flexibility,
    It also adds problems about how you tow, have you the capacity to tow, both physically and legally
    Geo

3. wessex wanderer

Oohh Geo this was a pure Eureka moment :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    I've done some research, A frames, engine size, car weights etc..:Smile:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not if you need to reverse.

5. keith

keith Funster

6. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Towing

If you use the 'Search' button on the MHF toolbar and type in towing you will find all the info you need to make your mind up

7. wessex wanderer

Well thz Funsters, better not ask here again..i'm goin :reel::sorry2:

8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Hi there - we all ask questions without searching -
    You are not alone!:Rofl1:

And when I start towing a car, I'll probably ask the same!

S

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

With over 50,000 threads and over 500,000 responses if we used the search button rather than ask, then no one need make another post. We could just turn the site into a thick read only wiki and close it to new members. :BigGrin: We don't have an FAQ for the very reason that we want people to ask, we want to interact with them and personally answer their questions. Those forums that tell new users to RTFM or point them toward the search button or an FAQ are not the nicest places.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Ian, if you want to tow a small car in the UK, then you could look at an A Frame, this is where the car is towed flat on all four wheels, its relatively simple and you do not have to worry about parking and securing a trailer on sites. Recently in Europe especially Spain the police have been issuing on-the-spot fines for A frames, so if you want to head there then a trailer is best. Tiny cars only need a small trailer but its still a hassle. This is why electric bicycles are popular:thumb:

11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

My post was to try and give some help, when those that had posted before me had made light of the subject.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Jim,
    Just as a matter of interest I am thinking of doing the same as Ian . However I seem to think that you can't tow a smart car on an a frame as they are automatic. Do you know if this is correct?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Hi Ian, I use an A Frame to tow a Kia Picanto and it gives me so much more flexibility. I only use it in UK and especially when visiting relatives in the Lake district. Some people on here will say 'why' others will agree. Bottom line is it is personal choice, whatever gives you what you want. There are a few types of A Frame available, again, it is personal choice and budget. I use the Uni-brake system but they all do what they are designed for. Good luck with making your decision.....Derek

14. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We bought a small car intending to use it as a tow car but haven't got around to fitting a tow bar on either the van or the car so one of us drives the car and one of us drives the van.
    We certainly make use of the car but there has to be two drivers.
    Not worth the expense off putting one on this van as we are changing it in the spring.
    We intend touring abroad soon and will sell the car as we have been told it's much easier on the continent without a car as sites are closer to the Towns and villages than in Britain

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You could get this

towing_caravan.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We tow a Peugeot 107 on an A Frame in the UK, a very economical 4 seater , an improvement we think on a 2 seat Smart car.
    We do have a Brian James trailer but what a pain when we get on site.

17. Willy Bippet

Willy Bippet Read Only Funster

Unless you pay the subscription you can't use the search facility, and as a new user he won't have subscribed (like me) ..... you need to be sure that you like the site and will return to it over again to decide whether or not to subscribe.

And it looks unlikely that Wessex will :RollEyes:

18. hilldweller

I don't see it quite like that Jim.

So many requests for help can require complex answers. So to the old lags in here it could be half an hour's typing for one person's answer or tell the OP to use search and get years of accumulated knowledge.

Many times I've posted a link to The Italian Job or said search on Italian Job because the information for enjoying Italy runs to many pages and it's all here, so in my humble opinion it's the best answer to the original question.

Same with batteries, always cropping up and many different people have offered different solutions. The same people might not be available to offer the advice this time round.

So if £10 or 40 miles travel is a stumbling block, knickers to them.

19. hilldweller

Fair enough. There is so much out there FOC why pay. I go on many sites and don't pay a penny. On the other hand I'll gladly pay up if the site needs support or offers real benefits, like the banter on here.

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I agree with you; a good thread that answers a question well should often be pointed too.

It rarely happens here, but on some forums someone takes the time to answer a thread but only to tell some new guy to use the search button or read the FAQ. This will more than likely provide the info but it does not come across as very friendly. What almost always happens here on fun is IMO perfect, someone paraphrases an answer and then points to the reference, this gives the forum a much friendlier feel and encourages new posters to join in:thumb:

• Like Like x 1