Towing a car with a Bessacarr E435( 2004)

Discussion in 'Bessacarr' started by parkay3560, Jul 22, 2010.

1. parkay3560

parkay3560 Read Only Funster

How do fellow MHers

a question if I may. Ive been thinking a lot about the fact that every bugger and his dog council seems hell best on putting height barriers everywhere and making it impossible for MHers like me to park for a nice day out. I have been thinking of getting a tow bar fitted to the back of the van( possibly one of those T-bar ones) and wanted to know if anyone with a Bessie E435 and 2.5 diesel had pulled a car behind them and if so, whats the max weight you would reccomend and how do they do towing???

I add that I had years of experience tugging a ( coughs loudly) caravan before I came to what was considered the darkside and moved to a MH..

Any info gratefully received.

Bessy regs

Kenny

2. kennygd

kennygd Read Only Funster

:Smile:I tow a Smart car on a trailer with a 2.8 engine 6 wheeler and no problems really, I think the maximum weight you can tow is 750kg but hopefully someone may correct me on that:thumb:
    kennygd

3. peter marshall

peter marshall

Towing

Hi Kenny
    I had a Bessie 465 2.3, towed a smart and trailer allround France and Spain, no probs.
    I had the T/Bar fitted in Freckleton at Michael Parkinsons done in a day and lent me a car to run round in while it was ready.

Pete :thumb::thumb:

4. parkay3560

Cheers Pete.

unfortunatly my Qasqui is a tad heavier than a smart car and I dont have room for two cars and a van( and cant afford to tax and insure two cars and van too LOL) wouldnt mind the towbar though cos it would be handy to pull a trailer behind the van with all the bits that get in the way in the van. Plus I have this idea to build something I saw on the back of a camper I saw in Tenby once. Was a custom box to hold a generator that kept it at the back of the van but when it was running it was near silent even close up....

Bessy regs

Kenny

5. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Kenny, we too had a towbar fitted by M Parkinson of Freckleton. We tow a Smart too. Do you really need a Qashqai? we manage with the smart everyday. Don't know it's there (unless I look at the rearview camera!) and only makes about 1mpg difference.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

6. parkay3560

Hi Dave

yep, I do need the qasqui. In 2000 I broke my back when a drunk driver nearly killed me.The car rolled three times and I was trapped in it. It took me years to get back to any normality. In 2006 I got rear ended again and this time fractured vertibre in my neck causing severe nerve damage. I cant manage getting in and out of a small car( believe me I tried lol) so went for a car that had a good height off the ground for ease of getting in and out of.

I think that Im living in cloud cuckoo land thinking of towing a car behind me with my current van and I have four years left to pay on her yet so I anticipate she will be my last van.I wont be able to buy one to replace her when she goes so I will make the most of the time I have with her. I might as well under the circumstances, if I go somewhere,hire a car when I am there.Think that probably would be the best for me-unless the 6 numbers come up at the weekend :)

Bessy regs

Kenny

7. davejen

davejen Funster