Towing a car - what happens on site?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by oaktree11, Aug 17, 2015.

1. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Hmmmm. Well, I have only just started thinking about this in depth and need some help from those of you with more practical experience.
    We intend to tow our Smart FourTwo on a single axle trailer which is fitted with motor movers (or will be when I have finished with it)
    I have no problem with towing, ground handling, loading/unloading or hitching/unhitching. The rig will weigh about 1000kg all up so it ok for my Burstner to tow.
    My question is about what do you do when you get to a site? How do you book the site? God forbid, do you have to book two pitches?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am just trying to avoid issues and learn!
    Thanks....

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Two scenarios.

1....if the trailer and car will fit on your pitch some sites don't charge
    2...Other sites charge a small fee for an extra car/trailer.

Personally I can't see why other than greed....they don't charge a caravanner for their tow car.

3. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

I tow my Smart ForTwo or Toyoya IQ on a single axel trailer and most sites don't charge anything extra as the car and trailer fit nicely on most pitches although I think on the very odd occasion I've been charged a small fee for the trailer!

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I do exactly what you're considering. I've only been doing it for 12 months but so far there has been no comment from anyone on arrival at a site. In a number of cases I haven't even bothered to unhitch. Where necessary I've unhitched & either parked the car and trailer unobtrusively or, on one site, parked the car on the trailer after each use.

• Like Like x 4
  5. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Thanks for all your help guys. We have just been away for the first time and, as you all said, it was no problem!
    John

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Get an A frame ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Runs for cover ..........................................:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

no, come back! I seriously considered an A frame but I am so pleased that I didnt choose one.
    The trailer has proved so easy to use and so flexible. It takes just under 10 mins to load the car and tie it down, it reverses sweetly and when th car isnt on the trailer we can use it for general stuff lke taking rubbish to the tip. No complications, no vehicle specific mods and I have a trailer I can sell for any small/medium car.
    So, abandon the cove and come and have a beer....
    John

• Like Like x 2
  8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe

Car & caravan.......2 units

Motorhome, trailer & car.....3 units......simples:)

Though I would agree if it all fits on one pitch then should be no extra charge.

9. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

They all fit on one pitch tidily and easily. The Smart car is only 400mm longer than the MH is wide. We have just been away for the weekend with some good friends who have a caravan. They are beginning to see the light having been on the pitch next to us. We were nearly home (having travelled cross country through the Peak District up some hills you would never be able to tow a 'van up) ages before them because we just upped and went, no tedious packing etc.
    Each to their own, I sit smugly in the MH camp.
    John

• Like Like x 2