Towing a Car on a Low Trailer

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by DJK, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DJK

DJK

Hi Folks
    I currently tow my Spartan Sports Car on an "A" frame with cable attached brake that work all 4 wheel on the car.
    I fancy doing Spain next year so the car would have to go on a trailer which in itself is not a problem I would build one.
    The question is all the trailers I have seen behind MH's are rather high due to the use of Torque Suspension units and I was looking at one that sat inside the wheels not on them, to a transport man a low-loader.
    I have seen car recovery dollies use this type of frame but never trailers with exception to this one I
    found posted on a site which I can't remember.
    Your comments please

David

Trailer for Spartan 1.jpg

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

There was a video of that one posted on here somewhere but I can't remember what it was called to search it.

3. SandT

SandT Funster

4. DJK

DJK

Thanks Terry
    I'm also looking for anyone with experience of using one. Most are American styles
    David

5. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Hi David,
    I dont know if this is of any specific help. I have just bought a trailer which we currently use for our Smart car. It is oversize for that purpose because I wanted to have more flexibility about what cars we can carry. I am building a Marlin Sporster and one day (!) maybe we can take that! Anyway, I wanted a low trailer and eventually found one made by Smart-Tow on Ebay. It is perfect for my purposes.
    I have attached a pic and before any eagle eyed person comments, I know that the winch is on back to front! The previous owner used to winch the trailer up a steep drive!
    It tows brilliantly and is really easy to load. The ramps slide out from under each side with little effort.
    We will be leaving the site we are on tomorrow and I will post a pic of the car loaded then
    John
    IMG_0871.JPG

6. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Check your train and towing weights, it's easy to go over the top if you're not careful.

We tow a big 6-wheel drawbar turntable trailer at 3500kgs, and while we don't tow with a motorhome, yet, we do come across a few 'funnies' when abroad, such as weight limits on small roads in France etc.

Reversing can be fun as well, but a single car trailer should be fine. Fitting a front towbar helps us a lot:

The device in the right hand bottom corner of the screen is the Sanef Toll Transponder.

Peter

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  7. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

David, I think you could be onto something with the idea of inboard wheels, It is certainly a way of keeping the width of the trailer to a minimum. The low centre of gravity should go some way towards compensating for the narrow track but it may need careful driving to avoid the forces at work when cornering from lifting the inner trailer wheel and causing it to roll over.

8. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Just a note on reversing with our trailer, it turns out to be a doddle. The rear view camera is essential but the trailer is easy to reverse and very controllable.
    And btw, with a Smart car the loading position is farther back than shown on the first pic to get the correct nose weight, I moved the stop guards back (see next pic when I post it!)

John

9. Violet1

Violet1

What's the Net and Gross weights of your trailer? As only have gtw of 2000kg

10. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Are you SURE that your GTW is only 2000kg?
    The Smart-Tow trailer had an unladen weight if 350kg and a gross weight of 1300kg so can carry up to 950kg
    John

11. Jonned

Jonned Funster

Are you sure that building your own is legal now? I thought they had to be EU certified.

12. Violet1

Violet1

Doh! I mean I only have max towing weight of 2000 kg car and trailer, license not a problem as hgv 1

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I have no idea of your credentials etc, but are you aware of the trailer law in Spain, not just A frames? basically you need to be aware that the trailer must carry a manufacturers plate serial number and be approved. Home made trailers are not acceptable

14. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

been taking my homemade trailer 2ton back and forth to Portugal(via Spain) for last 10 years never a problem, trailers in most european countries have to be plated and have own no plate Uk ones run on towing vehicle plate,
    as long as it looks right and complies with weights and brakes shouldn't be a problem,
    its still in eu discussion about self builds, time will tell,
    Alan,

15. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Our 3500kg 6-wheel drawbar turntable trailer is self-built and has never attracted the attention of the authorities in the UK or Europe.

Building your own is a bit difficult now as it has to be inspected and type approved. The leglislation came on at the end of September 2012 if I remember correctly. Ours was built before the deadline, but we couldn't build another like it now.

Peter

16. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Ok so back when they were about to ban bull bars the legislation was written such that if the bars were fitted before a certain date it was fine. The answer then was to have a vehicle that was old enough to have had them fitted and there would be no way of proving they were fitted after the date therefore they were legal.. what's the difference with a trailer. To me the law is pointless as all anyone needs in defence is to state that the trailer was built before 2012

17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I'm not sure it matters whether the wheels are tucked under. A Smart car trailer with wheels outside the load area is narrower than the MH anyway & the drivers door opens over the trailer mudguard. I wouldn't want my Brian James trailer to be any lower to the ground & anyway stability is more important than width.

18. oaktree11

oaktree11 Funster

Here are the pictures I promised of my trailer loaded. Just towed it 200 miles, it tows like a dream. I don't think you could get a lower one and it's not too low!
    John image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  19. DJK

DJK

tonyidle
    Why would it be unstable if it was lower Tony. Don't understand the statement.
    With regards to quality of build my trailers are built to a high standard and would pass any test.
    With regards to makers plate and year of build no one could prove otherwise that the plate was not authentic
    VW have been conning us for years with regards to fuel consumption but then again so have all the car manufacturers