Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
I want to tow a bike trailer with a large bike (Harley Tourer) in it. Ideally I need the trailer to be covered.
Has anyone any suggestions re trailer type please.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
indespension, ifor williams or brendrup are all excellent quality. have owned box trailers from them all with no issues over many thousands of miles

steer clear of the cheap no name trailers sold for under a grand on ebay etc. you really do get what you pay for. i know of several people who bought cheapies and regretted it when they leaked, fell to bits or towed very badly damaging the contents

the only downsides of buying a decent trailer are the lack of available second hand ones and the speed they get stolen without a wheelclamp etc. on the plus side, they tow well, build quality is superb, warrantys are excellent, parts are easy to source and if you no longer need it, you can get a good price selling it on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Recently had an A frame fitted at Armitage trailers near Leeds, they appear to do trailers for all occassions, look them up on line.

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Have a look at this. I dont know if they have a UK agent.

Link Removed

Mel

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I looked at trailers 18 months ago and was amazed at the new & used prices for anthing decent, I called Conway trailers and they made me a 7 foot long interior body one with a roller shutter, 750kg unbraked for just over ÂŁ1k delivered, its been brilliant, I am going to get a scooter at sometime and then I will bolt a bike stand through the floor and secured to the chassis.

Dave

Attachments

• conway.jpg
    conway.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I use a Williams for our BMW GSA, brilliant trailer but not cheap. 2nd hand they get snapped up
I have an FLHT I was thinking about pulling to Normandy next year.
Rather than buying one I was looking at hiring for the week.
Now I've seen what Conway can do though I might ask them for a quote.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I looked at trailers 18 months ago and was amazed at the new & used prices for anthing decent, I called Conway trailers and they made me a 7 foot long interior body one with a roller shutter, 750kg unbraked for just over ÂŁ1k delivered, its been brilliant, I am going to get a scooter at sometime and then I will bolt a bike stand through the floor and secured to the chassis.

Dave

Have a look at these. It is not even necessary to bolt it to the floor if you use the sub-plates. Have a look through the whole range before you make a yes or no decision. I have ordered one for my trailer with the sub-plates and rubber feet.
www.bumpstop.co.uk

The biggest bike I have is a Triumph Tiger 800 and the smallest is a Honda NS400R. The one stand will do for both bikes as I can only get one bike at a time in my trailer. The trailer was specially made for me, but unfortunately the manufacturer has since gone bust. It was Richardson Rice who were based just outside of York.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This is the set-up I use. It is an Excalibur trailer from Germany. They're not cheap but are a fantastic piece of kit. Not only do I take the bike (Goldwing) in it but also the awning and any other gear I want. I can also get the BMW outfit shown in my avatar in it and I have had Merilyn's Smart car in it as well at a push (not at the same time as the bike).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I want to tow a bike trailer with a large bike (Harley Tourer) in it. Ideally I need the trailer to be covered.
Has anyone any suggestions re trailer type please.

Be careful that the trailer you choose has not got too steep a ramp,2 reasons firstly getting the bike up and down the ramp, and if it is too steep the Harley has quite low ground clearance and can bottom out.I speak from experience.I use one of these now for ease of use.
Link Removed

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be careful that the trailer you choose has not got too steep a ramp,2 reasons firstly getting the bike up and down the ramp, and if it is too steep the Harley has quite low ground clearance and can bottom out.I speak from experience.I use one of these now for ease of use.
Link Removed

to reduce the loading and breakover angle, disconnect the trailer from the towbar and wind the jockey wheel down so raising the front and dropping the rear. that way you dont need to carry such long ramps or need a huge space to load in

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back