Towing a 5er...Whats do I need?? (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Am now seriously looking at shipping a 5er from USA. Can anyone tell me exactly what is needed to be fitted onto the pickup to tow a USA 5er please.

I know I need a sliding hitch as mine only has a short bed but what else is needed. Im sure there is some sort of braking system needed that controls the electric brakes on the 5er??

How about lights etc?? Do I need to get a charging relay like they use on caravans to charge the 5er batteries whilst towing??

I know all about the need for a hand brake etc and will sort that out when (and if!!!) i get one shipped!!

Thanks as always :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dazzer, is it really worth bringing one in ? there is very often lots on ebay.
as for your questions i think the brakes hook into your brake light switches ,as for powering the leisure battery is your truck 12v or 24v?
you could either use a caravan relay or just take a live to the trailer battery and disconect when parked .i did this for years. if 24 v get a durite 24to 12v charger and i use 1 x 12v battery in my truck then live out to trailer.
earthing negatives in truck -trailer.
best luck hope you get a good one.
cheers alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
very interesting .mine uses air .i have seen a system fitted by lynton i believe that takes brake light power to a big selonoid that pulls or pushes the cables for the brakes.
i know lynton is uk ,hope you dont mind me compareing the systems.
never worked on the yank systems . cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi roger ,last year at malvern there was a guy with just the thing it was based around a nintendo gismo. very neat worked fine .think there may have been comment on here somewhere. but for regular use on same car bit of bowden cable to pedal set up works fine.easily fixed repaired as come on we know we dont need brakes on it if you drive steady anyway.specialy behind a large m,home .we used to tow anything on our,s for recovery never thought about weight brakes just hurry up another one waiting.
but good thought not to be knocked if its price is ok. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
the brake controller is connected to stop light circuit on truck, it is very easy to fit and has a cable run to a socket at back (I use a standard UK (acc,) towing socket with the matching plug fitted to the trailer)
The charge is through the 'ign. live' pin. ---again with a std. uk towing socket (so you can tow an English trailer with the same socket.
Now is not a good time to buy in US, I know ----we are next month !!!!!!!!!!!
Find what you fancy on the net, then talk to Paul at Cross Country UK, He will do as little, or as much, as you wish.
Nigel.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Dazzer
i would look into wether your pick up is suitable for towing a 5er ,i asume its the stepside F150 that you have.
I dont recall seeing a 1/2 ton truck towing any 5ers in the states and yours is more for leisure than a workhorse

Ian

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Dazzer
I think that the only weight issue you need to watch is the 'pin' weight---I wouldn't think the 'train weight' will be a problem for your truck------if a Navara etc. can pull a 5er ???
They can technically carry 1 ton though (on the bed)
Nigel

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its only a baby 5er we are after (23 feet long) The pickup can tow just short of 4 tonnes :Eeek: but a 23ft 5er only has a pin weight of less than 350kgs so we are well within its capability. :thumb:

Your right about not a good time to buy though :Doh: the exchange rate is crap and the shipping on 5ers is more than a motorhome (not sure how they work that out, if anyone can spread some light on that id be interested to know why :whatthe:)

It depends what takes out fancy when we get there, i still fancy a B or B+ but our budget if pretty limited which restricts what we can afford :Sad:

Thanks for the info though, very helpful stuff :thumb:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Dazzer
i would look into wether your pick up is suitable for towing a 5er ,i asume its the stepside F150 that you have.
I dont recall seeing a 1/2 ton truck towing any 5ers in the states and yours is more for leisure than a workhorse

Ian

Its an F150 Lightning standard cab flareside. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dazzer ,dont forget the width .cant remember if yours is 3.5 or over.
keep smiling .cheers alan.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dazzer are you using a euro pickup or your baby? if you will be using a uk one dont go for a slider unit, they are too heavy and big for our pickups

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Dazzer are you using a euro pickup or your baby? if you will be using a uk one dont go for a slider unit, they are too heavy and big for our pickups

Use a Euro pickup to tow a 5er :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dont be silly, its like using a tack hammer to drive in a 6" nail. :Doh:

Proper tool for the job, ill be using the Lightning :thumb: :winky:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Dazzer
AFAIK the import duty is less on a 5er, but they are SLIGHTLY more difficult to move around as they have to use the shunter unit that they use for container type trailers around the docks and ship.
Have you found 'RV wholesalers' ?:thumb:
When and where are you going ??
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back