Towed car or a scooter? - advice please. (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just curious brian......why carry a trail bike over the rail tracks ?

Bank was about six foot high shale. We rode along it half way up for a good while because the ground below was unsuitable then to get over was a bit tricky to say the least. This was 10 years ago so fine detail a bit vague now.

At one stage we went over a derelict bridge. First lay the bikes down and slide under the barriers. then ease them over this decaying concrete bridge with gaping holes and a good 100 foot drop to a river below. Half way across we looked over the side and saw a rattlesnake in a nest.

One awesome job.

The guy is still dead keen at 65. He's just invited me to join him on his new annual fun trip, dirt bikes down Baja with full van backup and good hotels. Only $3000 he said, you'll hardly need any money apart from that. Yeh - right.

G

Guy

Deleted User
A bit late getting into this one, but here we go - I will be fitting Towbar/Rack/Scooter to a Bessacar E560 - Weights and calcs seem to pan out ok. Now for the confusing part - Contacted Swift who advised that 80kg was max vertical load that could be applied to - the specialy reinforced for towing - ALKO extension. Swift market a TowBar along with many others so lets estimate 35kg for this. I can now put 45kg vertical load onto the alko chassis. Assuming you tow a bike or a car how many people check the nose weight when loaded onto the towball? How many calculate the dynamic vertical accelaerations through the tow ball during driving and braking - I guess absolutely nobody. When you go to the weighbridge driver and passenger sit in their respective front seats, so assuming fully laden you have rear axle at max load should you now remove the towed or carried transport before shifting 200kg of flesh, from the Front to the Back when you go to bed. Maybe the solution is to fit two fresh water tanks, one front and one rear with a transfer pump ??!!!!
If you are travelling in Black Forest region in May this year and find a Piaggio libert attached to a rack attached to the ball half of a towball, then it coçuld be mine. Have fun whatever you do. Cheers!:ROFLMAO:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
We carry a Piagio ZIP 50 in the garage.................. mrs ips and I were very technical, before purchasing the scoot we checked if the garage would take the weight by getting in there and jumping up and down etc, suspension on ours is very stiff and we couldnt move it with our combined weight of *** stone. ::bigsmile:
Surely if its built with a garage then it must be made to take a little scooter.. anyway we have never had a problem with handling or the suspension :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Greentub, I know you say you're 'pretty convinced' you need to tow either a car or scooter/motorcycle but I can't help but wonder whether you should first try out your motorhome without any additional vehicle.

Like everyone, we were new to motorhoming once (not so long ago as it happens) and thought we'd find a larger vehicle to be limiting in terms of generally getting around and, in particular, parking.

In practice, we've found both these things to be far less restricting than we'd imagined. We've been down narrow tracks in Devon and Cornwall without any bother, never been unable to park within walking distance of where we've been trying to visit, and always relished the convenience of having everything with us while doing so.

Once you cast off the motorhome in favour of a car/scooter you obviously gain some extra freedom of movement, but you also lose rather a lot: ie, a kitchen for a quick brew or snack during your travels, a comfortable place to sit or rest should the mood so take you and - never under-estimate this one - a toilet/washroom that's all yours.

In the early days of our move across from caravanning, one of us would often say 'bother, I've forgotten such and such' while out and about away from the site - without realising that we hadn't left it behind at all as everything comes with you.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from towing, just suggesting that you may like to try without for a while to see how you get on. Hope you have loads of fun with your new motorhome whatever you decide.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Have to disagree with the last poster. Parking a MH (ours is 7.5 metres though) near where you want to be is a complete pain in the backside. Having just done Devon and Cornwall and the Isle of Wight (loads of width restrictions) its very difficult and causes a nuisance to other car drivers taking a van down little lanes. The big plus of a scooter is that if you want to visit a town you can park up to 10 miles away on a CL or wildspot somewhere away from the premier (and more expensive spots) and just bike in. You see so much more with a bike. Little lanes and hide away places are no longer a problem.

Personally. I wouldnt have a MH without a bike. Too much hassle.

OP
OP
GREENTUB

GREENTUB

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Novice
HI Mikemoss

Very many thanks for your thought out perspective. My original post asked for advice and I'm delighted at the number of replies and the scope of the advice offered. By default I think we will end up testing out your suggestion of trying the lifestyle without alternative transport as we live in Yorkshire but for a number of reasons, not least financial, we've purchased our Motorhome from West Country Motorhomes. We intend to womble around the south west for a while after pick-up to test out all the systems whilst in range of the dealership. One of the reasons I'm semi-convinced about the need for additional transport is that we've just retired from 15 years of yacht cruising and one of my frustrations has always been that I would have liked to be able to travel beyond where we were anchored/berthed without cutting the lines or pulling up the anchor each time and, dare I say it, losing our ideal spot to another cruiser. I'm guessing, lines and anchors aside, the same scenario exists in motorhoming - park your home, go exploring for the day and then return to your shangrila. I trust in a years time I'll be able to add my perspective to the next novice with the same question. Very many thanks for your input which I will add to the mix. Cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Greentub, I know you say you're 'pretty convinced' you need to tow either a car or scooter/motorcycle but I can't help but wonder whether you should first try out your motorhome without any additional vehicle.

Like everyone, we were new to motorhoming once (not so long ago as it happens) and thought we'd find a larger vehicle to be limiting in terms of generally getting around and, in particular, parking.

In practice, we've found both these things to be far less restricting than we'd imagined. We've been down narrow tracks in Devon and Cornwall without any bother, never been unable to park within walking distance of where we've been trying to visit, and always relished the convenience of having everything with us while doing so.

Once you cast off the motorhome in favour of a car/scooter you obviously gain some extra freedom of movement, but you also lose rather a lot: ie, a kitchen for a quick brew or snack during your travels, a comfortable place to sit or rest should the mood so take you and - never under-estimate this one - a toilet/washroom that's all yours.

In the early days of our move across from caravanning, one of us would often say 'bother, I've forgotten such and such' while out and about away from the site - without realising that we hadn't left it behind at all as everything comes with you.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from towing, just suggesting that you may like to try without for a while to see how you get on. Hope you have loads of fun with your new motorhome whatever you decide.

fine and dandy if you move on to a new place/site each day but if you plan on staying put for a day or three its a pain having to stow everything away, wind in the awning, unhook the hookup lead and stow it away if you want to go sightseeing or run out of gas/milk/beer/wine(delete as appropriate) when the site shop is closed and want to go for fresh supplies.

Last edited:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
fine and dandy if you move on to a new place/site each day but if you plan on staying put for a day or three its a pain having to stow everything away, wind in the awning, unhook the hookup lead and stow it away if you want to go sightseeing or run out of gas/milk/beer/wine(delete as appropriate) when the site shop is closed and want to go for fresh supplies.

Don't you just hate it when someone says they don't want to do something and then promptly goes and does it? Well, I don't want to hijack this thread but....I have to come clean and confess I'm firmly in the cart before the horse category when it comes to towing with a motorhome.

A little forward thinking covers most of those 'damn it I forgot' moments, and a more imaginative approach to parking usually gets around any problems in that direction too. Obviously multi-storey car parks are out, but if an open air car park holds no promise we look for coach/lorry parks, while supermarket and sports centre car parks are another good hunting ground. At 7.2m long we need two spaces, but paying for these is a small price for the extra convenience. Also, five years of living in Bath city centre honed my parallel parking skills and we've often been able to find suitable on-street parking.

As for narrow roads, well obviously if a road really is 6ft 6ins wide then we can't fit down at 7ft 2ins wide. But if a bus or milk lorry can fit, then any motorhome other than an outrageously large US RV clearly can too.

There again, there's the dubious legality of towing on an A frame (sorry, I shouldn't have set that ball rolling).

As for packing up ready for the off each day, we've adopted the 'use it then pack it' approach so that the final stowing takes only 5 to 10 minutes at the most.

In short, we've found it perfectly feasible to get around the perceived shortcomings of a motorhome in terms of parking and access and find the joys of stopping for a brew or lunch overlooking some delightful view far outweigh any minor inconveniences. And, yes, we've toured extensively in the far South West and on the Isle of Wight without any problems.

To be really honest, if we didn't tour with a lively Border Collie then a couple of bikes on a bike rack (or a scooter similarly attached) would certainly come in handy. But not towing.

I've said my piece so I'll shut up now and go away!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I would really like to have a toad but we get by very nicely without one so there's no justification.

Jim

:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Here is some evidence as to why a bike can be useful as well as fun.

The CL we are on right now has a good 6 inches of snow, maybe more as a couple of fresh inches came down last night. The field is almost flat but rises up to the gate and a car struggled to get out this morning.

Its 3 miles to Stratford upon Avon and the road outside is clear of snow.

Can you guess which one of these will actually make it out of the CL?

Link Removed

I rest my case.

Wouldnt dream of towing but wacking that little bike on the back is the best thing I ever did. On our summer trip we did over 1500 miles just on the bike.

Yep its a bit cold and we did fall off in the snow on a CL the other day but its all part of the fun for us. When its shorts and T shirts weather there is nothing better IMHO.

BD

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
TBA I have never ever given any thought to a scooter. I had a real bad experience with a motorbike when I was a youngster and have never been near one since, terrified of them.

But a scooter seems a litttle more friendly. Where would we put the dog though ?

Jim

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
TBA I have never ever given any thought to a scooter. I had a real bad experience with a motorbike when I was a youngster and have never been near one since, terrified of them.

But a scooter seems a litttle more friendly. Where would we put the dog though ?

Jim

There not everyones cup of tea and of course you need a full bike licence go two up. Ive always loved bikes so to me its not just transport its great fun. Flying through the French Alps or down the med coast on a hot sunny July day cant be beaten.

Not sure about the dog but I have seen them sat on the riders knee with paws on the handle bars!

Cheers
BD

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There not everyones cup of tea and of course you need a full bike licence go two up. Ive always loved bikes so to me its not just transport its great fun. Flying through the French Alps or down the med coast on a hot sunny July day cant be beaten.

Not sure about the dog but I have seen them sat on the riders knee with paws on the handle bars!

Cheers
BD

Got a photo we took back in May in Yellowstone park Wyoming of a Harley with a trailer on the back the trailer which 2 dogs travelled in.
Pics not great as it was snowing that day and RV screen dirty

Attachments

• USA09WyomingKansas 007.jpg
    USA09WyomingKansas 007.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 17

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Bikes,would,nt leave home without them. Though I would love a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler.

Attachments

• usb 003.jpg
    usb 003.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 19
  • usb 004.jpg
    usb 004.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
G

Guy

Deleted User
Interesting how a simple request for advise can expand into full debate about road width vs van width and dogs etc.
These forums can be very interesting and give some great laughs, but towing or carrying, car or scooter, its easy, make your own choice and go with it. Otherwise buy a caravan, join a club and then spend all day checking that the paint spec on the inside edge of your satbilisers is better than your neighbours.:Doh:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're the same taken ours everywhere we go and hire when we're in the states, we also hired a BMW 1200 GS and spent 5 weeks touring Thailand, Burma & a bit of Cambodia:thumb:

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Augusta 006.jpg
    Augusta 006.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 16

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
of course you need a full bike licence go two up.

Thats not strictly correct
If you have a car licence and passed your test before 1997 (I think thats the correct date) you can carry a pillion and ride without L plates on a 50cc.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Interesting how a simple request for advise can expand into full debate about road width vs van width and dogs etc.
These forums can be very interesting and give some great laughs, but towing or carrying, car or scooter, its easy, make your own choice and go with it. Otherwise buy a caravan, join a club and then spend all day checking that the paint spec on the inside edge of your satbilisers is better than your neighbours.:Doh:

I see your in a good mood today. Why is it that people who claim to be engineers are always grumpy.

Jim

:winky:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thats not strictly correct
If you have a car licence and passed your test before 1997 (I think thats the correct date) you can carry a pillion and ride without L plates on a 50cc.

I wasnt aware of that thanks for pointing it out. Only issue is two up on a 50cc is ok for popping down the shops a few miles but a 50 mile trip with 20% inclines and keeping up with traffic at a safe speed. No good. Still a good option though and ideal if you want to just park out of town get the bike off and tootle around on that.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I wasnt aware of that thanks for pointing it out. Only issue is two up on a 50cc is ok for popping down the shops a few miles but a 50 mile trip with 20% inclines and keeping up with traffic at a safe speed. No good. Still a good option though and ideal if you want to just park out of town get the bike off and tootle around on that.

yes you are correct but if you have it de-restricted it will do 40+mph 2 up, it does struggle a bit up steep inclines but hey ho I'm on my jollies so there's no rush ::bigsmile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I think I would struggle being 18st on a slim day on a 50cc! Mrs D makes up for it by being just 8st but couple that with a big hill and a load of shopping and somebodys getting off to push! With the 100cc we havent yet found a hill that completly ground us to a halt but I remember one long haul in the Alps when we got down to about 20 mph and wondered if we were either going to stop or break something!

Been out most of the day on the bike around Stratford and Warwick and after being back about 2 hours, Im only just starting to feel warm!

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Been out most of the day on the bike around Stratford and Warwick and after being back about 2 hours, Im only just starting to feel warm!

Your brave in this weather :roflmto:

mrs ips and I weigh a combined 23stone (not saying what the ratio is) and have only had one hairy moment on a hill and that was on the way out of Kirby stevens enroute to wensleydale prob down to about 5mph at the top. Engine smelled somewhat warm ::bigsmile:
Did 50miles all round Wensleydale and had a picnic in the middle of no were, great fun. It takes me back to my biking days in the early 80s except I have no long hair or beard anymore and am considerably tidyer dressed than I was.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Went up to Tan Hill in the Spring on ours. We dont live that far away between Barnard Castle and Richmond. Great place for biking!

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Went up to Tan Hill in the Spring on ours. We dont live that far away between Barnard Castle and Richmond. Great place for biking!

Indeed it is barry, however even as an ex "propper" biker I have to say that Hawes has been ruined by the ammount of "motorcyclists" that attend on a sunday.

We had fun parking our little scoot in a village near gunnerside (may have been Muker) a few months ago. Mrs ips was riding at the time and she rode us right in the middle of about a hundred bikers and parked up. Then we locked it up and walked off for a tea. It was classic.
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back