Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Have I got this right

If your van was built since 2012 and you wanted to fit a tow bar to tow trailer etc. it has to be type approved for your van

But if you where not intending to use the bar for towing but for bike rack , scooter rack or as a rear protection bar then the bar does not have to be type approved

Cheers Paul

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Yes Paul but if you have a scooter/bike rack already who will fabricate an attachment?

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Yes Paul but if you have a scooter/bike rack already who will fabricate an attachment?
No I don't have a scooter rack.
What I'm think is , I've got a new Bailey 79-4 on order and I was think of getting a Fiamma bike rack (£180) , but then I thought about getting a tow bar fitted (non type approved over half the price at £360 of type approved bar) and use this as a protection bumper for the rear and fit my witter tow bar bike rack.
I have no intention of towing any trailers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would expect that if it can have a tow ball fitted then it has to comply - so no. The next owner might unwittingly want to tow.
Having said that my 2012 tow bar/scooter rack is not strictly legal, but I know it is way stronger (and heavier) than any bought ones.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Alex that is what I want not interested in a towing towbar just a scooter rack

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I made my Nudge bar out of stainless steel 80 / 40 box with 80 / 8 mm strips bolted through the chassis legs with SS bolts .
Cost me £80
Previous one cost £30 made from mild steel .

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
That is exactly what I'm after but for bikes and it gives you some protection at the rear

I'm looking at using Motorhome Towbars Lancashire in Freckleton , he has quoted £360 non type approved & £570 type approved. It
I'm the same I want some protection on the rear and a bike rack
I got quote from Motorhome Towbar Lancashire £360 non type approved or £570 type approved

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Do they tell you what the difference is between TA and nonTA ? £210 is a lot of money for a sticker, when you consider the mounting points will be in the same place for either and it's doubtfull there'll be that much between the two designs. I wonder if the TA one is an off the shelf unit and the nonTA is a copy of it that they make themselves ?

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Getting a towbar fitted at Freckleton on Monday, non eu. It for the bikes and a bit of protection. Not sure that many people could tell by just looking if it's legal or not.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
if not type approved then could fail MOT
Not if used for "carrying" only. If no ball attached then not a towbar
This is from a source on internet

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What if you had a rear end shunt and chassis gets distorted & insuranc accessor notices it is not approved insurance may not pay up.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Getting a towbar fitted at Freckleton on Monday, non eu. It for the bikes and a bit of protection. Not sure that many people could tell by just looking if it's legal or not.
Something I was looking for, how much did it cost
Thks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No I don't have a scooter rack.
What I'm think is , I've got a new Bailey 79-4 on order and I was think of getting a Fiamma bike rack (£180) , but then I thought about getting a tow bar fitted (non type approved over half the price at £360 of type approved bar) and use this as a protection bumper for the rear and fit my witter tow bar bike rack.
I have no intention of towing any trailers

If it has no weight plate/Type approval sticker it won't be legal .

That is exactly what I'm after but for bikes and it gives you some protection at the rear

I'm looking at using Motorhome Towbars Lancashire in Freckleton , he has quoted £360 non type approved & £570 type approved. It

I'm the same I want some protection on the rear and a bike rack
I got quote from Motorhome Towbar Lancashire £360 non type approved or £570 type approved
I can't even believe that a decent business would even offer to Make & fit an illegal towbar ? They obviously don't know the law?
For 200 quid it isn't even worth thinking about.

If it hasn't a sticker/plate then anyone with half a brain will know & in an accident the assessor will be looking for a get out.

if not type approved then could fail MOT
Yes.

Not if used for "carrying" only. If no ball attached then not a towbar
This is from a source on internet
No load of *******s. Post 2012 a towbar, whether used for towing or just as a bump stop & whether a ball is fitted or not has to comply with the regulations. It is a tow bar ,regardless of whether it will ever be used to tow & has to comply with the approved testing regime .

Here are the requirements.

& just because you are going to tow with it ,it doesn't mean the next person isn't & if you don't remove it & they tow with it & it parts company the comeback will be on who fitted the non-approved item.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/type_approved_motorhome_towbars.html

See the bit about 2012 + vehicles and non-approved brackets

If used for carrying (bikes, scooters etc.) then totally legal to have fitted and as such NOT part of the MOT inspection BUT you can not tow a trailer.

As far as using it as protection it is a bumper I would have thought insurance would like it as it would reduce damage. If you where hit hard enough to bend chassis then without protection bar the damage would be just as substantial

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
£360.00, bit concerned about the comments regarding passing MOT. Need to check with my garage first thing Monday.
I have used Mike before on my last van did a very good job, in fact it was around the time type approval came in and I went for the cheaper option, however I understand your concerns regarding type approval and the implications if anything goes wrong

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/type_approved_motorhome_towbars.html

See the bit about 2012 + vehicles and non-approved brackets

If used for carrying (bikes, scooters etc.) then totally legal to have fitted and as such NOT part of the MOT inspection BUT you can not tow a trailer.

As far as using it as protection it is a bumper I would have thought insurance would like it as it would reduce damage. If you where hit hard enough to bend chassis then without protection bar the damage would be just as substantial

That's absolutely ludicrous. As soon as the non-approved bar leaves the UK it becomes illegal as it is the compliance with the europe wide regs that is the requirement. Which is why it was brought in.
The Gendarme or Trafico officer just sees a towbar without type approval on a vehicle after the date at which it was required to have one.

If you look on the witter link re; cars which have had to have them since 1998 , it states that if you are buying a vehicle with a non -approved bar then insist it is removed & changed for an approved one & any resistance report to trading standards.
You cannot have "different " types of tow hitch. That is why the law was introduced . To standardis & ensure that all complied to the same standard regardless of where purchased.
If I see a tow hitch I will attach a trailer. That is what they are for.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Has anyone ever been stopped for having the wrong towbar, or had a vehicle fail it's mot because Of it?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Has anyone ever been stopped for having the wrong towbar, or had a vehicle fail it's mot because Of it?
Probably no, just like being overweight very rare and unlucky if you do
Unless involved In an accident

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
It's definitely acceptable to have a none type approved towbar fitted for carrying only. Many of you will have an Aygo/C1/Peugeot 108 for use as a Toad and be aware that it isn't permitted to tow but Westfalia, a German towbar manufacturer for many car manufacturers, list a none type approved 'towbar' for it. See fitting instructions here. Brink list some none towing towbars too, but weld a small piece of steel on top of the ball to prevent towing yet permit Thule bike racks to be used.
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
It's definitely acceptable to have a none type approved towbar fitted for carrying only. Many of you will have an Aygo/C1/Peugeot 108 for use as a Toad and be aware that it isn't permitted to tow but Westfalia, a German towbar manufacturer for many car manufacturers, list a none type approved 'towbar' for it. See fitting instructions here. Brink list some none towing towbars too, but weld a small piece of steel on top of the ball to prevent towing yet permit Thule bike racks to be used.
maxresdefault.jpg
Thank you factual rather than opinion

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I always have to smile when people post asking for advice but have already decided that they will only listen if the advice given is what they want to hear. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I asked if my understanding of the law was correct. I had spoken to two fitters and they told me the same but you always want to challenge it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
maxresdefault.jpg
Yes & as soon as it is fitted the whole vehicle becomes illegal as you have breached the Certificate of Conformity relating to the vehicle.i.e. The vehicle has no certified & tested manufacturers fixings. Whilst the Germans might look at it logically, in all honesty seeing what most car aficionados have to put up with on the German TüV , I'd be surprised if it would get through.
If it looks like a tow bar it is a tow bar.
That small piece of steel wouldn't even be noticed if someone was requiring the use of the hitch to throw a wire rope or strop over to yank someone out of a ditch.

I asked if my understanding of the law was correct. I had spoken to two fitters and they told me the same but you always want to challenge it

They have a vested interest in selling you something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back