Towbar fitting to Hymer and Pilotes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, May 24, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Does anybody know how they fit the towbar frame to the rear ends with the double floor made of fibreglass. I cannot see how they can fit a bar unless there is a very long outrigger system going all the way to the main chassis which would be horrendously heavy. I have not seen a factory fit on either the Hymer nor the Pilote models that are like this. The Hymer is a flat sheet of glass reinforced with two box section of the same with no apparent steel unless it is all inside the box floor. Are there attachments under the floor between the floor and underfloor that do not show from the outside. The factory supply them fitted but I have never seen what they are like. Anyone got a factory fit bar on their ML-T or ML-I, who can describe how it goes under the floor and where it actually bolts up. Custom towbar makers are all fighting shy of this as they do not know either until they get to see one in the flesh.

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I got Watling of St Albans to fit mine. There is a type approved chassis extension kit which bolts to the witter tow bar. Fits nicely and Watling are towbar experts

• Like Like x 1
  3. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

So does it not get attached to the back of the van and goes 1.3 metres to the front and the chassis member with no support from the body at all?

4. DuxDeluxe

Self supporting and alongside the lightweight extension that supports the back of the van. It bolts on. If I wasn't in hospital then I could take a photo and show you

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We have just collected our T-668 SL which has a double floor and factory fitted towbar.

I'm not sure how it's fitted but it is made by Al-Ko as is the chassis.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

The Mercedes has a different floor from the ALKO You cannot actually see what is in there but I think two lightweight floor supports only, these are boxed over with the underfloor. The factory bar cost £1200 at ordering but the bits are twice that as aftermarket parts only with no fitting charges.

7. tjay

tjay Funster

Mike parkinson in Freckleton near Preston fits tow bars to Pilote's and Hymers for local dealership. call him on mobile 07887 997653 for further info/advise. Have used him many times, very reasonable !!

8. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

Mick Parkinson as mentioned above WILL fit and he knows his stuff, unlike nearly all other fitters he is 100% working with motorhome towbars and does nothing else.

Not an ML I but my brother recently bought a new Rimor with garage and no chassis showing under garage, Mick fitted system for around £500.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

10. haddy

haddy Funster

This guy made me a tow bar for my hymer he's good & cheap he had it fitted in two hrs (y)

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Bespoke and Special Design Towbars

60 years of fitting towbars to Motorhomes has taught us that many cannot conform to a standard design of towbar. There are simply too many different variations of chassis, extensions, coachbuilders, corner steadies, water tanks, battery boxes and other paraphernalia to engineer around. As a result, we offer a bespoke design and fit service where individual variations can be taken into account. By doing this we treat each motorhome as the individual it is and can also adapt the towbar to the customers needs.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_towbars_special_designs.html

• Like Like x 1
  12. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Am I right or wrong in saying that "since 2012 ALL Towbars fitted should have type approval specifically to the vehicle it's being fitted to". If not then your MH insurance could be affected.
    Colin

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It is the approval bit that clouds the water, Who approves what and where. Every vehicle is different when it come to fitment, if it is custom made where do you go to get approval and how many thousands of Euro does it cost? As far as I can make out it is actually the TOWBAR and the extensions etc are not,. just the actual bar and ball. Some consumer items on sale carry an approval note signed by the boss of the company saying it meets the regulations and therefore is approved???????????? WTF.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Speve

Speve Funster

@GWAYGWAY I had our Hymer Exsis fitted with one at home it is type approved and the guy that did it came from Bournmouth.
    Here are his contact details he is very thorough and knowledgeable.
    The Towbar Company
    Gary -07778 343464
    mail@thetowbar.co.uk

15. DuxDeluxe

As far as I can tell, that is correct. However, we did have to get the (Al-Ko ones I think) chassis extensions "off the shelf" purely from a strength and ease of fitting point of view - they just bolted on

16. CeeJay13

CeeJay13 Read Only Funster

For the 'standard' Fiat X290 Chassis, Watling fitted similar to these (or maybe even these). They cut them to length, price is the same whatever - we needed only ~300mm on our Pilote G600 about 6weeks ago. (same for X250)

17. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Whilst climbing under the new van I noticed that there are TWO big steel plates attached to the chassis just to the rear of the Spring hangers. They are really beefy and there are witness marks for washers still on them and I was wondering if it had come from the Hymer factory with a towbar on and it was taken off before they sold it to me, I must phone the stores and find out if they have the bits and if they would sell them to me. I cannot think what else the brackets could possibly do they are about 5/16 thick and bolted to the Mercedes chassis with some hefty bolts. What I would like is a couple of photos as to what the genuine factory bit are like.