Towbar bike rack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

My 2 girls have mastered the art of cycling so its time to look at a bike rack.There is one fixed to the rear of the van but I'm not sure it's good for the van to have 4 bikes near on 60 kg hanging off it.
    As I've got a towbar on the car it could be used on that too.From what I can see there are 2 types,the lower level one with built in tail board and lights,which the bikes stand on and the v shaped ones with the 2 arms that the bikes hang off.
    Are the v type ones meant to be used on cars with supporting straps back to the boot area,or can they be used on mhs ?
    Any thoughts on the best type or experiences good or bad.

Vlad

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have a Thule one complete with tail board. I'm sure the V shaped ones require straps although couldn't be certain. The tow ball mounted THULE one is ace.

Having had a bike rack come off the van smashing the back window, I feel more happy with a tow ball one :thumb:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Four bikes on the back off an Autotrail at max 60kg should be ok especially if two of them are childrens bikes. If in doubt give Glenn a call and ask him. 01-580-881288

(Providing the rack is a Fiamma and properly installed)

Peter

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thanks Peter the rack is a Fiamma and rated to 60 kg however there are only 2 channels to take the wheels,can you fit 2 more or just lash the bikes together ?

Vlad

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

fiamma do an extension kit to add a third and fourth bike rail and clamps. otherwise the towbar mounted racks are excellent and as you say can be moved to your car if needed. we used to carry 2 bikes and a wheelchair on a towbar mounted rack for many thousands of miles without incident.

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Yes you can add two more rails and blockers to make it a four biker, just give the shop staff a ring on 01-580-883062 and they will take an order and ship them to you by courier, don't forget to tell them you are a Funster with 10% discount:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

I use both, Thule for two bikes on the ball and two on the Fiamma rack.

Van came with a two bike rack and was concerned at adding extensions and additional weight. Towball is designed to take noseweight plus a great deal of dynamic force, not so sure my van wall is and would be hugely expensive to repair not only if I overstressed it but also the slightest nudge of the rack against something solid could cause massive damage.

I have far greater confidence in the structural integraty of the Thule mounted on the ball than the Fiamma hanging on my less substancial sidewalls :Smile:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013