Towball fitting bike rack.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Trikeman, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    anyone using a towball fitting bike rack, as in clamps onto the actual ball. The Autotrail doesn't have a bike rack fitted and I prefer it like this, plus I don't want to start drilling etc - but do want to take the bikes, 2 total.

Any photos of yours fitted would be a benefit and what type/make have you - security? recommendations?

Thanks,

Trikeman. :Wink:

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I used to have one made by Whitter. Unfortunately I have only recently given it away. It was a clamp that fitted between the towball and a pole fitted into this with a 2 bike rack on the top. I got it off the bay and it was very good. Not expensive either.

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi don't think I have any photos handy in detail.

I use a Thule one and its ace. I have a swan neck towball and a swift towbar fitted. I find that clamped on it doesn't move at all. It is locked to the towing frame using a heavy duty lock.
    I then re-designed a Fiama bike rack cover so it basically goes upside down on the bikes ensuring that they are covered from any road grime.

4. neilydun

neilydun Read Only Funster

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

6. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

I use one to carry an old bakers bike to rallies. The bike is quite heavy. The rack is easy to put on, just hook over tow ball and screw on with spanner. works fine. The rack is made by thule . I do have a pic somewhere so if nobody else comes up with the same I will endeavour :Doh: to work out how to get it up on here :Smile: If all else fails i will put it in my album i can manage that:thumb:

7. Brooksey

Brooksey Read Only Funster

+1 for Thule very pleased with ours ...

8. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I bought the Thule one that fits onto the towball while in Spain, only used it once and it's in the garage now. Don't really need it so I could do with selling it, may put it on this site under accessories.

Mike

9. Trikeman

Hi, would have been interested in yours - however, Market Rasen is a little far to pick up - bummers.:Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

10. mojo

mojo Funster

I purchased from The Roof Box Company a German product -Altera Strada E-bike towball carrier.Sold as a top quality product I was happy with it until last week here in Spain I noticed cracks near the welding on the framework.Only 4 months old and carrying the correct weight ! The testing of the product probably does not take in to account the constant springing/bouncing/flexing/squeaking as the only support is from the towball during driving which must vary the weight and causing metal fatigue.I have had to bolt metal strips to the faulty section to take the strain.I will complain on our return in December.
    Therefore we think it is a good idea ,often seen on cars,but this is a problem you should bear in mind.I have also had to increase the towball height as it would have been a problem on ramps/ferries.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

We have the Thule rack which fits onto the tow bar and it is excellent:thumb: We bought the three bike version and have bought an extra rail for a fourth bike (we both have road and hybrid bikes and sometimes carry them all) :Eeek:

Haven't got any photos but will take some tomorrow if you can wait til then. Assuming I can upload them!! :Confused:

We have a motorcycle cover which will cover all four bikes. Will let you know name of that tomorrow as well.:Smile:

12. Trikeman

Hi All,
    many thanks for getting back with the advice and recommendations - some research on the cards here. I have read/heard some good things about the Thule brand. Just spent some time (ebay etc etc and John's Cross) all good stuff and most appear to fit my needs - we only need two bikes.

Keep them coming...... to the point of my total confusion.:Laughing:

Thanks,

13. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

ok pic now on my album please read comment tho as i had only just borrowed the rack off someone and wanted to show my hubby what it was like:Smile:

14. Trikeman

Wow - what a bike on that rack.

Great shot of the rack (as I was trying to imagine) but couldn't help looking at the bike - that's brilliant.:thumb:

I wanted a basket (I like to 'try' to take my staffy with me) tried to put a sort of converted basket on my mountain bike and plonked my dog in. It was hideous, he went mad as soon as I got going, barking his head off and jumping about, tried strangling himself and I had to pedal back with this lunatic going nuts..... needless to say that was the last basket attempt - I then bought a trailer and attached that to my road bike, then,,,,, and that's another story but we both ended up on our side.:Laughing: Mad, I tells ya!

Thanks again Hilary.

15. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Thought afterwards you prob would have liked a close up of the actual fitting but cant help on that i am afraid. Poor staffy bet he cringes when you get the bike out:Eeek: :Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. jools66

jools66 Read Only Funster

17. Janet

Janet Read Only Funster

I have purchased a Thule towball rack. The rack is for 2 electric bikes and is suitable up to 60kilo. Cannot fault it.
    Janet :thumb:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  18. mentaliss

mentaliss

Before you do anything try to get a view of the Thule range, they must surely be the best type ball fitting out there...not cheap but in this life you only get what you pay for:Cool:

19. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

Pics of Thule bike rack as promised. The cover we use is Stormex from Oxford. It's actually a motorbike cover but works pretty well.

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0323.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

Hope this is useful:thumb:

20. maison

maison Funster

Cycle rack - tow ball fitting

I use a Thule rack, bought from Halfords two years ago at £120.

Have traveled throughout Europe with rack fitted to Ford Mondeo. Travelled at up to 85mph on the right roads with absolutely no problems.

I carry two bikes on mine. One is an electric bike and is, therefore, heavy at 24 kilos. The other is a road bike at 10.5 kilos.

Have sold my car and caravan to return to motor caravanning after an absence of eight years and will transfer thebike rack to the tow bar on my motorhome.

I suggest you check with Halfords if they have a promotion coming up on bike racks. Mine was purchased at £35 off.

Good Luck.

Maison

• Like Like x 1