Tow cars. Why????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by andyjane59, Jun 15, 2010.

1. andyjane59

andyjane59 Read Only Funster

Can I please ask for enlightenment. I cannot understand why MH'ers tow a small car behind them. Why two vehicles with engines, MOT, insurance and tax when one engine etc and a caravan provides the same freedom to drive around. No offence intended.

2. GDH

GDH Read Only Funster

When we had a caravan we had a large car for every day use, needed the larger one for the towing. Now we have a MH we have a small car, we put ours on a trailer to take with us. So less road tax, and a lot less fuel to buy. Yes the MH did cost more than the caravan, but we do have a lot more for our money. And for us it is much more user friendly. :BigGrin:

3. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

MH, highly flexible item, use how you want, when you want, generally easier than tugging. Sometimes a car would be nice, and something fun/small will be easier to potter about in. Doing the tugging thing to the same level as the typical MH towing a car you'd be running a bigger (boring?) tow car so no fun.

Costs, the general sorts of figures I've seen for caravan insurance would easily cover tax and insurance for a typical toad (small) so not as much in my opinion of a cost extra, and bear in mind many use the toad as the general car so again, big tow car for tugging plus caravan insurance there probably isn't much in it at the end of the day.

We don't toad yet but we will, but just when we need and there is the beauty of the MH, nip of here and there as usual but add the car when needed, can't do that with a caravan, your escape is a fixed thing requiring a plan.

4. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Travelling in a motorhome is the best way in the world to travel. The second I pull out of my drive I am on holiday!

Travelling in a car long distances is horrible for me and my passengers. No TV no games, no cold drinks, no loo nothing! Also pratting around with steadies and water tanks and unloading all the stuff inside a caravan just to get lunch!

A small car on the back of the van is hardly noticable, and is no problem on the road. We only started towing once we bought a large dog which made cycling impractical. However we now wished that we had started years ago.

You could say why do you want to drive around in a motorhome when you could walk and use a tent?

What ever floats your boat! Don't try to understand it, embrace it:Wink:

Eddie

5. andyjane59

andyjane59 Read Only Funster

Thanks

I understand a little more now. Thanks Eddie I like yours the best.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

7. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

I prefer the caravan , wild camped all over europe for 30 years , occasional use of sites

liked having a decent car when I decided to stay somewhere

didn't mind a motorhome in n.america , lots of space so could have a decent sized one

but age overtook us and a small motorhome is easier but less comfortable ; much more expensive but no good saving for your old age when you have got there :cry:
    got to have a car at home as well of course

if you like to go somewhere and have a holiday staying on a site a caravan is VASTLY superior imho , if you like to keep moving [ like us ] a motorhome is easier

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

or have something likemine .foot in both camps.

9. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

We had to make a decision when we decided to move into the world of camping, we quickly excluded a tent, which then left us with the choice of either a Caravan or a Motorhome, we spoke to loads of people and we made the decision for a Motorhome based upon the understanding at the time that we would be more likely to only want to stay anywhere for 1 or 2 nights at anytime, and that decision held firm for the first 1/2 years.

But then it has gradually changed, we find ourselves favouring certain places and staying there for longer periods perhaps 7/10 days at a time, we have tried buses and they certainly do help but having a car is so handy hence the toad.

We did look at selling the Motorhome and buying a Caravan and bigger car but the loss in the change was quiet significant.

Hope that helps explain somewhat.

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

there is one huge difference in the UK, whilst you can wildcamp with a motorhome a caravan is not so easy. Caravans tend to be more flimsy, not so well insulated. no contest for me. I don't tow a car but have no objection to doing so. I have done and found it easy.

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Prefer my RV and all it offers in space and comfort and toad :thumb::thumb: to tugging any caravan :Eeek::Eeek:

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not comparing like for like, you would need to think 5th wheel.

13. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Nah. This is what you need.

[​IMG]

Bit draughty last winter though and Italian cities are not for the faint hearted.

Parked at the start of all good adventures. Can you guess where?

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if you get the right set up you can cary bikes in the back. 5ers are the way forward . specialy as people get older licencing laws make having the correct 5er set up much easier to keep as no medical would be neccasery. you can pull an enormous amount on b+e much more than ci+e. think about what i say .and you have the vehicle to run around.
    at the moment most rv,s or 5ers dont build the right layouts for me so thats why i built mine on the trailer i have.

15. ips

ips Read Only Funster

If it makes you feel any better I dont understand either.
    I'm with Barryd on this one, we have a scooter in the garage much less hassle than a car..........if you like scooters that is :BigGrin:

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Not keen Brian, with RV can still travel depending on event with just bikes on the back

17. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Yep you have to love bikes a bit I think. Very good at getting to little out of the way places though. I would like to see you chase Marmots at 6000ft up the Pyrenees on a 3ft wide track or park your toad outside Le Mont St Michel without paying! If you dont know what a Marmot is they live high up in the mountains and are a bit like a cross between a Beaver and a fat shaggy Squirrel.

They were everywhere up in the mountains and I snapped these two near Gavarnie whilst out on the bike

[​IMG]
    :BigGrin::BigGrin:

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

a 5er can usually get where an rv cant due to a 5er bending in the middle. think the euro /yank pick ups not quite so useful as truck version for this. i have bikes and car all the time.

19. 656

656 Read Only Funster

We have had our van for 4 years now, and have just got a Smart car and AFrame!!! The reason for this is, last year we went to France for a week and found it inconvenient to go everywhere in the van. French villages in the main ,have narrow streets and in some cases tight turns. The Smart will enable us to go where we want, when we want and give me a car to run around in when not using the van. The MPG difference is almost double between the van and Smart. I will report on out trip with the Smart when we get back but, I am sure things will be a lot easier with the Smart than without.

20. ips

ips Read Only Funster

There orrible little beggars arent they. :Rofl1: