tow car insurance

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by pkurzok, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pkurzok

pkurzok Read Only Funster

hi guys
    i am trying to get car insurance for 207 pug.
    the big problem i am having is getting longer than 90days green card as i am in europe for about 6 months at a time. can anyone recomend any one? :Smile:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, all motor policies taken out in uk cover you for all year with in the eu. it might be only the minimum but you are covered.
    if over 50 try saga . if not coop are good .

3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi. Not sure if I've missed something here - 90 days but cover for a year? Does this mean if you go over the water for up to 90 days you have same cover as in UK (i.e. fully comp. or 3rdP/F/theft) but if you exceed 90 days you only have 3rd party?

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes thats it . some willgive you full what ever you have here. but all insurance actually bought in eu countries must give a full term of eu cover be it only minimum in thbat country. there is an eu ruling but cant remember it off the top of my head .
    uk insurers very often try to deny it excists ,makes me mad .

5. sedge

sedge Funster

The main prob is, you only get the legal minimum cover for that country. Ot used to be called Road Traffic Act Only cover, in the UK. So it only covers the absolute minimum legal cover for whatever (mainly EU) country you happen to be in. It isn't allowed in this country now, you have to buy wider cover.

It doesn't cover any damage to your vehicle let alone injuries to yourself or your passengers or loss or damage to any belongings in the vehicle. It may not cover damage to the car you crash into or even your legal costs when they sue. If you hit a lamp-post it wouldn't cover that, or eg a stretch of crash barrier you just demolished. It would however cover the injuries to the third parties you injured. That's about all.

So if you had it nicked or it spontaneously combusts - no cover.

But yes, you'd be legal I expect .......

6. billkce

billkce Funster

Nfu insurance cover us 365 abroad.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

there is no expect. see article7,2, of the eec directive on insurance of civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (no.72/166/cee). it also covers some non eu countries (eg switzerland).
    the problem is uk insurers dont tell you. bit like the international accident report form .devised by the european insurance commitee(cpa) they agreed the form should be available from insurers . it is butif you dont ask you dont get. same old story .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

You are insured in Europe all year

As Alan has said you are covered in Europe all year.. but it is the level of cover that is limited to normally 90 days. But the EEC rules provide for the full year.

Bob

9. pkurzok

pkurzok Read Only Funster

thanks to you all
    i went sage
    they gave me unliminted cover at a price
    thanks