Tow car battery dead (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Charlie ....... The wire an bottlescrew were both tight...... When I set it up, there was wee sag between bottlescrew and wire...... Been thinking about it, and upon leaving car park I went over a speed hump...... My thinking was that van got over hump before car started going over it..... When car started climbing over it, would it have pulled cable tight an set on brakes?????

Your car will have self adjusters and it is possible what you describe could have given the brakes one hell of a pull which in turn pulled the self adjuster onto the next ratchet/stage. I'm unsure exactly what the set up is on your car.

Just start again from scratch with the adjustment on the A frame braking and keep an eye on it that's really the logical step.

Have you sorted an additional wire to charge the tow car battery by the MH when on the move ?

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
iv got an aygo some times the wire goes up a little on the adjust were it connect to at the ring end so that would make it quart short as for bungee i put double on now as to make sure brakes come off as for the brakes lights i had a dio fitted
image-jpg.118761

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Could be the sliding tow hitch needs greasing. It was probably compressed when the cable wouldn't reach and extended when it would.
To set it up, make sure sliding hitch is extended , connect cable and adjust bottle screw to allow a small amount of slack in the cable. You may need to slacken the nut on the bottle screw to adjust , tighten it when finished.
Test and check operation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Re the clevis & pin lining up after being left for a while: removing the clevis would release any residual braking effect on the toad. If you were on level ground the gas strut in the hitch would extend the hitch by moving the car backwards a small amount which would relieve pressure on the hitch brake lever and slacken the cable. Which is why you were then able to insert the pin.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Had the same on my toad and was told rightly or wrongly that I may of had the ingnition key turned to far thus draining the battery whilst being towed but I towed for 4 hours before needing to start car

I had this happen recently, and had to boost the car from the MH to get it started!. I had turned the ignition key too far and then it was in the ignition phase not the accessory position. by the time I got to my destination the battery was flat!. Some vehicles do however allow the brake lights to operate when in the "off" position, Older cars where (mostly) on the Second position (ignition). So is a situation to be aware of!. IF you have the brake lights wired via a 7 core cable direct from the Tow vehicle this (Should) not happen. To be fair because my toad is a "canbus" car, I use a Trailer board in the rear window!. saves a lot of hassle!.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back