tow bars

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JohnM, Feb 15, 2012.

1. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Just thought i would let you funsters know about my search for a tow bar for my rapido.I got a few quotes 4 in total all from well known manufacturers, the prices started at £900 to £750.I then found an advert in mmm for M Parkinson towbars 13 kirkam rd Freckelton Preston pr41hs.Mick quoted £350 fitted, well they say you only get what you pay for.Well i took a gamble and boy did i get a surprise the work was carried out to the highest standerd full length bar fitted with end caps and colour coded in metalic silver, with chip resistant tape to the rear of the bar, and all the under side areas undersealed.A first class job at a good price if you need a towbar give him a call you wont be disapointed.
    01772 634215.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Wish to goodness I had gone there instead of where we did go..

Box section NOT as specified, wires not attached properly and left hanging to drag on the road ( had just been tucked up so was ok upon a glanced inspection ), dulux paint or some such, poorly done and was rusting through inside a month or so, drilled though the Al-KO chassic without spacers so the box section was crushed when it was bolted up, and just bolted to the floor of the garage ( without decent plate washers ) so damaged in there too... ANd considerably dearer too
    It has cost me almost £100 to get it somewhere near right

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Price has come up twice recently, we are so set in the way of "if it's expensive it's good".

There can't be £50 of metal so I can see it being doable but the question with tow bars is: How good are they ? How well tested ?

If this is a little guy, good engineer it may look good, it may be strong, but do you know how strong ?

It's only got to fail on one side and you are in deep deep poo.

4. hilldweller

That came up a while ago with respect to air suspension. Lawyers involved. I seem to recall drilling Al-KO is a big NO NO. Ask Geo.

5. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,Brian I know were you are coming from,this engineer made all the towbars for hymer uk and discover leisure in lancashire until they closed.I have been underneath and everything is attached to the mercedes anchor points and new steels used and i have spoken to some of his customers and i am confident all is well.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oh I know mate... And when I mentioned it before on here folk got all upperty and defensive saying what a wonderful company it was..

I did not chase it as I knew I could sort it out properly myself without all the grief..

When I mentioned it to the boss he just laughed and said it was hard to get the staff nowadays..

I do make sure I spread the word as much as possible and warn folk to check the installation CAREFULLY before leaving.. I did not because of the glowing reports the bellend got on here and other places.. Should have known better and rely on my own engineering skills, but hey, hindsight is a wonderful teacher

• Like Like x 2
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Jaws I think you should mention if possible who did such a poor job for you so others do not get stung

• Like Like x 1
  8. hilldweller

Well done then, a good deal for a change. Let's hope this gets him more work.

9. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

yes good idea......... why not ?

barry

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Because last time I posted it on here I got jumped on cos they had done such a bang up job on others.. One of which I eventually saw for myself and in all honesty was just as bad as mine one way and another, worse in one aspect and I would not tow a bloody donkey with he bar let alone a trailer.. Some folk are easily pleased and get shirty when they think they are wrong..
    You can search the posts of pm me and I will be happy to pass on the info

• Like Like x 2
  11. hilldweller

• Like Like x 2
  12. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I think the days of the non-approved towbar fitters are numbered. Not just because of the safety certificate required but also the multiplex wiring and c-bus.

I have seen towbars fitted by some really big names that have caused 'problems' (don't want to worry anyone unnecesarily) shall we say, when they are used.

Alkos are not meant to be drilled, check that newer motorhomes have had a c-bus interface fitted for the wiring, and check that the towbar is conforming to the safety legislation. It will pay off in the end!:thumb:

13. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Ah I remember the problems but had forgotten the firm, well Jaws you were more polite than I would have been, this sort of shoddy dangerous work by a company like Towtal
    people need to know about, its not a consolation to be told oh mines ok by others when they buggered up yours

• Like Like x 1
  14. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Yes people get very twitchy.......but if Towtal did such a bad job then they deserve to be outed !

barry

15. dustbin john

dustbin john Read Only Funster

just had tow bar fitted at m parkinson motorhome services 13 kirkham rd fab job

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sloany

Sloany Read Only Funster

I had a motorcycle rack fitted by Mike Parkinson for my 220kg 600cc bike. Fanatastic job, he really knows his stuff.

Dave

17. Rosemary1

Rosemary1 Funster

Following this thread we approached Michael Parkinson, as after a slight altercation with a large metal gate, we needed a replacement top bar end cap. Mike not only sent 2 (so they would match) by return post he wouldn't take any money for them!

A big thumbs up for his company and we will always use him in the future wherever possiable - what a gentleman

18. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

Had a type approved tow bar fitted by Mike on tues this week , he has made a proper good job I am well pleased :giggle: