Tow bar for motorbike carrier (1 Viewer)

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
I need a towbar fitted so that I can carry my small motorbike (Honda C90) on the towball. Van is an Autoquest 120 on a Peugeot chassis. Will require that the bike to be rolled on and off easily cos I don't do lifting. Wondering about where to get the job done and how much my plan is going to cost me. I live in Somerset, any ideas? :Smile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, how old is your van? - I fitted a towbar to my Autoquest 180 and it was a very easy job. Mine is a 2010 model.

I wrote about it before Broken Link Removed

Rob

OP
OP
tobytenblue

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Witter Towbar for Elldis

Thanks Rob, my van is 2008. Your comments are very informative and it seems that its not going to overly expensive. I'm not too bad at the old DIY myself. Thanks for posting.

Brian. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thats quite a heavy bike on the back of a motorhome. Are you certain that the van has the spare weight capacity on the back axle including towbar, motorcycle carrier and the bike itself? you need to put the van fully loaded as if you were touring on a weighbridge first.

nothing worse than being stopped by VOSA and finding out you're not legal and having to unload gear and the bike to continue your journey plus paying the fine on top. Apparently VOSA is clamping down on overloaded motorhomes and horseboxes, its easy targets and they make a good income stream.

OP
OP
tobytenblue

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
:Smile:
Thanks for the tip. I'll get weighed first then do the sums. Paying enough blinking tax as it is!
Cheers
Brian.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Brian

I have just taken the towbar off of my Autocruise Starfire, it is very heavy and having removed it my fuel consumption has improved by just over 1 mile per gallon!

I live near Plymouth and would happily give my towbar to you free-of-charge, if you don't mind having to collect it and re-furbish it.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tobytenblue

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Thanks for the offer Dick, I'll keep it in mind but after your comment and the others here, I'm having second thoughts about fitting one. I'm not a confident tugger which is why I wanted my bike on the towball (dry wieght 84kgs) rather than pulling a trailer. Perhaps I ought to invest in an electric bicycle instead (already got a bike rack). Anyone know anything about them? :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back