LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have seen french mh with 2 tow balls on one tow bar.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I really do not see the problem . Just put bigger back wheels on ! Simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
If the trailer brakes are correctly adjusted that shouldnt happen.....the extra lifting motion would be insignificant as the nose of the trailer will impose a downforce on the ball when braking due to the 'see-saw' effect.

Quite correct pappajohn.

I have asked the question of my nephew and the answer to why a riser cannot be fitted is it increases the torque applied to the mountings and bolts.
This is because of the extra leverage it can exert.
If the riser is tall enough there have been cases of the riser itself bending, and in some cases, being forced into the tow vehicle.
This does not occur with a dropper as the tow ball is already above the tow bar height, or should be, and lowering the tow ball will reduce the amount of twisting motion.
To reach a point where a dropper would significantly increase the twisting motion the other way, the tow ball would nearly be far to low, so would be no use anyway.

As I previously said, this information comes from someone who works in the industry and actually designs these things.
Oh, nearly forgot.
Any component of a tow bar would have to be type approved to go with a specific type approved tow bar for a specific vehicle that was that was registered after April 2012.
So anything that you add, riser or whatever, has to be type approved as well.

I hope that has answered any questions.
If any more crop up I will try and get an answer for you. ::bigsmile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite correct pappajohn.

I have asked the question of my nephew and the answer to why a riser cannot be fitted is it increases the torque applied to the mountings and bolts.
This is because of the extra leverage it can exert.
If the riser is tall enough there have been cases of the riser itself bending, and in some cases, being forced into the tow vehicle.
This does not occur with a dropper as the tow ball is already above the tow bar height, or should be, and lowering the tow ball will reduce the amount of twisting motion.
To reach a point where a dropper would significantly increase the twisting motion the other way, the tow ball would nearly be far to low, so would be no use anyway.

As I previously said, this information comes from someone who works in the industry and actually designs these things.
Oh, nearly forgot.
Any component of a tow bar would have to be type approved to go with a specific type approved tow bar for a specific vehicle that was that was registered after April 2012.
So anything that you add, riser or whatever, has to be type approved as well.

I hope that has answered any questions.
If any more crop up I will try and get an answer for you. ::bigsmile:

Makes sense actually I was forgetting the extra leverage from the tow ball height, thanks for that.

Some dealers are still fitting non type approved tow bars made by their mate down the road, I saw one that had no proper chassis extension to the rear so the bar was bolted through the garage floor, totally not fit for purpose.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back