Touring to Rome (1 Viewer)

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We quite fancy going to Rome in the spring no rush just a liesurely trundle south we do not want to go via Switzerland possibly Chamonix and Mont Blanc tunnel or run further south and use the Frejus tunnel to Genova and then hug the coast down to Rome has anyone used either route and have any idea as to roughly what the tunnel costs would be we always try to avoid toll roads also any advise on Aires in Italy we will be using ACSI / CC sites as well.

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Rome

Very nice city Rome, I also like Austria, Get good TV pics,
Have a nice time. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We quite fancy going to Rome in the spring no rush just a liesurely trundle south we do not want to go via Switzerland possibly Chamonix and Mont Blanc tunnel or run further south and use the Frejus tunnel to Genova and then hug the coast down to Rome has anyone used either route and have any idea as to roughly what the tunnel costs would be we always try to avoid toll roads also any advise on Aires in Italy we will be using ACSI / CC sites as well.

We nearly died of shock at the Mont Blanc price in 2008 - nearly €50. But if you've not done Chamonix and the Aiguile du Midi then it's worth it. Lovely campsite almost in the centre of Chamonix opposite the hospital.

We did Maggiore to Florence by going due south and round the coast once, traffic was terrible at the weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Can't help with the Aires/Sosta thing but we have made three trips to Northern Italy in the last 2 years using both the tunnels and the Eastern route through Slovenia. The fiorst one we did was the Mont Blanc which cost a total of €80 from the Swiss side of the tunnel to Genova in October 2008 with a :h:.5 ton 6m van with buggy on behind. Can't remember the Frejus but I am fairly sure the trip was cheaper that way.
Our blog is not exactly comprehensive but the Mont Blanc journey is under October 2008 and called Troyes to Antibes.
Certainly the Cinque Terra between Genova and La Spesa are well worth the trip. Going on down the coast to Livorno is rather Blackpool-like to me but after that is good. If you have the time, I suggest a slight diversion to Pisa and then Florence would be more interesting than coast hopping.
From there, you could got South to Sienna, a lovely place.
After Sienna, we kept to the mid Tuscany roads and enjoyed Montalcino and Pitigliano. We did go to Orbitello but weren't really impressed but then it was Winter.
In Rome, we stayed at Camping Flaminio Village to the North of the city and it made a very good base for the touristy bit.
Please feel free to explore our blog if you want to know our experiences but beware that it took us a month to get from Slovenia to Rome!
I am sure you will have lots of fun.
Patrick

prescott56

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
Sardinia or UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a while
Frejus Tunnel

Hi,
Went thro Frejus October on the way to Genoa, 7.5m van cost was 44 euro's...you should have seen my face, jaw drop nearly set the airbag off.
We went from Chambery, well lac du bourget really. Very nice aires there right on the lake, next to big campsite so dunno how noisy it will be in summer. Aix de banes is a very nice bike ride up the side of teh lake .
Also if you do the main road into the frejus tunnel, scoot off to the village on the right just before you hit the french side tunnel entrance and there is a cracking supermarket, hypermarche, if i remember. good supplies and cheap fuel, (card only) 20 cents cheaper than shitaly.
Enjoy, its lovely down there....til you get to italy hehehehehhe
Regards
Roy

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi

We have done Italy a couple of times, once to Rome and on to Sicily - fantastic.

Last time we were en route to Croatia and we went via Mullhouse then followed the swiss border through Germany (without entering switzerland!!) until we entered Austria (via Liechtenstein) then avoided the motorways (and paying the vignette). We then headed for Bolzano and then on to L Garda. Nice route, no tolls and no tunnels!

Sorry but had stopovers in SatNav but I had to reset it a couple of months ago and lost all history.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Frejus ...

Please note, if you intend to return within 1wk ask for return ticket. Only another 6 Euros, bargain:Smile:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
we always try to avoid toll roads

:Cool: So do I :thumb:
Have just driven down to Gibraltar and back, and the only toll was the ferry ::bigsmile:

Its harder to avoid tolls in Italy though. Italy got its motorways very early, about the 1930's (one of the few good things Mussolini did) Unfortunately it seems a lot of the other roads have not been updated since then. I have driven to Naples, Rome and Florence many times, but on the motorways because the toll free roads I tried were painfully slow.

I must have driven at least 50,000 miles in Italy, but it was all in Heavy Goods Vehicles so my knowledge is of limited use to Motorhomers. Most of the time I had the trailer on and had to park on Motorways, Transport Cafes, or Industrial Estates, but could sometimes drop the trailer and go sightseeing in the tractor unit :Smile:.

An alternative to the Frejus tunnel is to continue along the N6 over Mount Cenis. Usually shut in the winter due to snowfalls, but a lovely drive the rest of the year. Been over that with a 50 foot artic so no problem for motorhomes. :thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Rome

Hi

Due to toll costs I would go via Switzerland.

The coast road in Italy - the SS1 - is pretty good motoring and I have done Rome to Genoa on this road in a coach, with overnight stops en route. This route will take you close to Lucca an Pisa. South of Livorno the road is dual carriageway.

Unable to add info about parking and sostas etc.

Russell

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If it's not the winter take the passes. Mont Cenis or Mont Genevre are no problem in a motorhome and very scenic (keep your eyes on the road - get SWMBO to video it and watch it afterwards) and of course are free :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back