Touring the US in an RV Help! (1 Viewer)

brfcfan

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Funster No
We have never RVed before but have always loved the idea and have now entered the point of no return of wanting to give up our jobs and go for it!

We have done plenty of research and travelled in the US before but not in an RV.

Our plan is to buy an RV and use it to travel around but we have hit a problem that I cannot see a solution to, unless we own a US address; that we need to register and insure the vehicle.

I have been on a US forum and they say it is possible to do it as they have met UK people in the States who have done what we want to do, can anyone on this forum please give me some advice or better still has anyone been through the same scenario???

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hello:thumb:

I beleive there are companies that provide an address etc, but I don't know specifics, more importantly keep an eye here as there are quite a few that have done this and I'm sure one or more will be along in due course:thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I guess your hitting the same problem that full timers hit in Grt Britain.

No address means you dont exist. I guess that if you were to rent a cheap propertey in the US you would fall foul of the immigration laws.

There are companies in the US that will sell you an RV and guarantee a buy back. Can you contact one of these companies and ask their advice.

I do know that there are forum members who are doing right now just what you want to do. Your question is an interesting one. I hope you get a definitive answer.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have a read HERE
As I understand it you may need to form a US holding company to get a legal address cost a couple of hundred dollers
Other may advise better
Geo

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi and welcome--------------------you have found the best place for general motorhome info.-----Plus loads of other stuff :thumb::thumb::thumb:
We were lucky as we had an address we could use.
We have heard that some RV dealers will use their address for ownership/insurance.
America is obsessed with the threat of terrorists/drug money/money laundering at the moment.
We were amazed at some of the silly issues we found--------when we bought our truck, we asked how to pay--the dealer said bankers cheque---so we went with a cheque---he said we could pick the truck up in 3 days,--we said why didn't you tell us, we could have brought cash----he said ''I couldn't accept cash'':Doh::Doh::Doh: We said we are going to Oklahoma tomorrow (600 miles) so you had better work it out----- HE DID
you pay different rates of tax in each state(Montana/Alaska zero) so if you are paying tax on purchase bare that in mind. Having said that---we bought a truck--maybe different for RV ??
transfering money is another thing you would think easy------check it out CAREFULLY before you go--if you want, PM us for how we did it.
Where/ when are you going-----------we are really nosey !! It's a really GREAT place to travel with an RV-----don't expect UK to be the same ! ! !
Loads to do ! !
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Brfcan,

A 'Barry' has just been asked the identical question on our blog http://www.getjealous.com/mick1836 is that you Brfcan?

If not check out our blog and the 'messages' section for my answer to Barry then if you have further questions please feel free to ask either via this thread or a PM.

Mick :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back