LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's been a glorious day weatherwise. I had to go into Kelso and there were two tourist coaches plus the famous Ram Sales are taking place.

Scotland is a wonderful country and there is a lot to see and do, it's not just the Highlands and Islands - gorgeous as the are.

The vast majority of the Scots are welcoming and friendly.

Then there is the food (always try to buy local) is fabulous. Scottish raspberries... just the thought of them makes my mouth water... then the seafood and the beef and the lamb and the potatoes and.... I need to go and get a snack, thinking of the food makes me hungry!

Northumberland is pretty special as well.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
On move today to Nairn.. CCC site has anyone been to this site? And are any funsters up that way?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it a good idea to drink while wild camping?

Simple answer is... No.

Advice from Jim's excellent guide..
A Beginners Guide to Wild Camping in your Motorhome

Alcohol and the Wild-camper
when wild camping you should consider that you might be asked at any time to “move on” by the landowner or even the police. for this reason, you should always be fit to drive when camping in a public place.

In the UK and some European countries there is a “drunk in Charge” law which means that you commit an offence just by being in charge of a vehicle when over the driving limit. If you were charged with this offence, then you would have to prove that your intentions were to sleep and not drive. One would hope that a Police Officer would use common-sense when seeing you in your pyjamas and realise you have no intention of driving. However common-sense seems to be less common these days, so the advice has to be, do not drink too much and wild camp.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if you had around 8 days for a trip to scotland for some nice sightseeing maybe stopping at inns if available just a trip to chill out and enjoy the view what would be the best coast to tour given the fact its a small trip i think we may start at fort william any advice from there please and maybe some stopovers

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
if you had around 8 days for a trip to scotland for some nice sightseeing maybe stopping at inns if available just a trip to chill out and enjoy the view what would be the best coast to tour given the fact its a small trip i think we may start at fort william any advice from there please and maybe some stopovers
Fort William to Ullapool then over to Durness over to john o groats down to Inverness ( watch for the polis on A 9 ) Edinburg back home. Nice wee run

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Dont forget to pop in and see me !!!!!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Simple answer is... No.

Advice from Jim's excellent guide..
A Beginners Guide to Wild Camping in your Motorhome

Alcohol and the Wild-camper
when wild camping you should consider that you might be asked at any time to “move on” by the landowner or even the police. for this reason, you should always be fit to drive when camping in a public place.

In the UK and some European countries there is a “drunk in Charge” law which means that you commit an offence just by being in charge of a vehicle when over the driving limit. If you were charged with this offence, then you would have to prove that your intentions were to sleep and not drive. One would hope that a Police Officer would use common-sense when seeing you in your pyjamas and realise you have no intention of driving. However common-sense seems to be less common these days, so the advice has to be, do not drink too much and wild camp.
Good advice although if you stick to Scotland and north of Loch lomond or Perth you'll see a policeman once every six months and a -10% chance of being asked to move on ...unless causing a nuisance which of course your not going to do or we'll set the boys on you!

Drink responsibly!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bill if you only have a short period why not start at the border rather than a days drive up the country. You have the choice of turning left at Gretna and visiting the beautiful and unspoiled south west coast which has some stunning beaches and forests and some lovely little fishing harbours. Or you could go round the border towns such as Kelso Melrose , Hawick and many others all beautiful and different in their own way.
The mileage to drive to Fort William would get you round most of these places.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Bill if you only have a short period why not start at the border rather than a days drive up the country. You have the choice of turning left at Gretna and visiting the beautiful and unspoiled south west coast which has some stunning beaches and forests and some lovely little fishing harbours. Or you could go round the border towns such as Kelso Melrose , Hawick and many others all beautiful and different in their own way.
The mileage to drive to Fort William would get you round most of these places.

Bill, What Gerry says is absolutely true, most people get their heads and foot down, and wizz straight up the M6 and M74 past the South West of Scotland and miss the lovely places just as Gerry described.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok thx all i will route it all up and see whats best thanks for all the advice as usual priceless
:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bill if you do decide on Dumfries and Galloway get in touch and I will give you as much help and advice as I can on places to stay either site or wild, must see places and anything else. I'd say you won't regret it as its a beautiful coastline round here without all the crowds and high prices.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we were thinking of spending three weeks in Scotland and Orkney during September (I particularly want to see Skara Brae) but decided against it because of the "referendum" - what ever the result anti-english sentiment might be running high after the 18th and I'd rather not be part of any unpleasantness.
So its Cornwall for us.
Cornwall hee hee the county that hates motorhomes? I'd go for Scotland its much friendlier.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've had two funsters visit us last week, will get the photos uploaded later......the weather was gorgeous and warm for them. We're looking forward to meeting another two funsters later today, the weather is not as sunny as it's been lately though(y)

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we are on the move tomorrow to fraserburgh campsite then down to st andrews then Edinburgh
then back across to the west coast,,,,wifey wants to go to Edinburgh or we would have stayed on west coast back down from the highlands.....:(

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we are on the move tomorrow to fraserburgh campsite then down to st andrews then Edinburgh
then back across to the west coast,,,,wifey wants to go to Edinburgh or we would have stayed on west coast back down from the highlands.....:(
If your in no hurry when travelling from St Andrews to Edinburgh go via Anstruther and try the chip shop well worth the detour

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Guys
We are heading for Scotland in a few days for about 2 weeks . I have freaked out looking at the current midge forecast though ! Now anyone out there in the north west please tell the truth ..... Are the midges out of control?
I am already a mozzie magnet and have also had a bad experience with the Noseeums which are the nearest thing to midges across the pond and i have no wish to re live the experience .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Down the centre
I think you are right to worry

http://midgeforecast.co.uk/

I think I have posted this link before, but it looks like the west of Scotland is not the place to be :Eeek:

God will these scare tactics never cease :p
Now attacking our tourism ......

If you rub chilli sauce all over the midges won't touch you ......i promise!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
gerry thx mate just shown linda the route you suggested and seems like that is a go maybe do further afield to scotland when time permits thanks for all your advice ppl

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've not had any trouble with them this year so far, the conditions have to be right for them..... very little or no breeze. As we're near the water there's usually a bit of a breeze to keep them away, they can't get their landing gear down if it's breezy(y)
Having said that, sometimes it's so mild round us in the winter that we get them in when we open the back door.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Down the centre

God will these scare tactics never cease :p
Now attacking our tourism ......

If you rub chilli sauce all over the midges won't touch you ......i promise!

I think Salmond has already damaged our tourism.......

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Edinburgh shopping, brilliant! You couldn't possibly deny your wife that pleasure.....could you?:D

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We will still be coming back, regardless ......

anyway the fuel price is bound to go down :D

Maybe we're missing something then........perhaps we are heading for utopia:RollEyes:
I can only see prices/taxes going up the way in future.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back