LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013, moved from towing caravans
towing a toad, so not looking at narrow/ single track roads while tugging it along....dont mind parking up then driving around in toad though....

Just done the North West Coast then right along North and back down North East and by far recommendation is to spend your time on the West. Stop at Kinlochewe CC site, not expensive but great base to take the car donw throigh Torridon Monutains and onto Applecross with scenery that is simply out of this world. Loch Maree, Gareloch, Poolewe, Ullapool, Durness simply stunning. The single track roads are nothing to worry about, just take your time and use the pasising places which are all regularly spaced. Head over to Sky and some of the Islands if you have time, great scenery, great food and great people.

This is sunset in Ullapool

Attachments

• Holidays July 2014 083.jpg
    Holidays July 2014 083.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Just done the North West Coast then right along North and back down North East and by far recommendation is to spend your time on the West. Stop at Kinlochewe CC site, not expensive but great base to take the car donw throigh Torridon Monutains and onto Applecross with scenery that is simply out of this world. Loch Maree, Gareloch, Poolewe, Ullapool, Durness simply stunning. The single track roads are nothing to worry about, just take your time and use the pasising places which are all regularly spaced. Head over to Sky and some of the Islands if you have time, great scenery, great food and great people.

This is sunset in Ullapool
All my favourite places ...I've been going to Durness 25 years now :)

Did you go over to Cape wrath?

I used to go wild camping on there with a tent in my late teens ....can't get more remote or wild

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We are up to Edinburgh on Thursday for the tattoo, really looking forward to it, Went on a 2 day flying visit with work but loved what I saw so cant wait to go back.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
:) beautiful im heading back up there in October for a week , is smooth cave open again yet it was having work done last time I was up
My old mum and sister are following in my sisters mh, believe it or not they've not wild camped before so I'm going to educate them lol

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
we were thinking of spending three weeks in Scotland and Orkney during September (I particularly want to see Skara Brae) but decided against it because of the "referendum" - what ever the result anti-english sentiment might be running high after the 18th and I'd rather not be part of any unpleasantness.
So its Cornwall for us.

We are only just back from a two month trip that included Shetland, Orkney and the north and west coast of Scotland. It truly is God's country, magnificent scenery and wonderful people that will be just the same with us I'm sure after the 18th of September as they are now and that's some of the most easy going and friendly folk you could ever wish to meet...and the same will apply no matter what the outcome of the 18th September.

We love Cornwall, but I wouldn't trade it for Scotland in the Autumn, referendum or no referendum!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If the buses can run along the roads so can you..... don't forget you have "right of size".

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
:) beautiful im heading back up there in October for a week , is smooth cave open again yet it was having work done last time I was up
My old mum and sister are following in my sisters mh, believe it or not they've not wild camped before so I'm going to educate them lol

We've never wild-camped either, I think it's a confidence thing.......but I reckon the best place to do it is up in the north of Scotland(y)

Bill

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We've never wild-camped either, I think it's a confidence thing.......but I reckon the best place to do it is up in the north of Scotland(y)

Bill
Really? ..you should come up one weekend when I'm going and il show you a few places .....In 20 years I've not once had trouble

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Saw the sign post for the cemetery but after doing my family tree I'm a bit over cemeterised and other half wouldn't appreciate the diversion. This Beach ? at Durness ?View attachment 39152
Not the one at the campsite ....if you drive out campsite gate turn right and drive up past the shop then instead of following the main road to the left go straight ahead and follow to the end ....there's a golf course an an old church ruin and cemetery there ....and a beautiful sandy beach that is a great walk

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Incidentally il be wildcamping around glencoe, Glen etive and Glen orchy this coming weekend

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We love Glen Orchy, only visiting Dumfries/Galloway /Ayrshire this sept.
Terry
It's one of my favourite weekend haunts as only 2 hours drive for me

I've not been over Ayrshire and Dumfries so far this year il have to go some weekend

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
We love Glen Orchy, only visiting Dumfries/Galloway /Ayrshire this sept.
Terry
It's one of my favourite weekend haunts as only 2 hours drive for me

I've not been over Ayrshire and Dumfries so far this year il have to go some weekend

Let me know when you are coming I can sort out a few nice sleepy places eg.
DSC_3801.JPG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not for your hairdryer I hope

No for medical equipment.... a hair dryer is not medical equipment! Needing an EHU is limiting but we can still get away when ever we wish which is far more freedom than we expected a few years back.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We don't wild camp because of the need for an EHU :(
hi Helen , is the need 24/7 for 240v , or could you get away with running a little portable genny to keep things charged,,, I always carry a generator and find it useful, though I know many don't like them....
I'm sure you have considered the options but just thought I would mention it.
ta andy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
hi Helen , is the need 24/7 for 240v , or could you get away with running a little portable genny to keep things charged,,, I always carry a generator and find it useful, though I know many don't like them....
I'm sure you have considered the options but just thought I would mention it.
ta andy
It's needed for a minimum of 8 hours overnight. We have a big genny at home in case of power cuts but generally if the power will be off for more than an hour we get taken to "a place of safety" where they can make sure there is power.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Smoo not smooth
And yes it is open :)

Bill

The site at Durness lets you on for free out of season, not exactly sure what dates, or you can pay for electric for £3, close to wilding as we like too Bill

and all fill / dump facilities open and toilets with cold water only

good enough for us and well worth £3 to keep warm, we will be back next Jan / Feb hoping for Northern Lights

and Smoo Cve is open as Allan says, went down this Feb

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
All my favourite places ...I've been going to Durness 25 years now :)

Did you go over to Cape wrath?

I used to go wild camping on there with a tent in my late teens ....can't get more remote or wild

No did not make it over Tamb as we had the dog as the teenager did bot want to spend the time on bus and wanted to stay extra in Ullapool. We will be back to do that though (y)

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp

Cave is open Tambo,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back