skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'd appreciate info to the contrary (about the dogs being muzzled I mean) or how strict the rule is applied.

Hi there,

The rule exists, however, as a past GS owner, we never had ours muzzled, then we were never stupid enough to let the dog loose anywhere it might cause offence. Lease laws and anti-fouling laws are others that would be more noticeable. Signs abound about cleaning up after your dog - and it is something you should take seriously - if only for the locals sake.

I would suggest bringing one with you, and if challenged you could always plead ignorance but promise to get one straight away - which is a lot more that some people with far more dangerous breed owners here do.

Michael

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi there,

The rule exists, however, as a past GS owner, we never had ours muzzled, then we were never stupid enough to let the dog loose anywhere it might cause offence. Lease laws and anti-fouling laws are others that would be more noticeable. Signs abound about cleaning up after your dog - and it is something you should take seriously - if only for the locals sake.

Michael

Having had Shepherds for over 40yrs, we are well aware that other people can be somewhat apprehensive towards the breed. Even when ours are running free, they are called to heel until we are happy that there isn't a problem with any aother person/dog approaching us. As for dog fouling, I've had more than a few "run-ins" with dog owners that simply walk away from their dogs fouling, by asking in a loud voice if they would like one of our nappy bags, that we use to remove the offending mess. Some people are just plain pig ignorant.

Anyway Michael , thanks for the info. I take it you are from the Republic. So if you see a couple of Englanders with the most obedient GSD on your travels, with nappy bags & muzzle about their person, it'll be us.:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

BeeJay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Eva, while I am obviously more aware of places north of the border, there is a fantastic spot at Tramore- maybe not splet correctly in Waterford, I think the site is called Newton Cove, possible to spot seals etc
Weejohn
There's a carpark at Newtown Cove - just to the East and overlooking it - dead quiet at night - there is a knackerbar oops sorry a height restriction barrier on it - but if you look closely the lock is missing and it can be opened, you can slip in and close it after you! At least this is how it was last Summer when we were there.
Newtown Cove itself is a favourite spot for swimming - and you can fish off the rocks too.
While County Waterford has great beaches, they seem to have a height barrier on every decent carpark, and dogs are banned from most beaches - so we go tend to go elsewhere now (and we live in the next county!) If only we had the same attitude to motorhomes as France......!

dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ireland is in my wants list as a place to tour, Do they have any different driving regs to the UK other than speedlimits which I presume will be clearly displayed.

For some reason my western europe maps on my tomtom 700 does not appear to cover Ireland.
That's odd - are you sure it's not just included in your "UK" one? Usually (eg in my Garmin) both Northern Ireland and the Republic are always on the same package as England/Scotland/Wales. I have never seen an ad for an Ireland specific GPS package.
On your normal UK map try finding say Killarney and see what comes up.

dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Does anyone know when or if the Swansea to Cork ferry is resuming service please?.
Ric.
Last I heard is that they finally succeeded in buying a boat but that it will not be in place in time for this season - ie will be starting service in Spring 2010. Was a dead handy service - pity it went. Ringaskiddy (the port) is dead 6 days a week now - only ferry is the Cork - Roscoff on Saturday.

With the downturn in the economy I would not be 100% certain it will happen though....

joemac

Free Member
Aug 18, 2008
Northants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Swansea Cork Ferry

Does anyone know when or if the Swansea to Cork ferry is resuming service please?.

Ric.

Hi,

The planned date is 1 March 2010, See the web site "Bring back the Swansea Cork Ferry" for more information. There was a delay from this summer due to Finnish banks negotiating the sale.

Joe

PS If you use the ferry, try Beara Peninsula next to the Ring of Kerry. Quiet, good pubs and stunning scenery. ( But maybe I am biased as i live there part time.)

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
crazylazy

Next year I want to do a trip around the coast of Ireland, in our Motor Home as a surprise for my O/H, and I would like to get everything planned before we go, for eg:- where to stay , roughly how many miles a day we need to do, in order to reach camp sites, etc., how easy is it to wild camp, and where to obtain water, empty the loo etc., any ideas where to find this info would be gratefully received.
I may be too late but have you made your arrangements for Ireland or have you been and come back!

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
crazylazy

I haven't quite mastered this web-site but I am trying.......has the person who is going to Ireland planned their trip yet...if so any chance of looking at the Itinerary

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
crazylazy, we didn't start this thread, although we were also interested in its contents, and we wrote some posts in it.

We are planning the trip for this summer, 2009, and we have a rough idea of what we'd like to see, although we'll still change it for sure (and we are very happy to have opinions about it !!!) . Now it looks like this:

(the items marked with ? mean we might not have the time for them, so we'd drop them from the final list)

Day 1
(**)Irish Agricultural Museum (Johnstown Castle Estate)

Day 2
(**)Jerpoint Abbey
(**)Kilkenny, - castle(**) , St Canice Cathedral (**)
Holy Cross Abbey (**)

Day 3
Rock of Cashel (***)
Scenic route of Nier(**) or Nire Valley
Cahir castle (**)
Viewpoint at the entrance of Glen of Aherlow park
Carraig na bhFear (private affair)

Day 4
(**) Blarney Castle
(**) Cork, St Fin Barre’s Cathedral (**), Shandon Bells (**) , English Market
(**) Kinsale
Drombeg Stone Circle ??

Day 5
Garinish Island) (**)
Healy Pass
Killorglin, Puck Fair
Ring of Kerry, north side: Lough Caragh, Cahersiveen
Portmagee

Day 6
Skellig Islands, trip booked with Des. Lavelle’s Skellig Boat Trips, Valentia Island, County Kerry, Ireland, Link Removed
Derrynane National Historic Park (**)

Day 7, Killarney Park
Ring of Kerry, south side
Moll's Gap(*)
Ladies View (**)
Torc Waterfall (*)
Gap of Dunloe (**), cycling

Day 8, Dingle Peninsula
Slea Head (**) and clóchans
Gallarus Oratory (**)
Connor Pass (**)
Stradbally Strand (**)

Day 9
Adare (*)
Bunratty Castle (**) and Folk Park
Cliffs of Moher (***)
Burren (**): Burren Centre in Kilfenora, Corkskrew Hill, Black Head, Scenic Route (**), Poulnabrone Portal Tomb(*).
As evening arrives visit Doolin village, the heart of traditional Irish music

Day 10
Clonfert
Clonmacnoise (***)
Lough Corrib (**)
Rossaveel

Day 11
Ferry to Aran Islands, we board our bycicles (from Ros a' Mhíl to Inis Mór)
Aran Island Ferries, Aran Island Ferries

Day 12, Connemara
Dog’s Bay (Roundstone) (*)
Clifden
Sky Road (**)
Connemara National Park (* ???)
Kylemore Abbey (* ???)
Doo Lough Pass (*)
Ballintubber Abbey (**)
Westport, Westport House (** ???).

Day 13
Lough Gill (**) next to Sligo
Cliffs of Magho Viewpoint (***), south side of Lough Erne
Enniskillen, Castle Coole (***)
Ulster-American Folk Park (** ???)
[FONT=&quot]Beaghmore Stone Circles[/FONT] ???

Day 14
Rossnowlagh Strand (**)
Cliffs of Bunglass (**)
Glencolmcille Folk Village (**),
Glengesh Pass (**)
Next to Toory, Bunbeg Teach Húdaí Beag, Monday night traditional session, smaller Friday night too. (???)
Glenveagh National Park (**)

Day 15
Grianan of Aileach (**),
Burt Church
Inishowen Scenic Drive (**)
Malin Head (**)
Londonderry City Walls and Gates (**)

Day 16
Gortmore Viewpoint (**)
Magilligan Strand (**)
Bushmills Distillery, children aged less than 8 cannot take the tour. We might only have a drink (good whiskey, of course) (???)
Dunluce Castle (**)
Giant’s Causeway (***)

Day 17
Carrick-a-rede rope Bridge (***) de 10 a 19
Armoy Dark Hedges
Murlough National Nature Reserve (***) go to Fair Head (Benmore)
Glenariff Forest Park (**)

Day 18
Lisburn, aquapark
Ulster Folk and Transport Museum

Day 19
Mount Stewart
Portaferry
Ardglass
Castlewellan
Mourne Mountains

Day 20
Monasterboice
Boyne Bally, Newgrange
Loghcrew Cairns ???
Trim Castle ???

Day 21, Dublin
Merrion Square (*)
Trinity College Old Library (***)
St Patrick’s Cathedral (**) or tourist bus route
Christ Church Cathedral (**) or tourist bus route
Kilmainham Gaol (**)
Guinness Storehouse (*)
Temple Bar, pub The Palace

Day 22
Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens (**)
Glendalough (***)
Powerscourt (**)

Rosslare (ferry back home at 01:00, day 23)

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
post subject

Wow that's going to be some trip,
we have been to almost all the places you mention and they are all worth visiting,
but it would have been spread over a much longer period:ROFLMAO:
Hope you enjoy your time here and if you require any information just ask ,but it looks like you have done your homework:Cool:

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Aido, I imagine we'll have to drop some items from our list of wishes !!
We should be able to stop at some peaceful places and enjoy the scenery, have a pint, look at the sea.

That's why we'll drop some items, and we'd appreciate very much your advice, in case you already see something on the list which could be dropped !!!

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
We'd like to spend one night in either Tollymore Forest Park Caravan Site, or Castlewellan Forest Park Caravan Site, and have some light, easy and nice promenade.
Any recommenation? Are they similar?

And also, we are planning to visit the Cultra Folk and Transport Museum. Do you know if we could overnight either in its parking space,or somewhere nearby?

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back