Touring Austria

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by IOW traveller, Nov 17, 2013.

1. IOW traveller

IOW traveller Read Only Funster

:BigGrin: i am driving through austria next year in my 4 ton motorhome ? any advice ?

2. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Go to Hitlers Eagle Nest,Berchtesgardenrland ??,must do,spaces for M/homes to park,also Konnigsee ?? lake, the boats leave the quay every xx mins,if you go early in the day,you can hop off one,do a walk,come back to where you disembarked,jump on the next one,(On and off,all the way around) and y
    ou can even take the,"Hund!"
    They stop one of the ferries,in the middle of the lake,and blow a trumpity thing,and it echoes all around... Magic our Morris !(A blast from the past :BigGrin:)
    Tea Bag.

3. Phill D

Phill D

look up vignette for Austria you may or may not need one dependant on which roads you intend to use..

if you are taking a dog look up tick borne encephalitis.

fantastic country, bit expensive in some places:thumb:

4. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Austria is lovely and so picturesque.
    Take a look at this site - it is honestly the best site I have stayed on (so far).
    http://www.natterersee.com/urlaub-am-campingplatz-in-tirol-en.php

Also very dog friendly - we took our dog on the cable car and they didn't even charge for her.

With regards to vignette - yes you will need one but it only costs around 9 euros and lasts 10 days.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

Have to agree lovely place and well worth the visit, if your over 3.5t you might need a go box if I remember correctly.

6. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Go Box - Austria, Switzerland and Germany

Oooh! Thanks for reminding me! This wasn't an issue for us last year as our mh was under 3.5 tonne but we've since changed it and we're over now so will need a Go Box. There still seem to be a lot of confusion over where you can get these and particularly how to get a refund if you don't use all the preloaded euros. Also, if you want to travel through Switzerland, Germany and Austria is there just one box you can buy or do you need 3??!!

7. billkce

billkce Funster

Switzerland: Vignette - buy it at any garage approaching border or at the border around €30.

Germany: PAYG. No boxes

Austria: Vignette for under 3.5T We just got a 10 day vignette for €8.70 at garage. Extra toll from Innsbruck thru Brenner Pass €8.50. They didn't even look for the Vignette or a box! I'd get a Vignette & plead 3.5T!!!:Blush:

Good luck

Billkce

8. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

What is a Go Box ???

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

See here - same system applies in Switzerland and several Central / Eastern European countries. Not sure if there is one box to suit all countries; I would like to know the answer to that question. **

http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassy/london/practical-advice/general-information/toll-system.html

** Just answered my own question in part. It seems there is interoperability with Switzerland but maybe not with countries further east. It does not apply to motorhomes in Germany.
    http://www.go-maut.at/internationales-engagement

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  10. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Looks like they will be places I will not be going then.

Is Germany the same?

Any idea how much per km they charge?

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you click on my second link above, then select "Paying the Toll" there is a section on toll rates. It depends on the number of axles, engine emissions and which road. Assuming yours is a three-axle van with a Euro IV or V engine, the standard rate for most highways is €0.238 per km plus VAT at 20% so that makes it €28.56 per 100 km.

The toll in Germany, as in the proposed French system, applies only to goods vehicles (see my last point in the earlier post).