Touring Abroad Vs. Touring At Home

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BillyS, May 1, 2015.

1. BillyS

BillyS Funster

I don't know whether anyone has ever done a survey or questionaire, regarding touring abroad vs touring at home. It would be intersing to have an idea, on the percentage of both sets of Funster Tourers in this Forum. I know many Funsters myself included, prefer to tour abroad, due to the many restrictions imposed on us by Councils, for whatever reasons. We do tour the UK, especially Scotland, but prefer to go abroad for our main Holidays. Many Funsters might not travel abroad for personal reasons, i.e. Health, appointments with Hospitals, Operations, etc, Work committments, looking after Grandkids, etc. I think it would make interesting reading. Your thoughts please.
    BillyS

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

If I was retired I would certainly be spending my time touring warmer sunnier climates. For now I mostly make do with Scotland but should be venturing overseas in Sept for a month hopefully.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BONZO

BONZO Funster

We have found that if you want the feedem of the road you have to go to Scotland . as for the uk it's just not the case you have to go to a site no feedem just to stop. Iv never been abroad but we are going next year and by the sounds of it I will not look back . It is a big shame that the UK is so out of touch with motorhoming. But I livein Hope. John n Linda

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We just go wherever we feel like, here or abroad. There's always somewhere new to see (y)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Rarely tour in UK for all the usual reasons. Scotland is nice but from where we live is not much nearer than the south of France and the driving is much nicer in France.

• Like Like x 4
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What an odd idea. :) I go abroad for the weather, the scenery, the wine, the food and just to experience new err... experiences and..... adventures.

I also tour in the UK for the same reasons except the weather and accept the wine costs a bit more.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

For me its seeing new things and meeting new people, that is easier done abroad, but there are zillions of places I havn't seen in the UK yet. I tell people I've been around the world a few times and I have, but have I? I've still never visited Scotland!

• Like Like x 3
  8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Put it on your to do list... (y)

Spectacular scenery... Lovely people... (Most are.. ;))... but you have to have the weather right... :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJ

JJ Funster

Weather means abroad for me.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  10. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We normaly go abroad but are planning 2 weeks in Scotland later this month all being well( & weather permitting).
    We live in a lovely part of the country but it's nearly impossible to tour properly in England.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

We plan to do both. There is a lot of the UK still to explore and entire continents unvisited in the rest of the world.....so much to see....so little time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

'Abroad' is a huge and diverse area----so it depends where you go----we love quiet roads, open space easy wild camping and friendly locals, our two favourite places are Portugal (Winter) and Sweden (summer).
    In general travelling in UK is more expensive and more difficult.
    Nigel

• Like Like x 3
  13. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Interesting Sweden is a summer favourite of yours - not a place I'd think of going.

Do tell why it's your top choice.

Always happy to look at somewhere a bit different.

14. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Even though we're retired we find ourselves torn between the two. There is so much of the UK we have either yet to see or liked so much we want to go back but then again France is so pleasant and varied. So much to see ...

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Wait until you have been-----then you will know;););)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gandhi

Gandhi

On or two night breaks wild camping in the UK every 3 or 4 weeks. Would NEVER tour the UK because of the expense and the bloody restrictions by little Hitler councillors who don't want us to spend our money there. It seems as though the world and its dog is out to try and fine you or charge you for something on this little island.

Summer holiday spent touring France and helping their balance of payments and economy with our dosh because not only are they relaxed about tourism and motor homes but because they actively try to attract us there.

Currently evaluating the feasibility of spending the winter months down on the Costas long term to avoid our dull, grey cold weather.

Paul

• Like Like x 3
  17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

its just so expensive in uk what with the price of deisel and no aires

• Like Like x 4
  18. Gandhi

Gandhi

Same thoughts here.

If councils put as much effort into getting us to spend our money in shops, restaurants and attractions as they do getting their little army of wardens slapping 80 quid parking fines onto windscreens I'm sure the British tourist industry wouldn't be in the shit it is.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  19. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Personally my preference is France every time, Wife Ann prefers UK , as she doesn't speak french & can't drive, which makes her nervous as both suffer a few health issues & she thinks she would cope better in the UK if any problems. So we have been to UK every year plus every other year do a french trip for 2/3 weeks. although I think I've talked her into going France for a couple of weeks each year as well as several hols in UK.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cobweb

Cobweb

Before we bought our Rapido we toured in the UK only . Mainly because we had a small van due to the size of our parking space . 10 days was the maximum time we could stand it . Once we got our Rapido and a place to keep it we headed for Europe usually for about 2 months in the spring and 6 weeks in the autumn and that is pretty much what we have done for the last 8 years. We like the freedom of not having to plan and book ahead. Many times if the weather is bad in the north we head south and keep going till it gets better . We are crossing to Calais on the 12 th of May and I have not got a clue where we will head as yet . Possibly a slow pootle through Champagne and Burgundy and the Moselle and Germany maybe .

• Like Like x 3