Tourershine

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Oriel, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

We're just trying to decide whether or not to have a treatment on our MH. One of the guys at Travelworld said it would be a good idea to treat the vehicle keep the paintwork looking good.

We've had a quote from Tourershine and I'm wondering what people think of the company and the product they use (PTFE). Also what is a PTFE a treatment?

We saw a video on YouTube where a guy had a professional treatment on his MH and the whole vehicle ended up covered in what looked like freckles - masses of brown blobs literally all over the vehicle. Whilst I don't know what treatment he used it has made us wonder whether to go for a treatment or not. Our MHZ is just over one year old by the way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Would have thought a good shampoo then a quality polish employing some elbow grease. As she is new to you, doing it yourself will acquaint you with her flaws and blemishes. I find that a good polish on the pointy end makes the removal of suicidal flying beasties of all sorts considerably easier. Stuff the PTFE, bring on the Carnauba wax.
    As a general rule I don't like anyone tampering with my babe, When she gets her MOT I closely watch from the observation area. I warn them, so they can expect the odd shout of derision, after all I am paying ! There are some careless clotts about ! ;)

PS i thought ptfe was white tape that you wrap around threads while doing plumbing tasks

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Paintseal, another company, does work, for my previous van had been treated. As it says on the can, a swill over with water and it comes up like new. Why have I not had my present van treated? It is much more expensive than polishing it once a year but it does work. The concept being that the microscopic texture in the paint, is filled so that fine dirt particles cannot attach themselves.

Alan

4. davejen

davejen Funster

The dealer will say it's a good idea, they are making a packet from you, as others have said a good polish once or twice a year will do the job much cheaper too.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

I completely agree Dave, I am not willing to pay the £400+ to have Paintseal on my van but as I said before, a previous van had been treated before I bought it and I must admit that it was effective. If I did have that sort of money to use without thinking, I would have it done.
    Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Today I valeted a caravan that had been treated with Paintseal, all went well until it came to the rather large amount of tar spots on the front. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as the tar remover I have is extremely good, but I could not use it as it could POSSIBLY remove some of the sealer as well. There was nothing in the customer care package that would tackle this problem. So customer had to choose between very unsightly tar spots or take the risk of damaging the sealer. I have never been keen on sealers on motorhomes or caravans as some of the main materials that they are made from are designed to flex and sealers don't flex. If you still think its worth doing Oriel then get Tourershine to do it as they only do motorhomes and caravans so know what they are doing, unlike some of the cowboys that offer this service

7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Trust me these wonder paint treatments are nothing but a con..

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

We had 2 vans and 1 car done( Paint seal ) I for one dont want to spend my time polishing a large van when a simple wash makes it shine. It is a bit pricey @£400 but I found it worth it

9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I for one don't want to spend £400 on something that is just a modern version of the Kings new clothes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Is that because you have experience of these treatments or just that you dont believe the sales blurb.

11. Charlie

Charlie Funster

No its because of my experience in detailing over the last 30 years that tells me these wonder treatments are just not able to live up to the hype.
    Sadly its an easy sell because people really want to believe in these products. They almost feel compelled to buy into them as most like me at least have invested a huge chunk of their savings into these motor homes / cars/boats or whatever,

• Like Like x 2
  12. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

So if we had our motorhome detailed instead of using Paint seal this would be better value in your opinion, I have had quotes for detailing my cars and they came in a lot more than £400. What would your cost be of for a f430 spyder and how many hours would it take?

13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

A bit of background.

I have been into vehicle detailing for more than 30 years. I have never done this for a living . I used to write as a technical author for one of the largest detailing product manufacturers in the world. I have spent endless weekends attending meets and doing machine polishing demonstrations .
    There are many areas of detailing. My area is paint or exteriors if you like .

These wonder paint products are hopeless. There used to be one ( I cant say names for obvious reasons) that car dealerships used to sell to customers for anything from £200 up.
    The cost of the product which consisted of nothing more than a sponge filled with wax was less than 5 quid.
    These products were punted in order to do nothing other than make money.
    It would take a valeter less than an hour to apply as all they did was puncture the sponge to allow the wax to leak out. Dampen it then wipe it over the vehicle. Then buff off.

To detail the outside of a car involves claying. Machine polishing then applying either a high quality wax or sealant. Its a bit more involved than that but I could rabbit on for ages.

Above someone mentions a sealant has been applied over tar spots. Well that indicates the quality of the person doing the job.

Any vehicle car boat MH caravan would need to be looked at before a detailer would or could give a price. It really is how long is a piece of string.

It would be quite ridiculous to say there are no benefits from these products ! But the gains would be less IMO than an application of a long durability high quality wax.
    A tin of Collinite 476S costs 18 quid and would do more than ten large motor-homes easily.

Hours taken would be down to the condition of the vehicle at the start. If its covered in tar spots and needs those removing it adds time. Careful claying again adds more time. Then how long doing the actual machine polishing makes a huge difference. If the paint on the metal parts is swirled or perhaps its been rubbed against a few bushes down narrow lanes then these have to be carefully polished out.

But I'm talking about proper preparation Before applying wax or sealants. None of these people who apply "wonder products" would do this unless specifically asked.

Doing an MH could run into days but conversely it could be done in a day . Its that how long is the string again ?

I really am surprised there is not a detailing section on these MH forums.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

I think then I may have to buy a good quality wax next time and apply it from new and this should give a similar shine I do also use aqua cote not sure if that helps but when I wash the van it is not hard work.

15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

You can apply wax to any vehicle at any age it does not have to be new.
    On used vehicles it pays to clean them as well as you can or are able to do.
    But even if you simply wash them and then apply you will get a degree of protection to your vehicle.

The depth of shine on pIntwork is got at the polishing stage. We call it paint correction as we polish out all minor scratches and swirling marks which makes a massive difference and gives back the clarity to the paint. It often is possible to get the finish better than new. Fact is I polish my cars even when I buy brand new ones.
    The wax is there to protect. It will mean the water sheds off and beads on the surface . A degree of protection against UV light that will prevent fading is so gained from waxing.

Old or new, polished or not it's important to apply a decent quality high durability wax to keep your investment at its best !!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Some people need to get out more. I have a work colleague who lives to polish his Subaru. Every break he is watching detailing vids on YouTube and then buying yet another product from Ebay.

In my opinion, cars are for getting from A to B and, when they don't, you sell or scrap them.

Life really is too short......:)

• Like Like x 4
  17. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

I bet you wax your skis Jon(y)

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Definitely! Makes 'em go quicker!(y)

Anything more than a layer of turtle wax on the IQ or MH won't make them quicker though!

I am not having a dig at those who get pleasure from the presentation of their vehicle, but shouldn't a machine enhance our lives?
    Being a slave to the machine seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog to me!:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I do get out. I enjoy looking after my kit. Getting out in the fresh air can't do any harm eh ?
    For people like me the rather large sum of money I paid and paid cash for is an investment in our pleasure. So looking after it is important.
    Have you stopped to consider your friend with the Subaru might actually enjoy what he is doing to his car ?

Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. The way opinions are voiced speaks a lot about the person opinining..

• Like Like x 3
  20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

That's me told then!

• Like Like x 1