Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Hello all
Can anyone help with tips on free camping to watch the Tour de France at the mountain stages Wed 20th July Gap-Pinerolo, Thurs 21st Pinerolo-Galibier-Serre Chevalier and Friday 22nd July Modarne Valfrejus - Alpe d'huez. We would like to camp overnight on the course if possible. Many thanks

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Listening to firstly David Duffield and more recently David Harmon doing the commentaries on the race. It would appear if you want to camp at any of the mountain stages you need to be there about a week before the race comes through.

If they are correct then the best advice would be to pick the stage you really want to see then head there a week or so in advance. They also have mentioned in the past the great party atmosphere's that pervade the camp sites.

I think that you will be very lucky to get camped anywhere near the course if you try to follow the race from stage to stage.

Sorry to put a downer on your hopes/plans.

Pete

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I would follow the Dutch. They are the party people and avid tour watchers. I dont think you will get booked into a camp site near any of the stages.

We watched a few staged last year in Belgium but were lucky enough to be on a camp site that the tour passed before it finished in Spa. A lot of people follow the tour on bike.

I can only say good luck and echo the sentiments of choose the mountain stage you really want to see and be prepared to camp their at least a few days in advance.

Time trials are also good to watch as you get to look around at all the teams and see the riders practicing before hand. Watched the time trial in Rotterdam last year. Except for the rain it was fabulous.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back