Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have been watching the televised highlights of the Tour in recent days, not so much out of interest in road racing, although it is a fabulous sporting event. However my recent viewing interest has been inspired by seeing the huge number of MH's parked up in any and every available level (and some not so level) spots to view the passing racers.
Is it as easy as turning up the day before, finding a spot and pitching up ?
Anybody done/doing it ?

Regards, Bryandh

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
2014 for us ::bigsmile:

If you're watching live today and didn't notice??? it's on ITV1HD as well as ITV4

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010

If you're watching live today and didn't notice??? it's on ITV1HD as well as ITV4

Not interested in watching live..... highlights do me. Who watches daytime TV...... when we got 14 hours of sunshine here a day to enjoy ? ........ LOL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: By the way...couple of questions in OP.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Highlights may well be on ITV4 only.
I prefer HD and the time trial is of all importance to me as a seasoned veteran tester.
770202377_xpcwP-L.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On short stages you may well have to get there 3 days ahead, especially for mountain top finishes and might not get back down until the day after. It's impossible to see more than 6 or 7 stages so forward planning is essential.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Yep, is for us too :thumb:

Been enthralled watching on TV this year, Ive been watching it quite a bit because its been so bad outside.

I just love the thought of being so close to real athletes.

look like we might have to get a rolling meet together, from one stage to another. :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Been enthralled watching on TV this year, Ive been watching it quite a bit because its been so bad outside.

look like we might have to get a rolling meet together, from one stage to another. :winky:

..and a seed is sown:Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Route for 2014 is published October 2013 so 8 months to plan.
The wife can dump you and bike at bottom of Ventoux and meet you at the top lol

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Instead of Dutch corner you could have Fun corner. If Yorkshire win the bid to start the tour in 2014 then we could defo have a meet.

Sonja

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It would be the one stage to miss! it would cost too much lost time getting ahead of the tour

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Would be nice to get back on thread and maybe have some answers to the questions in the OP. Seems a waste of time to post threads if they constantly drift off into trivia.

Bryandh

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would be nice to get back on thread and maybe have some answers to the questions in the OP. Seems a waste of time to post threads if they constantly drift off into trivia.

Bryandh

Bryan where did it drift off. ?? Your question was answered (3 - 7 days) The rest is chat about those that would like to follow it. Where is the trivia?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Couple of us are hoping to get over next year and watch the stage thats the time trial, have been told that you have to be there a day or so in advance and even earlier on the mountain stretches so as to get a parking spot

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Have been watching the televised highlights of the Tour in recent days, not so much out of interest in road racing, although it is a fabulous sporting event. However my recent viewing interest has been inspired by seeing the huge number of MH's parked up in any and every available level (and some not so level) spots to view the passing racers.
[HI]Is it as easy as turning up the day before, finding a spot and pitching up ?[/HI]
Anybody done/doing it ?

Regards, Bryandh

OP Question...

[HI]On short stages you may well have to get there 3 days ahead, especially for mountain top finishes and might not get back down until the day after.[/HI] It's impossible to see more than 6 or 7 stages so forward planning is essential.

Answer to OP question...

[HI]looks like we might have to get a rolling meet together, from one stage to another.[/HI] :winky:

And a suggestion based on the OP...

I have wanted to checkout the Tour de France for ages... I understand that the actual competitors riding by is merely the climax to what is a great party amongst the spectators and the villagers which starts well before the race comes through and continues well after!

I would love to join a Funster Rolling Meet... already planning to make up a number and join the end of the peleton on my Made in Thailand, £60 mountain bike... :Cool:

Bradley Who?

JJ :Cool:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Is it as easy as turning up the day before, finding a spot and pitching up ?
Anybody done/doing it ?

Regards, Bryandh

Bryandh

Bryan, I thought the highlighted bit in your first post was what I was answering? anyone else doing it was what you asked

Not a waste of a thread or post, looks like you have sown the seed for an interesting meet and a chance to catch JJ riding the tour de france on a Taiwanese mountain bike :thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Since around 2006 we have been going although until this year with the car and the tin tent although the later was at site while we went in the car. This year with the MH we missed it due to timing and meeting up with relatives in the wrong place at the wrong time, although it did come here this year so we went for the local stage in the car.

Pyrenees is best for me as it gets spectators but not as busy as the Alps and it closer to some nice Vineyards::bigsmile:

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We followed the tour de france last year and this. Half the fun is taking all your flags etc down after the bikes have gone through and heading straight to the next stage to find a verge or layby for the night along route.
The mouintains got closed near the top 5 days before this year as we found out, much to our vans demise when I burnt the clutch trying to reverse round with a drop one side:Doh:
The atmosphere is fab and so are most of the people! Have to add that I hate watching it on telly, but hubby is a fanatic so only go for his sake...honest!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Well we were tossing between Rutland week after touring lakes or heading south. France won due to some dubious weather predictions. decided to head south , towards tours/vendee area, but got caught up with Tour-de-France nr calais ,went on towards Rouen looking for Aire but found out i should have been circling Rheims however parked up along the seine with another GB van soon to be followed by x2 french vans small car park was then full, found out we were next to a relative of thomas who was in the tour,before race came through support car stopped and handed out handful of jerseys.T shirts. next got talking to elderly chap Norman Russell who said he was in tour race in 63/64 many stories told, however he was in a van and as a previous rider moves on at each stage a gets some perks re van parking . any way found best to find the route and plan to arrive at least full day ahead. do not plan to take photos as they pass through or you will miss it. Had great time and stayed put in the area. phew this went on a bit but with moho you just don't know where your end up or who you meet

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
someone just told me the tour starts in Corsica next year that will be a different story.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Include me in if there is any sort of Fun rally following the Tour next year! Seems an ideal way to combine new hobby [motorhoming] with longstanding obsession [cycling].

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Include me in if there is any sort of Fun rally following the Tour next year! Seems an ideal way to combine new hobby [motorhoming] with longstanding obsession [cycling].

So long as we get the time off again we will be following again. Can't miss our van, flags, bunting oh and if you are unlucky, me in the union flag tutu & terry in the union flag onesie:ROFLMAO:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Next years route is always announced in October.

Mount Ventoux is a nice place to visit on the tour as it's such a long climb on Gigondas side, yes that's Gigondas the famous wine:thumb:

We have been there several times now although usually off Tour but even then the climb is full every day with cyclists. There's a nice trick on the summit where you can pass used newspapers to the riders that they put down the front of their shirt to keep them warm on the descent... 3-4hrs up 15-20mins down:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back