Tour de France - Spectating

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by bryandh, Jul 21, 2012.

1. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Have been watching the televised highlights of the Tour in recent days, not so much out of interest in road racing, although it is a fabulous sporting event. However my recent viewing interest has been inspired by seeing the huge number of MH's parked up in any and every available level (and some not so level) spots to view the passing racers.
    Is it as easy as turning up the day before, finding a spot and pitching up ?
    Anybody done/doing it ?

Regards, Bryandh

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

2014 for us :BigGrin:

If you're watching live today and didn't notice??? it's on ITV1HD as well as ITV4

3. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Not interested in watching live..... highlights do me. Who watches daytime TV...... when we got 14 hours of sunshine here a day to enjoy ? ........ LOL:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: By the way...couple of questions in OP.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. Techno

Highlights may well be on ITV4 only.
    I prefer HD and the time trial is of all importance to me as a seasoned veteran tester.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

On short stages you may well have to get there 3 days ahead, especially for mountain top finishes and might not get back down until the day after. It's impossible to see more than 6 or 7 stages so forward planning is essential.

• Like Like x 2
  6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Yep, is for us too :thumb:

Been enthralled watching on TV this year, Ive been watching it quite a bit because its been so bad outside.

I just love the thought of being so close to real athletes.

look like we might have to get a rolling meet together, from one stage to another. :Wink:

• Like Like x 5
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

..and a seed is sown:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Techno

Route for 2014 is published October 2013 so 8 months to plan.
    The wife can dump you and bike at bottom of Ventoux and meet you at the top lol

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Instead of Dutch corner you could have Fun corner. If Yorkshire win the bid to start the tour in 2014 then we could defo have a meet.

Sonja

• Like Like x 3
  10. Techno

It would be the one stage to miss! it would cost too much lost time getting ahead of the tour

11. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Now that is an interesting thought. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Would be nice to get back on thread and maybe have some answers to the questions in the OP. Seems a waste of time to post threads if they constantly drift off into trivia.

Bryandh

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Bryan where did it drift off. ?? Your question was answered (3 - 7 days) The rest is chat about those that would like to follow it. Where is the trivia?

• Like Like x 1
  14. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Couple of us are hoping to get over next year and watch the stage thats the time trial, have been told that you have to be there a day or so in advance and even earlier on the mountain stretches so as to get a parking spot

15. JJ

JJ Funster

OP Question...

Answer to OP question...

And a suggestion based on the OP...

I have wanted to checkout the Tour de France for ages... I understand that the actual competitors riding by is merely the climax to what is a great party amongst the spectators and the villagers which starts well before the race comes through and continues well after!

I would love to join a Funster Rolling Meet... already planning to make up a number and join the end of the peleton on my Made in Thailand, £60 mountain bike... :Cool:

Bradley Who?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Bryan, I thought the highlighted bit in your first post was what I was answering? anyone else doing it was what you asked

Not a waste of a thread or post, looks like you have sown the seed for an interesting meet and a chance to catch JJ riding the tour de france on a Taiwanese mountain bike :thumb:

17. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Since around 2006 we have been going although until this year with the car and the tin tent although the later was at site while we went in the car. This year with the MH we missed it due to timing and meeting up with relatives in the wrong place at the wrong time, although it did come here this year so we went for the local stage in the car.

Pyrenees is best for me as it gets spectators but not as busy as the Alps and it closer to some nice Vineyards:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leltel

Leltel Funster

We followed the tour de france last year and this. Half the fun is taking all your flags etc down after the bikes have gone through and heading straight to the next stage to find a verge or layby for the night along route.
    The mouintains got closed near the top 5 days before this year as we found out, much to our vans demise when I burnt the clutch trying to reverse round with a drop one side:Doh:
    The atmosphere is fab and so are most of the people! Have to add that I hate watching it on telly, but hubby is a fanatic so only go for his sake...honest!

• Like Like x 1
  19. B-well

B-well Funster

Well we were tossing between Rutland week after touring lakes or heading south. France won due to some dubious weather predictions. decided to head south , towards tours/vendee area, but got caught up with Tour-de-France nr calais ,went on towards Rouen looking for Aire but found out i should have been circling Rheims however parked up along the seine with another GB van soon to be followed by x2 french vans small car park was then full, found out we were next to a relative of thomas who was in the tour,before race came through support car stopped and handed out handful of jerseys.T shirts. next got talking to elderly chap Norman Russell who said he was in tour race in 63/64 many stories told, however he was in a van and as a previous rider moves on at each stage a gets some perks re van parking . any way found best to find the route and plan to arrive at least full day ahead. do not plan to take photos as they pass through or you will miss it. Had great time and stayed put in the area. phew this went on a bit but with moho you just don't know where your end up or who you meet

• Like Like x 2
  20. B-well

B-well Funster

someone just told me the tour starts in Corsica next year that will be a different story.